Talk

Advanced search

Looking Well

(14 Posts)
cleaty Sun 06-Mar-16 19:19:54

I have been seriously ill for a long time, but am now much better. Today I went to a family gathering and multiple people said to me that I looked really well. AIBU to accept they mean I look well and not think it is a veiled insult about the extra weight I have put on?

Yellowbird54321 Sun 06-Mar-16 19:27:23

I reckon in the circumstances you've described, they genuinely meant you are looking well / better, rather than you've piled on the pounds.

YoJesse Sun 06-Mar-16 19:29:58

I'm sure that they meant it nicely as in you are looking good.

Some cultures mean it as in putting on weight, but they are usually cultures that celebrate a curvier body anyway.

Owllady Sun 06-Mar-16 19:30:18

It doesn't matter if you've put on weight, as long as you are well! Family are generally thankful their loved ones are getting better smile

FigMango1 Sun 06-Mar-16 19:33:41

Veiled insult? I think you're being really oversensitive. I'm sure that they are just glad that you are feeling and looking much better. That's a good thing.

PortobelloRoad Sun 06-Mar-16 19:37:12

I don't know why people consider it an insult to say you're looking well. I've only ever heard that on here. It's paranoia.

I think given the context of your illness they mean that you genuinely look well as in healthy.

Glad you're feeling better flowers

LovelyBranches Sun 06-Mar-16 19:41:40

I say to people that they look well. I have never meant it in reference to their weight, always that they genuinely look healthier and nicer. I wouldn't worry, take it as a compliment.

Scarydinosaurs Sun 06-Mar-16 19:43:15

Why would you think they would want to insult you?

Lurkedforever1 Sun 06-Mar-16 19:51:37

Wouldn't cross my mind to use 'looking well' as an alternative way to say someone has gained weight. It would just mean they were looking well, nothing to do with their weight at all. Then again someone would need to gain about 5 stone since I'd last seen them for it to even register with me. And even then I wouldn't comment on it.

Birdsgottafly Sun 06-Mar-16 19:56:25

I've had similar circumstances, I've been ill since October, in hospital etc. I'm on Steroids, so I'm puffy and have gained weight, but I look much better than I did a month ago.

I've took the comments as them being nice and wanting to say something positive, because I'm not better, yet and won't be for at least a couple of months.

RuggerHug Sun 06-Mar-16 19:56:34

I wouldn't think of it as a weight comment at all. In fact I think I say 'jaze aren't you looking fierce well' to anyone who is...looking well at all. As in looking great. I never thought it could be seen as an insult.

I am now a bit worried as to how many people I may have accidentally insulted blush

manicinsomniac Sun 06-Mar-16 20:15:06

Isn't it only an eating disordered thing to take 'looking well' to mean fat?

I think most people would mean and seeit as a good thing.

BonitaFangita Sun 06-Mar-16 20:28:15

Gee Rugger, I'm getting concerned now! I say that to people too, and I never though it meant someone has gained weight!
Cleaty I know from experience that illness can knock your confidence, but I'm sure your family were happy to see you recovering from your illness. I hope that it didn't spoil your day flowers

cleaty Sun 06-Mar-16 21:02:45

I was fine with the comments. But I have seen others on here complaining about this being said to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now