Anyone for Hartsdown Academy Margate or St Georges Broadstairs ?

(16 Posts)
jonesthegirl Fri 04-Mar-16 09:13:32

Seriously though this is the point, nobody discusses any schools that are not either private/grammar or highly sought after comprehensives.

I wonder if this site actively 'discriminates' against families/children who have been allocated less salubrious educational establishments .

This is important because these parents need 'more' help and advice than the general 'PHD' advantaged posters on here waffling on about 'Alleyns or St pauls'.

It is quite evident that such posters will feel that they are not worthy or their childrens education matters.

This is interesting because certain posters go on about the unfairness of schools, but they tend to do it from a postion of educational advantage.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 04-Mar-16 09:15:39

eh?

SideOrderofChip Fri 04-Mar-16 09:20:42

Was there a point to your OP?

jonesthegirl Fri 04-Mar-16 09:21:52

This site does not encourage families with children at these types of school to post or debate.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 04-Mar-16 09:23:22

I post plenty and debate lots - mine go to a bog standard okay comp confused

yolofish Fri 04-Mar-16 09:25:18

I sort of agree with you OP; there are not many people who say "I am quite happy with my child's secondary modern" (although I am one of them).
And there is an awful lot of dissing of BTECs and vocational qualifications; it seems your child will only ever be a 'success' if they take mandarin, triple science etc etc.

jonesthegirl Fri 04-Mar-16 09:26:01

But are you 'Degree or PHD ' educated ?

DonkeyOaty Fri 04-Mar-16 09:26:35

Lots of us don't disclose our offspring's school though.

Doesn't mean anything sinister.

Not keen on references to "certain posters" - that's a bit mean and dare I say, disingenuous.

honeylulu Fri 04-Mar-16 09:40:49

I think you are right in that there does seem to be less debate but it sort of goes with the territory. If there is no option of private or grammar then possibly there is less debate to be had because there is less choice or no choice. Sorry if I've misunderstood what you are saying.
In our area there are three catchment schools - two aren't great and one is a new academy that no one knows whether it will end up outstanding or terrible. There has been a stampede / panic by most parents to send their children to a "better" school in a neighbouring borough (out of catchment). This HAS been subject of a lot of debate so it does happen with ordinary schools too - there does have to be a point to debate though.
I clicked on your thread with interest a I grew up in the area you mentioned. I recall St Georges being considered far and away the best non grammar/private school in the area in those days. People would go to church for a year to increase their chances of getting in. That was quite a talking point. Has that changed?

jonesthegirl Fri 04-Mar-16 09:48:44

Honey. I Dont live in the area.

St Georges posted just 12% GCSE pass rate this year !

However, the school claim this is unfair because they believe the changing of the tables to only show the first attempt of students is unfair.

They claim 50% would have been the pass rate if such conditions did not apply.

The same system applies to everybody else, so i dont think this claim stands up .

honeylulu Fri 04-Mar-16 09:50:31

Interesting! Thanks for responding.

bumblefeline Fri 04-Mar-16 10:04:26

Shocked at the 12%, I grew up in the area too and St Georges was considered good. In fact it makes me glad we moved as my DD would not have got into Grammar and would of have to go to one of the two school posted above.

What a massive gap in grades between the grammar and comprehensives.

yolofish Fri 04-Mar-16 11:39:33

It's not the gap between the grammar and the comprehensive tho is it? it's the gap between the grammar (which has creamed off the top 25% by ability) and the secondary modern (lower 75% by ability).

However, it is perfectly possible to have a sec mod which achieves around the 50% mark or higher of the magic 5 A*-C GCSEs, and which also provides a good rounded education for those who are not academic or school-shaped.
Unfortunately our current govt (and indeed many previous) cannot see this.

With the introduction of EBAC and extension of leaving age, I can see that in a couple of years time schools with a less academic intake are going to see an increase in behavioural problems. Because, with the best will in the world, if little Johnny is never going to pass triple science, but would rather be doing car maintenance, what the hell is the point of putting the poor kid on the rack about it, and then sanctioning him if he knows he hasnt a hope in hell of passing a particular subject and zero interest in it?

jonesthegirl Fri 04-Mar-16 12:56:41

Indeed Yolo , there are some excellent 'modern schools' that bear no relation to perceptions that may be attributed to them.

Although i believe in grammar schools, i don't believe in putting the remaining 75% into one educational place.

This is because there are so many different types of kids with differing skills/ difficulties within such a school. The probabilty is that at least 25% of a Modern schools intake are not interested or motivated by 'double' science. They are therefore disruptive bored and reduce the chances for the middle group of pupils attaining good results.

These kids should be placed in to a third type of school at '13' years of age and taught a broadly vocational education .

A grammar school by contrast has got a defined group who are best served by an academic education to the age of 18.

jonesthegirl Fri 04-Mar-16 13:04:44

Points about how we can improve the education of such children , should be coming from the parents concerned . Not from generally Middle class 'Liberal' Degree educated posters on here.

yolofish Fri 04-Mar-16 14:24:36

Middle class - tick (I suppose)
Politically - centre (I can take a policy from any of them!)
Degree educated - not me or DH, but both DDs planning uni from their secondary modern, and not unusual in that at all.

Personally I prefer the comprehensive system, which when operated well, allows children to play to their strengths over a period of time, rather than being separated on the strength of one day aged 10. And many many schools, even the much denigrated secondary moderns, do do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now