Talk

Advanced search

To hate gifting cash as it reveals exactly how much I've spent?!

(4 Posts)
SnozzberryWibble Fri 04-Mar-16 15:19:01

I am fed up with my family members asking for cash instead of gifts for their children... I get that they'd rather me just give cash than spend money on tat they won't use... But basically, I'm a bit tight, and I like shopping for a bargain that looks more expensive than it really is - I can't do that if I'm forced to give cash!

E.g. A nice pair of real silver earrings for £10 - they could be worth up to £30 for all the recipient knows. Nice toddler clothes in the sale, same thing. Could cost £10, but look like they're worth much more! But if I'm asked to give cash that means I feel I have to spend the higher amount or I look tight sad

Surely the fact that it's conventional to peel price labels off gifts shows that the recipient is not meant to know how much you've spent.

Grr.

AIBU?

monkeysox Fri 04-Mar-16 15:56:50

Yanbu I love a bargain too grin

CosyNook Fri 04-Mar-16 15:59:37

Yes but if they don't use it, it's a complete waste of money altogether.

BookDayWorld Fri 04-Mar-16 16:00:10

Yes I'm with you.

Not because I'm necessarily tight but often because I'm on a tight budget.
I can pick up a really nice children's book set in wh smiths for a fiver but I'd feel like a fiver would look tight and pathetic in a card so would have to put more in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now