To not like dark chocolate?

(30 Posts)
TrueBlu Fri 04-Mar-16 09:29:22

Have tried and tried over the years to get into it and keep hoping as my tastebuds mature I will have acquired a taste for it, but no...

I love green and blacks milk, which is quite rich and not too sweet but any darker than that it takes the enjoyment out for me...

Am I being unreasonably unsophisticated?

Kraggle Fri 04-Mar-16 09:31:52

Yanbu. Its bitter and sour and sucks all the moisture out of your mouth.

liz70 Fri 04-Mar-16 09:35:34

No,YANBU. I only pinch DH's plain chocolate when I've scoffed all the white or milk.

StillDrSethHazlittMD Fri 04-Mar-16 09:37:03

The only time I will countenance dark chocolate is that used in After Eight mints. Otherwise, it's foul stuff. YANBU

TrueBlu Fri 04-Mar-16 09:39:44

DP claims to really likes it, although I do wonder if he merely tolerates it as knows no one else will eat it all grin

Jibberjabberjooo Fri 04-Mar-16 09:48:36

I like dark chocolate but not the 70% stuff, horrible.

senua Fri 04-Mar-16 09:56:42

YABU. Dark chocolate is the only stuff that tastes of actual chocolate. The other stuff is brown-coloured sugar-overload. Yack!

BillBrysonsBeard Fri 04-Mar-16 09:56:50

I love Bournville, After Eights and dark chocolate orange. But the 70% stuff is awful! I want choc to be sweet. I remember watching a documentary about a guy wondering why the bitter stuff wasn't more popular... He couldn't get enough of it.

Mumblechum1 Fri 04-Mar-16 09:58:39

Yep, same here. I loathe the stuff.

I guess it depends what you're used to. I was brought up on Dairy Milk, Galaxy, etc.

The only people I know who like dark chocolate are terribly posh! grin

Osmiornica Fri 04-Mar-16 10:06:38

I'm on a low carb diet and have the odd bit of chocolate but only 85% and up. It's certainly an acquired taste but I like it now as my taste buds have changed and I find normal chocolate far too sweet - I never thought I'd say that to be honest!

I will say that some dark choc is better than others. Lindt is nice as it Aldi's but some of them aren't that good and are gritty and bitter.

Saying all that there are some things that only dark choc will do - dark choc gingers from thorntons are bloody lovely and dark choc mints - milk choc isn't as good for some reason.

doughnutslikefannys Fri 04-Mar-16 10:56:19

Hate it, it's like eating a bar of dirt.

I can just about tolerate orange flavoured dark chocolate in small doses.

squoosh Fri 04-Mar-16 10:56:23

I'm a milk chocolate girl. I've made peace with my unsophisticated ways.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Fri 04-Mar-16 10:59:59

YABU. I don't like sickly sweet milky chocolate. I like 85% dark chocolate. you only need a bit to feel quite satisfied. I tried 100% recently from the chocolate shop nearby - acquired taste but nice.

blondieblonde Fri 04-Mar-16 11:00:38

YANBU. It is nice mixed into chilli con carne though.

Yes, you read that right.

TrueBlu Fri 04-Mar-16 11:03:54

Hate it, it's like eating a bar of dirt.

gringringrin

squoosh Fri 04-Mar-16 11:05:15

100% is rank. That's only for use in cooking.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Fri 04-Mar-16 11:09:18

squoosh

Not at all rank to me, but it does work well in cooking.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth generally, 85% suits me really well. 70% tastes too sweet!

squoosh Fri 04-Mar-16 11:13:07

Yes it works in chili. Far too grainy (and worthy) to eat as chocolate treat.

Osmiornica Fri 04-Mar-16 11:23:35

I'm not too keen on chocolate in chilli though - it doesn't taste right to me.

squoosh Fri 04-Mar-16 11:24:28

There shouldn't be so much that you can actually pinpoint a chocolate taste.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 04-Mar-16 11:27:26

I have found my people! I like it with mint, ginger and orange but otherwise I only like Bourneville.

Mouseinahole Fri 04-Mar-16 11:28:26

I ove dark chocolate. My favourite is Lidl 72%

AnUtterIdiot Fri 04-Mar-16 11:29:26

I spent years trying to be a classy nibbler of single squares of 70%+ but I now accept that I am and always will be the scruffy one cramming a bar of Galaxy into her mouth round the corner.

SnozzberryWibble Fri 04-Mar-16 11:32:11

YANBU. I always say milk chocolate was invented, and became more popular than dark chocolate for a simple reason: because it tastes better!

Also, Switzerland (alongside Belgium) is the chocolate capital of the world because of their amazing Alpine milk and superior processes, not because they use better cocoa beans.

Milk chocolate is simply the best!

Witchend Fri 04-Mar-16 11:33:53

Good. Leave it for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now