Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to mourn the space where my mother's heart should be?

(109 Posts)
vandasma Thu 03-Mar-16 22:05:52

Came home in floods of tears couple days ago after awful commute. Woman on platform took a swing at me when I wouldn't let her push me back into the train and board facing me (there were 2 inches between me and the door, I had to lean my face back when it closed).

Luckily, the guy next to me caught the woman's hand and started shouting at her as did other commuters. (I'm 4 months pregnant, huge bump and "baby on board" badge).

When I got home and told my mum (babysitting that day),she listened to the whole thing and then asked me why I was crying! !

"The man caught her hand right - so she didn't actually hit you? What are you crying about then? "

Unreasonable to burst into tears again? Hubby thinks I should give her a break as her generation were "different."

pippistrelle Thu 03-Mar-16 22:21:02

Bit of a melodramatic title, but a bit of sympathy and empathy wouldn't have gone amiss from your mother. It sounds like an upsetting experience. Your husband, on the other person, is BU with his different generation crack (unless your mother was born in Sparta in 650BC).

BarbarianMum Thu 03-Mar-16 22:30:58

Um, unless this is the last of a long, long line of maternal hard-heartedness you are bring quite very over dramatic.

Separately, my mum was born in the 1940s and yes it was a different world.

BarbarianMum Thu 03-Mar-16 22:33:50

Oh and sorry about your day btw Don't blame you for being upset.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 03-Mar-16 22:38:48

Yeah, you're being very melodramatic. And really, your title makes it sound like your talking bout a mother who has died, so really insensitive coming up to Mother's Day.

P's the woman didn't see your bump or your badge. She was just trying to get to work.

Queenbean Thu 03-Mar-16 22:41:46

the woman didn't see your bump or your badge. She was just trying to get to work.

So it would be ok to take a swing at someone who isn't pregnant?!

OP, your title is melodramatic and OTT but don't let it ruin your day, get some perspective, it was a bit shit but don't let it take over you.

witsender Thu 03-Mar-16 22:44:49

P's the woman didn't see your bump or your badge. She was just trying to get to work.

Seriously? You have a very odd perception of normal, reasonable behaviour.

CocktailQueen Thu 03-Mar-16 22:46:36

Wasn't expecting this sort of trivial thread after reading your title. Insensitive and melodramatic.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 03-Mar-16 22:49:04

I'm going to posit that the woman wasn't actually trying to hit anyone.

Obviously hitting is not good. It's never ok. <states obvious>

Zariyah Thu 03-Mar-16 22:49:51

I'm assuming this is pregnancy hormones talking, you are majorly overreaction to an unpleasant event. Your title is way OTT.

Fanfeck Thu 03-Mar-16 22:51:33

I'm envious that these are your mother issues

Queenbean Thu 03-Mar-16 22:55:45

I'm going to posit that the woman wasn't actually trying to hit anyone.

How do you know? The OP says the woman took a swing at her, how do you know it wasn't true? Were you there?

vandasma Thu 03-Mar-16 22:55:59

Spotted zebra, so you honestly thought the post was someone asking permission to mourn a dead parent?

Natkingcole9 Thu 03-Mar-16 22:58:58

Were you really wearing a badge or is that a joke?

PurpleDaisies Thu 03-Mar-16 23:00:17

Were you really wearing a badge or is that a joke?

It's a London transport thing-I saw it on Facebook the other day.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Thu 03-Mar-16 23:00:37

Poor you

You have every reason to be upset someone tried to assault you and being pregnant of course you feel more vulnerable

My mum struggles to show empathy towards me but even she would at least get angry

So what if the title is a little dramatic its easy to ignore having read what happened but it's mn some can't let a dig at another pass by

Zariyah Thu 03-Mar-16 23:01:16

Spotted probably thought that this was going to be something very serious.

PurpleDaisies Thu 03-Mar-16 23:01:59

Op it sounds like you had a really crap day. Hope you have something nice (tea, choc etc) to cheer yourself up with. I think you're being too harsh on your mum. Things might look different in the morning after a good night's sleep.

PovertyPain Thu 03-Mar-16 23:02:09

I agree with Spotted. Your title does make it sound as if your mother has died.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 03-Mar-16 23:03:03

Yes, OP. I clicked on as I thought that someone was feeling unsupported re missing their dead mother.

GasLightShining Thu 03-Mar-16 23:03:16

Pregnant or not the behaviour is not acceptable and I would expect some sympathy. Not saying I would have got it though!

Natkingcole9 Thu 03-Mar-16 23:04:03

PurpleDaisies Never even heard of it... bit weird isn't it. Is it so pregnant people get a seat or what??

Imstickingwiththisone Thu 03-Mar-16 23:04:55

Tbh I thought this was going to about organ donation of a decreased parent confused

SandunesAndRainclouds Thu 03-Mar-16 23:05:16

I thought it was going to be about someone having passed away and had donated organs....

Zariyah Thu 03-Mar-16 23:05:52

Of course the OP deserves sympathy but maybe she was being over-dramatic in front of her mum, who knows?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now