Talk

Advanced search

To not know how old ds was when he did things?

(27 Posts)
fastingmum123 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:22:17

My youngest ds 5 is being referred to speach therapy and I've been given a form to fill out. The problem I have is it asks questions like "how old was he when he first..." Walked, sat up ect. And I don't have a clue. I'm awful with that sort of thing couldn't even tell you the time any of my three where born even. I know if it was morning noon or night but that's it.

I know this is a massive mummy fail but am I the only person who can't remember these things?

EatShitDerek Mon 07-Mar-16 18:23:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FurryFox Mon 07-Mar-16 18:24:48

Dd1 I remember most things, dd2 I remember some things, dd3 is lucky if I remember her name grin

MargotLovedTom Mon 07-Mar-16 18:27:53

I've forgotten most of it. I blame having three close together and everything blurring into one.

I've read posts on here where people state with great certainty the weight or shoe size their child was years ago at a certain age, and I just think how the hell do they remember?!

BackforGood Mon 07-Mar-16 18:27:56

No, YANBU. I have the odd memory from pfb, but no idea when the other 2 did these things.

RhodaBull Mon 07-Mar-16 18:30:58

I have no idea either. If dd asks, I make it up blush . Sil showed me her books she's made for her three dds charting their milestones (every flippin' move they've made) to adulthood and I was rather shamed. I can remember masses about ds (pfb) but dd, er... not so much.

twirlypoo Mon 07-Mar-16 18:31:22

I honestly think I have blanked out huge parts of Ds life - I feel really guilty too for not being able to remember stuff. Thank god for facebook "on this day" or I would be stuffed grin

hazeyjane Mon 07-Mar-16 18:32:37

I think you only really remember these things if it is early or late.

With dd1 I remembering when she walked (16 months), because dd2 was 4 months old, and those 4 months were a nightmare!
Dd2 I remember didn't walk until she was nearly 2 due to hypermobility.
I can't remember when either of them talked, but it was in average parameters.

Ds is delayed physically and developmentally, so each milestone is etched into my brain, because each inchstone was huge, let alone milestone....sitting 15months, walking 30 months, first word at 4.

I would have a look at deve!opmental milestones in birth - 5 and have a rough guess.

Cutecat78 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:35:21

I god I had one of these when DS2 went for his ASD assessment - I felt TEERIBLE there were all these things I had no idea (or record) of.

In my defence he's my third child he brings himself up grin

CoughsNColds Mon 07-Mar-16 18:35:48

I remember DS walked at 9 months, but DD was 18 months before she walked. Think I remember that because I was really worried about DD after having such an early walker first time round.

Other than that...I couldnt tell you when they rolled over, sat up, crawled etc. Cant even remember when they started speaking, although vaguely recall DS talked early, DD a bit later....

I'm always amazed when people can tell you every detail years later.

duckyneedsaclean Mon 07-Mar-16 18:36:32

I never remember either. Awful mother, I am.

Nicknamegrief Mon 07-Mar-16 18:36:56

It's alright not to remember or give an approximate age for these things. As an SLT it's really if they are significantly late that we are interested and for more complex speech and language problems that these numbers are informative.
I struggle to remember my children's milestones too.

lizzydrippingsghost Mon 07-Mar-16 18:47:32

you think thats bad
i dont know whose who in the baby photos, i have to look at the furniture like carpits and wallpaper and make a guess , like we didnt have that carpit down when ds3 was born
i am a bad mother
(they are all boys by the way grin

cosytoaster Mon 07-Mar-16 18:54:29

I can remember when mine walked as the first was on the late-ish side and the second on the early side, but that is literally it - no idea re sitting up, rolling over, sleeping through, what/when first words were etc etc. It's like I've blanked out about four years or so.

cocochanel21 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:56:17

I've got a 23year age gap between my dd's.

Dd2 is 14weeks

I'm not going to even try to remember dd1's milestones grin.

fastingmum123 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:57:20

I'm bad at that too I'm very guilty to say that I only know if which of the two boys it is by the fact my youngest has a deformed earlobe. If his face is facing the other way though I have no idea. Can only tell my oldest in pictures as she tends to be wearing the tonnes of pink my family bought her.

EponasWildDaughter Mon 07-Mar-16 19:01:07

Oh i'm glad it's not just me!

My MIL loves to regale me with stories about what funny things DH did and said when he was this age and that age. I really struggle to think of things which my older 3 (by XH) did.

Perhaps, as a pp said, it's because i had the 3 v.close together and my days were a blur of keeping them warm, fed, clean and happy and the tiny details have got lost sad

EponasWildDaughter Mon 07-Mar-16 19:02:07

coco - you beat me grin

16 year gap between no.3 and no.4 here.

BillBrysonsBeard Mon 07-Mar-16 19:02:25

When my DS was born, I asked my mum and MIL all these questions about when us kids did stuff and I was surprised they couldn't remember (even though it was at least 30 years ago...) Now DS is two and the fog has descended grin Don't have a clue!

NeedACleverNN Mon 07-Mar-16 19:06:49

I have a hit and miss

I can remember both children's date and time of birth

I can remember when Dd started crawling and walking because it was late (13 months and 18 months) and I remember when she first fed herself because I was so excited (19 weeks) I cannot remember when she first sat up, spoke (although I know it was da da) or did anything else. Dd is 3

Ds...I know he's been belly crawling a few months but I can't tell you when he started. He's been able to sit up for a while but again I don't know when he started. I do know when he started crawling properly as it was only on Thursday grin. I don't know when he started feeding himself either...he's only just turned one so its not like it's a long time ago

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Mon 07-Mar-16 19:09:47

Thought it was just me.

This thread has made me feel better. Thanks OP smile

CrohnicallyAspie Mon 07-Mar-16 20:17:21

I remember some things just because of when they happened... Eg DD was immobile at our wedding, we booked a last minute honeymoon with a pool only for DD to suddenly be crawling by the time we got there.

First tooth? First word? Not a clue, I probably wrote it in her red book but I can't remember where that is either!

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 07-Mar-16 20:49:30

I don't remember dates either. I don't remember what their first words were. I don't remember what their favourite bedtime story was. I don't remember what the first solid food they ate was. Also I have twins and for some of the things I do remember I can't say which child it was. I remember they didn't sleep enough though!

But don't lie on the form. Because they may be using that to decide what sort of intervention he needs (if you put dates that are later than was the case, they may erroneously think he has more serious delay issues. If you put earlier dates they miss discount something they should look more closely at). Just say you don't know.

TheNoodlesIncident Mon 07-Mar-16 20:57:11

YY to remembering things by what was happening at the time.

I can only remember vaguely, all a bit hazy those days. I found DS's red book once and looked through it, noticing that I had hardly put anything in at all. All the milestones I have no idea of, although he was a late and hesitant talker; can't recall if sitting up, walking etc came "on time". And in my defence...

No, no actual defence, this is my one and only dc blush

And that red book: in all the times I took it with me to appointments, it was NEVER asked for. Eventually I stopped bothering to take it. Appointment letters still ask for it to be brought with us, and he's seven...

Oh yes, his first word was "bus".

Hygellig Mon 07-Mar-16 22:01:11

I only remember quite vaguely. I have a few milestones and some notes written down in the baby books, but didn't fill them out in nearly as much detail as I could have. Already their babyhood seems a bit of a blur. I know what time they were born and that DS walked at 16 months and DD at 15 months (roughly). First teeth I can't remember off-hand but would have to look in the book.

My mum's friend has written something every day in a five-year diary since she was about 15; I bet she would know all this stuff for her DCs! In hindsight that would be a great thing to have done as I would be able to say what I (and my children when born) had done every day of my life, but too late now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now