Am AIBU to not want to turn into my mum?

(4 Posts)
MOB247 Fri 04-Mar-16 12:08:07

Let me start by saying I love my mum to bits she is the most amazing loving person and a excellent grandma to my little ones.

Ever since I can remember she has always been overweight around a size 22. She has times when she loses some weight but it always creeps back on. My grandma was also a larger lady (16-18).

I used to be a 10-12 BC but having recently had my third I am now a 14-16 (most places a 16). I know that I have a lot of weight to lose.

I have recently noticed that habits my mum has I am starting to emulate e.g. When cooking a roast pinching loads of chicken when carving, having loads of chocolate on a evening and eating family bag sized crisps! I have come to the realisation that I am turning into my mum and will soon end up as large as her.

I really want to break this cycle and not end up being really overweight and i don't want my children to pick up on my bad habits. It's starting to worry me how much food I eat without thinking !

Any advice?

MattDillonsPants Fri 04-Mar-16 12:35:32

I have always been a size 8 to 10 until I had children. After my second my weight was creeping from 14 to 16.

It was the evening chocolate and crisps as well as full fat coke and no exercise.

I got a bike and rode around ten miles a day...and I just made myself cut out chocolate apart from Friday when I could have a SMALL bar. Not a big one.

I also stopped coke and crisps. I had popcorn with salt...home cooked...dry cooked.

Meals were always healthy.

I'm a 12 now but it did take a few months.

Katenka Fri 04-Mar-16 12:39:08

The only advice is to stop it.

How you do that is different from person to person.

I force myself to think before I eat anything. Takes a while to get into it and there have been failures on the way. But i no longer just grab food and eat before I think about it.

MrsHathaway Fri 04-Mar-16 13:10:17

I read this recently, and it really spoke to me.

You do not have to be your mother unless she is who you want to be. You do not have to be your mother's mother, or your mother's mother's mother, or even your grandmother's mother on your father's side. You may inherit their chins or their hips or their eyes, but you are not destined to become the women who came before you. You are not destined to live their lives. So if you inherit something, inherit their strength, their resilience. Because the only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now