to buy cheaper sofa even though I do the like it as much

(33 Posts)
mycatsloveeachother Sun 06-Mar-16 07:21:25

Or should I save up for more expensive one, wwyd? smile

Katenka Sun 06-Mar-16 07:26:43

It depends how desperate you are.

When we bought our house our old sofa was completely knackered. So we got cheaper one. We were desperate for a new one and couldn't afford the one we wanted. It's lasted four years and is fairly knackered now. But we have the money to buy a better one so we are going to look next week.

FishWithABicycle Sun 06-Mar-16 07:28:55

When I had this dilemma everyone I asked said that the expensive one will be cheaper in the long run as it will last longer and you spend so much of your precious and too-rare resting time on the sofa that skimping will have a significant effect. What would be the impact on your general ability to balance the budget if you go for the pricy one?

mycatsloveeachother Sun 06-Mar-16 07:31:30

Well, basically I don't have one at the moment! I did have one but it was utterly disgustingly filthy, saggy, worn and just - yeah!

I could afford [[ this www.dfs.co.uk/mawson/3-seater-sofa-mawson-ri]]b in maybe 3 weeks?

But I am hankering after [[ this www.dfs.co.uk/loch-leven/grand-pillow-back-sofa-loch-leven#3hQGUjaJUzpXyiaM.9]]7

mycatsloveeachother Sun 06-Mar-16 07:31:47

Ok, so the quick link thing did not really work!

randomsabreuse Sun 06-Mar-16 07:34:05

How much more do you like the more expensive one. When we replaced our sofas we spent ages comparing 2 we liked and eventually decided we marginally preferred the more expensive one but not by the £500 difference so went with the cheaper one that we would have just bought very happily had the more expensive one been way out of budget so wouldn't have even tried it!

mycatsloveeachother Sun 06-Mar-16 07:35:25

I don't know random ... hard to say!

I love it but I also think the cheaper one might get trashed clawed by cats and cat hair on it so I guess on the whole that would be more sensible wouldn't it?

Snog Sun 06-Mar-16 07:36:46

I got fab sofas second hand, they are a tiny fraction of the price, very happy with mine

mycatsloveeachother Sun 06-Mar-16 07:38:01

Yeah ... I thought about second hand but I think I'd want new, really blush

WizzardHat Sun 06-Mar-16 07:41:37

I also got great sofas second hand. One of my friends has the Mawson one (the cheaper one linked) and it's shit. She hadn't had it long either, before it started to go. Apparently it's because her DH likes to take naps on it, but surely that's normal use for a sofa slattern

VulcanWoman Sun 06-Mar-16 07:45:21

How much is the price difference between the two, is the first one the grey sofa, I don't think the first link worked properly when I clicked it.

mycatsloveeachother Sun 06-Mar-16 07:46:35

Sofa 1 is £379; sofa 2 is over £1000

Flisspaps Sun 06-Mar-16 07:49:52

Buy a really cheap second hand one for now if you have no sofa (or get one from Freegle) and save for the fancy one that you like.

SoupDragon Sun 06-Mar-16 07:54:28

Cost aside, IMO the Mawson one is hideous.... Is there no other option?

Do you have small children? If so, I would be reluctant to go for an expensive sofa.

kimlo Sun 06-Mar-16 07:54:35

Ive got a sofa with cushions like that on the back like that. Never again Im always sorting them out, they never sit properly.

mycatsloveeachother Sun 06-Mar-16 07:55:29

Don't you like it Soup? How come? (Meant genuinely)

I don't have small children but hoping to have a baby soonish - in 18 months or so.

SoupDragon Sun 06-Mar-16 07:58:34

It's the bit that is the solid colour I think ruins it. Of course, it's all personal taste!

If you are going to start a family, washable covers are, IMO, a must. Kids throw up on sofas, they spill stuff, they write their sodding name on it, you potty train them and they have accidents...

My youngest is now 10 and I am now thinking of swapping my trusty IKEA Ektorps for something more sophisticated.

mycatsloveeachother Sun 06-Mar-16 08:00:44

I had a beige one with washable covers!

It was covered by a throw and then got so revolting it had to go.

My friend has a similar one to the Mawson one and I like it blush grin

VulcanWoman Sun 06-Mar-16 08:01:14

I think a compromise is in order, one in between those prices.
I do like the look of a lot of the DFS sofas but wouldn't like to go in store because of the hard sell and they won't let you buy anything off their website unless you phone them up to listen to the hard sell, puts me off that company.

mycatsloveeachother Sun 06-Mar-16 08:02:48

I know what you mean Vulcan.

I know I want a brown-ey sofa and one that's comfy!

Merrylegs Sun 06-Mar-16 08:04:58

Don't get a pillow back. You will be forever plumping.

greenfolder Sun 06-Mar-16 08:18:09

Second don't get a pillow back sofa. It will drive you nuts and never be comfy

BarbaraofSeville Sun 06-Mar-16 08:32:51

Is that the only cheaper one you've seen? I got a leather one from ikea a couple of years ago for £395 a couple of years ago and it's still like new.

SoupDragon Sun 06-Mar-16 08:37:44

I loved our old pillow backed sofa. It was like a nest.

randomsabreuse Sun 06-Mar-16 08:42:00

We went here

www.scfurnitureltd.co.uk/

After traipsing around dfs (did not get much attention as we clearly disliked the sofas as we sat on them) SCS and furniture village and not seeing anything suitable second hand, DH found this place and we liked them. About £500 for 3 seat leather recliner - they do have deals for suites as well and cheaper options too but we wanted leather due to dog and baby. Not too pushy and do deliver nationally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now