Talk

Advanced search

Replacing broken items

(8 Posts)
EarSlaps Thu 03-Mar-16 13:24:11

Just wanted to ask the wise women (and men) of MN if I'm being fair here.

I lent a fan to someone to help with drying out some plaster. It was a very good quality fan, prob cost about £75ish but has moved house a few times so cosmetically wasn't perfect anymore. Still working perfectly though.

Unfortunately her husband broke it. She has offered to buy me a brand new fan or give me money for it, so she is definitely not BU.

However, as it wasn't in perfect condition I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable asking for the full cost of a new one. It was also massive and a pain to store, so it annoyed me but I wasn't planning to replace it unless it broke.

I've found one I think would be a good replacement for it. It's not as big or as expensive as my old fan but should do the job and be easier to store. It's £50. I've suggested we go halves.

Does that sound fair? I don't want to be grabby but I don't want to be massively out of pocket either.

CaptainCrunch Thu 03-Mar-16 13:26:06

They should pay for the whole thing.

EarSlaps Thu 03-Mar-16 13:30:20

I'd feel a bit mean asking them for that though. It was 10 years old (but a good sturdy Aussie brand).

FigMango1 Thu 03-Mar-16 13:31:30

I think that sounds fair. It's very old and definitely not worth the current price so what you're suggesting is reasonable.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Thu 03-Mar-16 13:32:31

If it's less than she was offering to pay and it suits you better if call that win:win

Akire Thu 03-Mar-16 13:33:15

It dosnt matter if wasn't perfect it still not the job 100% even if looked bit rough. So friend will be replacing it with something that works.

Unless she can't afford the £50 I would be accepting not going halfs. I bet if you broke hers you would pay for it all.....

Mango5000 Thu 03-Mar-16 13:33:28

You're being really lovely offering to go halves! More than fair. They should really pay for it but I think that's a great gesture star

EarSlaps Thu 03-Mar-16 13:40:42

Well she is clearly lovely too as she won't go halves and wants to pay for it all!

I've offered to top up the cost from the cheaper black version (which would do the same job) to the posher chrome version so would be £40 for her and £10 for me.

Of course I would offer the full cost to her! It was her dh that broke it, so I said to tell him I'll only accept a brand new dyson fan grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now