To ask for help in calculating dimensions of this John Lewis corner desk

(9 Posts)
DoorOFF Fri 04-Mar-16 20:35:44

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-staten-glass-corner-desk/p230430054

(I love maths, I'm just not sure how to interpret the description!)

I need a sofa to also go along the wall with this, so I need to work out how long the corner sides are to see if it will all fit along a particular wall?

The sofa I'm (probably) picking up 2nd hand tomorrow morning so no time to call up and check (I was in John Lewis this evening and forgot to measure blush!)

It says "Dimensions: H75 x W130 x D100cm". So assuming W is the widest bit across the desk?

I've tried modelling W as the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle and used Pythagoras, but that makes the sides 91.92... which I think is a bit too big!

CrohnicallyAspie Fri 04-Mar-16 20:46:08

I think you were right, the 130cm is across the desk, and the sides are just under 92cm, in which case the 100cm measurement is from the corner of the wall to one of the furthest sticky out points.

DoorOFF Fri 04-Mar-16 20:51:21

I'm sure of my calculation, but when I saw the desk in the store it seemed off? Is my model making the wrong assumption, because its more curved than a straight right angle triangle?

confused

CrohnicallyAspie Fri 04-Mar-16 20:51:23

The sides are about 92cm from the corner of the wall, I mean, not the desk measurement because some is 'lost' to the curve.

The shortest sides (bottom of the L shaped glass legs) would be about 40cm, the curve you sit against would be about 75cm across... Does that all sound about right?

CrohnicallyAspie Fri 04-Mar-16 20:53:16

X post- you haven't made the wrong assumption, because you want to look at wall space rather than actual desk size, and if you fitted it right into the corner the wall does make a right angled triangle with the widest point of the desk.

What do you mean, it seemed off in the store?

CrohnicallyAspie Fri 04-Mar-16 20:54:10

Or are you not planning on putting it in a corner?

DoorOFF Fri 04-Mar-16 20:57:22

ah I think thats it! Yes in a corner smile. I didn't think it was gonna take up 92cm of wall from "seeing it" but I wasn't sure if it was wishful thinking on my part (followed by sitting and swearing in a room full of oversized bits...).

many thanks!

CrohnicallyAspie Fri 04-Mar-16 20:58:45

A picture is worth 1000 words... Excuse the crap drawing, it's on my DD's drawing program on my ipad!

(Disclaimer: all sizes are approximate, if it turns out these aren't the dimensions, don't blame me, blame John Lewis for not explaining sizing clearly!)

CrohnicallyAspie Fri 04-Mar-16 20:59:56

Your eye will have been tricked by the curve and the fact that it's glass and see-through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now