Talk

Advanced search

to think we've got a long way to go

(19 Posts)
chocolateyy Thu 03-Mar-16 14:02:54

I've name changed for this.

this has just appeared on my Facebook feed.

Essentially, a teacher went to a nightclub, and 2 of his pupils were there. Did he:

a. Speak to management to let them know & make sure the girls got home ok?

or

b. Kiss one of them, pose for photographs with them, and say nothing to Management?

Correct, it was B, and every single one of the comments is saying that it was the girls fault for being there in the first place. It's not the teacher's fault.

Am I going mad? I cannot possibly be the only person who lives in my town who thinks that this is an absolute disgrace.

Please reassure me that I'm not, actually, in the minority.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 03-Mar-16 14:06:13

"His pupils" - do you mean he actually knew them or did they just happen to be in a school he works at?

I think it is reasonable to expect everyone in a nightclub/bar is an adult.

This is in no way comparable to that sleazy footballer assaulting children.

Pinkheart5915 Thu 03-Mar-16 14:08:58

So his pupils are at least 18 to be in the club? So legally adults?
Or they in the club underage?

I don't know the whole story. But I think as long as the pupil he kissed was 18 then I don't think either party would be to blame. If the pupils are 18 why would he ask the management to make sure they got home ok? As I say I don't know the full story

FellOutOfBedTwice Thu 03-Mar-16 14:11:14

You can't go round kissing your pupils!!!!!! Whether they're in your class or just kids at the school your teach. 18 or not. I can't believe anyone is justifying that. Fucking hell.

chocolateyy Thu 03-Mar-16 14:11:15

Yes, they were his pupils, and has confirmed that he knew them and he, obviously knew that they were underage.

No, it's not comparable, but it concerns me that cases like the Sunderland footballer don't make people wake up to the notion that these girls are not to blame for this.

Pinkheart5915 Thu 03-Mar-16 14:12:37

As the was in the club underage, he should of informed the management and should not of kissed his underage pupil

BlueEyesAndDarkChocolate Thu 03-Mar-16 14:14:03

I wish they'd said how old the Teacher was.

Obviously he's wrong, however, it seems more wrong, if he is say, 40 years old and the girl was 16. If he is 21, and the girl in question is 17, well that feels a bit different. Still very very wrong, and he should know better, but at 21 he's still very young and probably more likely to make a stupid decision, in the heat of the moment and under the influence of drink.

But yeh, stupid thing to do. Twerp!

LaurieFairyCake Thu 03-Mar-16 14:14:08

If he knew they were school pupils then he did something wrong that he can get fired for.

You're not allowed to get off with pupils in your care whether they're 18 or not.

He's a sleazy fuck bucket. Hope he gets fucking fired.

I would feel sympathetic if he didn't know they were pupils.

TheJiminyConjecture Thu 03-Mar-16 14:15:12

So teenagers at a secondary school sneak into a club underage.

Instead of either ignoring them (turning a blind eye) or telling them to leave, a teacher at their school kissed one and posed for photos?

Absolute outrageous. I can't believe he's still in a job!

ThorsLady Thu 03-Mar-16 14:15:19

I think if he knew they were pupils, he should have reported to management.
Saying that, I've been in this position before. Tried to seduce a teacher I really fancied, was half-successful.
Pupil B could easily have been trying it on with him, either way I don't think anyone in this story is a victim.

After all, it is scumdee Dundee.

FeelingFine89 Thu 03-Mar-16 14:20:47

Well I think that since he knows them, knows they are pupils at his school and knows their age, then yes he is in the wrong for acting the way he did.

If he didn't know them he could be forgiven for thinking they are not underage, since you have to be 18 or over to be in a nightclub (apart from when it's kiddy disco night, which would be odd for him to be at).

Also, if they were 18, he can pose for photos and have drinks with them all he likes. I remember bumping in to my tutors many times as a student and having a drink with them.
Kissing them at 18, I'm not sure if that would be ok if he was their tutor. I don't know what the law is on that one. Morally I don't see anything wrong with it if they were 18 and at college.

chocolateyy Thu 03-Mar-16 14:21:53

The school teacher has been allowed to keep his job, because he has shown remorse.

SpeakNoWords Thu 03-Mar-16 14:24:37

He knew that one of them was a pupil of his, and was reasonably expected to know that the second one was a pupil of his. Their behaviour and attitude is irrelevant, he should know that as a teacher that he should not behave like this due to the teaching code of conduct. It's not a difficult dilemma, and I am amazed at people who find this to be ok.

ComeonSummer1 Thu 03-Mar-16 14:32:31

He's an adult.

He's 21

He is in a position of responsibility

He's a stupid sleezy idiot and should have been sacked.

ComeonSummer1 Thu 03-Mar-16 14:34:22

Mind you look at the Adam Johnson thread to see there are apologists for child abusers and victim blamers with blurred morals on this site. Shocking.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Thu 03-Mar-16 14:43:16

yanbu

He is in a position of responsibility and trust

And he choose to ignore this

pinkflowerbluesky Thu 03-Mar-16 14:45:30

Is kiss a full on tongue kiss or a peck on the cheek?

I suspect the latter. It doesn't seem too horrific to me.

Junosmum Thu 03-Mar-16 15:19:59

When I was 16/17 I went to a nightclub regularly (this wasn't that long ago) and several of the younger teachers also frequented said night club. I knew them, they didn't know me- school with 1000+ pupils, the teachers didn't teach me. Once I decided it'd be a good idea to try and pull one of them. I did. I never told him I was a pupil and looked quite different out of school to in school. Was it his fault? No, I pursued him, he never even covered a lesson I was in and never spoke to me in school. I was in the club under age, how was he supposed to know? For him to have got in trouble would have been IMO totally wrong (in hindsight it was an awful thing for me to do, I was young and stupid and didn't understand the potential concequences for him).

Occasionally we did see a teacher who recognized us. We'd nod and move to a different area of the club. I don't think the teachers had a responsibility to let management know and get us kicked out.

Junosmum Thu 03-Mar-16 15:21:25

Totally totally different if he knew who they were and how old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now