Talk

Advanced search

To not fess up that an item went through the till at a much lower price than on the price ticket?

(67 Posts)
usual Fri 04-Mar-16 20:41:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TattyDevine Fri 04-Mar-16 20:43:52

Wouldn't lose sleep over it. But I am from a country where the price ticket is the sale price, no matter what.

Here, I might have said "yes, okay than" and the is up to her.

But it's really not your issue, I feel.

Myredcardigan Fri 04-Mar-16 20:44:49

It's up to you. I once spent a couple of hundred pounds in JL at Christmas. I had about 4 bags and when I got home I realised they'd also included 2 very sought after, very expensive toys totalling about £120. They weren't on my receipt so I hadn't paid for them. They'd been on the shelf were she packed my stuff. I braved Christmas Eve traffic the following day to take them back even though DS would have loved them.

londonrach Fri 04-Mar-16 20:45:31

I love it when that happens. Last time i bought a jumper in the sale for half price but by the time i got to the till it was half again as last day in the sale. Left with a smile on my face!

ghostoftheMNchicken Fri 04-Mar-16 20:46:08

I usually say something like 'ooh, that's a result, I thought it would be more expensive,' and I have never had them say 'well you can bastarding pay the higher price then, you jammy cunt!' Ive done shopwork and I highly doubt they would have made you pay the proper price when the difference is less than a tenner. Not worth the loss of customer satisfaction.

So I think YABU. Or YANBU. Can't decide which. grin

Myredcardigan Fri 04-Mar-16 20:46:26

But if it scanned through at £4.50 it was probably reduced unless it had a rogue reduced sticker on there.

myusernamewastaken Fri 04-Mar-16 20:46:58

'Never look a gift horse in the mouth' x

Coconutty Fri 04-Mar-16 20:47:18

The80sweregreat Fri 04-Mar-16 20:47:25

Well done! Im sure a multi million pound corporation can absorb less than tenner.
Im surprised she didnt query it more though and check the ticket again.

usual Fri 04-Mar-16 20:48:33

usual Fri 04-Mar-16 20:49:31

sleepyhead Fri 04-Mar-16 20:49:36

The scanned price is far more likely to be the price the shop intended to sell it at.

I've got stung the other way in Tesco when they scanned price was more than the shelf price. They certainly didn't offer to mark it down for me.

usual Fri 04-Mar-16 20:51:04

ohidoliketobe Fri 04-Mar-16 20:51:35

I've worked I retail. Don't worry about it, it'll have been reduced on the system and the staff won't have had chance to re price it or missed it when doing so. I've seen leather handbags reduced from £100+ to about £5 because they're a few seasons old and it's all just automated reductions on the pricing system.

froggyjump Fri 04-Mar-16 20:51:49

I think the scanned price is more likely to be correct than the ticket price. So it had been reduced again and had not yet had a new ticket on.

I have a skirt that I bought in a sale, half price. Went in the shop again months later, and they had the same style skirts, in different colours half price again - great! picked up 2 in different colours. Got to the till and they scanned for £1 each. Cashier confirmed it was correct so I have 3 skirts for less than the full price of one.

Lanark2 Fri 04-Mar-16 20:52:40

I did this for puffa jacket at ASDA.. Prived at £20 came up at £5. Its a great jacket, I bought 3 one for the car in case (it's great and warm and a brilliant extra layer with a hood) and one for my dad.

There were loads of them! About 2weeks later they were officially reduced to£5.

Its my favourite jacket! grin

twinkletoedelephant Fri 04-Mar-16 20:52:50

I bought a wooden snakes and ladders/ ludo board game for ds..... At the checkout it scanned at a pound...

I dropped shopping in car went back and bought 10 more great for birthday parties/school rainy day :

Smiled about that all day

Katedotness1963 Fri 04-Mar-16 20:53:02

I'd have told her the price I thought it was. Years ago I bought something for £40 that scanned at £4. I had a bunch of other stuff and didn't notice straight away. It niggled at me though so I went through my receipt when I got home, figured it out and went back the next day (half an hour on the bus). Took bloody ages to sort it out, the woman behind the counter clearly thought I was mad. I'd never have enjoyed the item if I hadn't paid for it....

greenfolder Fri 04-Mar-16 20:53:43

Happy days I say, especially as it's tesco.

It will probably not make a dent in the number of offers on the shelves that then don't go through the tills.

My fav was ikea. Queued up for a fortnight to pay. Presented all my items. Got out and realised I had been undercharged by at least £100 odd quid cos they had assumed that some of the boxes were all part of one thing.

Did I go back? Did I fuck.

YesILikeItToo Fri 04-Mar-16 20:53:56

The last time this happened to me I was served after someone who had been having a very hard time from the till guy because she had hoped to buy something at the price on the shelf and he was insisting that the till price was higher. So I judged that sauce-goose-gander and pocketed the difference. I think I would normally alert the person to the difference, but it sounds as though your till person was alert!

newyear16 Fri 04-Mar-16 20:54:31

I always point it out. I bought a £50 bag reduced to £40 but the cashier rang up £4.00. It was obviously a mistake and I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I'd only paid that amount. when I pointed it out to the cashier she was very grateful.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 04-Mar-16 20:54:53

I would do the same as the pp re John Lewis. Nothing so dramatic, but I've offered to return plates to homebase, a vest to Asda and I've gone back to tesco to pay for an eyeliner I inadvertently left in the bottom of the trolley. This one though, I'd accept. Unless you've been switching the barcodes, you pay the price that comes up at the till.

Chattymummyhere Fri 04-Mar-16 20:56:06

Tesco did this with Lego a while back £10+ sets going though at £2 and the baby born dolls going though at £3.50.

It's their system to control and if the price has been lowered even by mistake on the system once you've paid you have done nothing wrong as you just paid the price they asked for.

InisSunset Fri 04-Mar-16 20:56:07

You're lucky, in my experience in Tesco the price at the till is often a lot higher than what it says on the shelf. I have to scrutinise my receipts. I've lost count of how many times Tesco has nearly got away with overcharging me.

hiddenhome2 Fri 04-Mar-16 21:02:27

I got a 'free' Billy bookcase and a mattress from IKEA once. They were definitely scanned as I watched her do it. It wasn't until I got home that I thought "hang on, I didn't pay much there" (I had bought quite a few items).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now