Talk

Advanced search

To think I've turned a corner at last?

(6 Posts)
Finallythereatlast Fri 04-Mar-16 17:53:23

Professionally I always did well and I had a veneer of respectability. My parents died young and I don't know if it was because of this, but for whatever reason I had no grip on being an adult.

However, personally my life was a car crash. After leaving university, I promptly decided I had to have all the trimmings of adult life and plunged myself into heavy debt. Car loans, store cards, credit cards - I had the lot. It all came crashing down of course and I couldn't pay vital bills or even get myself into work on a couple of memorable for the wrong reason moments.

I took the sensible approach of burying my head into the sand and I just let the car wreckage continue. A trust fund meant I could buy a small home but I didn't look after it. I didn't look after anything I had: drove cars uninsured, had one taken away by the police, let the house get into a disgusting state (partly dirt/mess but also not keeping on top of stuff that needed doing.)

I won't dwell.

But two years ago I decided to change. My credit report is improving - it's 'fair', soon it will be 'good' smile I've paid off vital debts, I never let things like car insurance lapse, I prioritise bills.

Best of all I've been putting spare money into home improvements and I now have a gorgeous house. Everyone comments on how nice it is. It's a pleasure to keep nice.

So - AIBU to be pleased and horrified? Pleased I've finally sorted myself out but upset it took me so long to realise?

FigMango1 Fri 04-Mar-16 17:55:04

Oh well done on turning this around thanks
It doesn't matter about what's done, the most important is that you've had the realization and now it will motivate you to stay on track. Better late than never. Good luck.

Finallythereatlast Fri 04-Mar-16 18:13:07

Thank you flowers

I do have regrets mainly about (probably) leaving it too late to marry but never say never.

Rubberduck2 Fri 04-Mar-16 18:29:36

Well done OP. Sometimes I think we all have a period in life where we all of a sudden grow up! We have just moved in to out forever home and I'm being such a sensible person by tidying up after myself lol. Don't look back, keep doing what your doing and move forwards! Don't forget to smile whilst your doing it grin

AlwaysDancing1234 Fri 04-Mar-16 18:31:47

Don't dwell on what went wrong, be proud that you recognised the need for change and made a positive move in the right direction flowers

confusedandemployed Fri 04-Mar-16 18:33:54

Congratulations flowers

I have been there, although not quite so extreme. Got into horrific debt, which my DF bailed me out of and then loved hand to mouth for about 8 years.

I'm completely different now. I'm anal about all my bank accounts and I know exactly what's in each one, what my monthly outgoings are and what I will have left to play with. I have a monthly spreadsheet which i complete religiously obsessively . It's so much nicer knowing you will definitely make it to the end of the month without running out of cash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now