Talk

Advanced search

Mother's Day song

(29 Posts)
Thetruthfairy Sun 06-Mar-16 19:35:00

Okay, so my youngest is in reception. She attends a really lovely school, lovely teachers; we have been happy so far.
However, today dd very proudly sang me the Mother's Day song she had been learning at school. The teachers had done a job of teaching her all of the words and I gave her a super big cuddle when she had finished. To be honest though I felt like stopping her at serveral points to have a little chat about the lyrics.
Example 'my mum is really quite clever, although she may not have a degree'
'She does the cooking and cleaning and makes a really nice tea.'
Hummmm...
Is it just me or do you think the lyrics are, how shall I put this... outdated!?
And a little bit shocking. Dh gives talks on gender equality and he thinks we should write a little note to the teacher.
WWyd?

lizzydrippingsghost Sun 06-Mar-16 19:50:03

maybe degree and tea was all the teacher could think of that rhymed

Fleck Sun 06-Mar-16 20:30:39

My daughter's school sung exactly the same song at their Mother's Day assembly. I also felt uneasy about the lyrics (I wanted up stand up and announce that I have a phd, am crap at cleaning and her dad does most of the cooking!). I've decided I would just look churlish to complain though...

BackforGood Sun 06-Mar-16 20:54:50

I don' t think I'd write a note.... might casually mention something in conversation though........

Thetruthfairy Sun 06-Mar-16 20:55:08

Ha, that is how I feel fleck. I really don't want to be a spoiler mum but.....
I have a very good degree God damn it😉

dumbbelle Sun 06-Mar-16 20:58:19

This needs challenging.

I would be hugely worried an institution responsible for educating my daughter is indoctrinating her with sexist claptrap.

What if she wants to be a highly educated slattern like her mother?

I would mention it. My kids would challenge this at the time, though, as they know me! grin

BestDayEver Sun 06-Mar-16 21:00:07

Yep, we have this song as well. Second year of my eldest singing it constantly for 2 weeks before their Mother's day assembly. Don't want to spoil it for her but have pointed out that I do have a degree, and a first to boot. She has very reasonably pointed out that the lyrics say "might not" not "does not". Still rankles, and there seems to be no Father's Day equivalent song!

Thetruthfairy Sun 06-Mar-16 21:07:56

Bestdayever, that is exactly what myself and hubby were saying... Would cooking cleaning or a lack of a degree be mentioned in a Father's Day song? we think not. Ach.. I might have to say something...

Hrafnkel Sun 06-Mar-16 21:41:31

You are me two years ago. I was shockshockshock no one else seemed bothered. The whole set of lyrics are outrageous. I am not even good at cleaning ffs!

In the end I didn't complain but regretted it. This year I was expecting the worst but it was a different song thank god.

Yadefnbu and I would say something.

RaeSkywalker Mon 07-Mar-16 05:13:25

shock please complain OP, this is not on!

Junosmum Mon 07-Mar-16 06:24:53

I don't think I could not say something, I wouldn't want my child's school peddling such sexist claptrap.

gunting Mon 07-Mar-16 06:29:50

I'd say something

Deletetheheat Mon 07-Mar-16 06:33:01

It would annoy me actually and I'm not really one to take things to heart.

I've not heard of this song, it sounds vacuous and pretty irrelevant.

Considering I'm a shit cook, don't do much housework, work FT and have two degrees, my dc would have probably challenged this themselves!

RaskolnikovsGarret Mon 07-Mar-16 06:42:26

How appalling. At DDs' school, I would have thought that mothers without a degree were in a minority, and even if they weren't, the song would have still been dreadful. What a strange song to sing?? I would definitely raise it.

AStreetcarNamedBob Mon 07-Mar-16 06:51:52

Oh gosh please please say something.

They are responsible for her education and are perpetuating the stereotypes that women need to fight against daily.

I'm shocked!! So shocked and I'd be livid.

MackerelOfFact Mon 07-Mar-16 06:57:05

Oh wow, that's pretty outrageous!

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I guess the song is trying to say, in a cack-handed way, that Mums know things that can't be taught. But it does just sound like they're saying mums are stupid and can only clean the house! confused

MyUserNameIsGreat Mon 07-Mar-16 07:19:13

My nephew, aged 5, had a special assembly for mothers day (only Reception do it as it's their first year) and he had to sing "Thank you mummy for all you do, cooking cleaning and washing too"... not only outdated but also his mum has been in hospital for 4 months and even before she went into hospital she rarely cooked, cleaned or washed. For the past 4 months its been me, his auntie, who has done his cooking, cleaning and washing.

Oysterbabe Mon 07-Mar-16 07:29:48

I'd be outraged at the use of tea to mean dinner wink

SalemSaberhagen Mon 07-Mar-16 07:34:08

shock this is actually a widely used song?! Please say something OP.

Oysterbabe Mon 07-Mar-16 08:01:34

I think this is it.

acasualobserver Mon 07-Mar-16 08:09:09

Do write to the school. But keep it light - this isn't the worst offence against equal opportunities that could have happened.

Fleck Wed 09-Mar-16 03:38:51

Arghh just caught up with this thread and feel like I need to say something to DDs school now. Drafting an email in my head when I really should be sleeping...

VashtaNerada Wed 09-Mar-16 05:16:24

I would complain about something like this and have in the past. If you're calm and reasonable when you complain, IME they're generally pretty good and do actually make changes. They have a legal duty to promote equality and they have got it wrong on this occasion.

scarednoob Wed 09-Mar-16 05:22:25

Lyrics here - note the copyright is "out of the ark limited" - how appropriate

images.scholastic.co.uk/assets/a/9f/8f/my-mum-lyrics-524534.pdf

molyholy Wed 09-Mar-16 07:04:39

I would definitely send an email to the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now