Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be slightly spooked by this supernatural experience?

(25 Posts)
RichPetunia Thu 03-Mar-16 07:36:08

My sister is the least 'woo' person you'll ever meet, but yesterday a very strange thing happened to her. In her house and later as she was putting her dogs in the car after their night-time walk, she saw and felt someone walk passed her. She says it was a human figure dressed in black. She couldn't make out any facial features because there weren't any. It has freaked her out, and she doesn't freak out easily. I was with her at the second episode and there was no-one there that I could see. AIBU to think this is a portent of doom? Nothing likethis has happened to her before.

FigMango1 Thu 03-Mar-16 07:40:55

I think you both are just winding each other up.

FrozenPonds Thu 03-Mar-16 07:40:55

It's rather more likely to be an hallucination, don't you think?

PhilPhilConnors Thu 03-Mar-16 07:44:22

Does she have a CO monitor?
CO can cause hallucinations.

liz70 Thu 03-Mar-16 07:45:13

If it were actually a supernatural experience then really, don't worry about it being some sort of "portent of doom" - it isn't. I'm had stuff going on that would make most people shock for ten years now, and I'm still here! Don't fret! smile

mimishimmi Thu 03-Mar-16 08:19:00

It could have been someone in a black hoodie..

CreamofTartar Thu 03-Mar-16 08:30:30

You've both decided this was a 'supernatural experience' and are reinforcing this interpretation, rather than other much more likely available possibilities.

And honestly, every time a post starts 'my sister is to least woo person I've ever met', you know it ends with something deeply 'woo'.

whifflesqueak Thu 03-Mar-16 08:32:07

aibu to think this is a portent of doom?

grin

araiba Thu 03-Mar-16 09:11:45

has she sorted out her will?

SmellsLikeMiddleAgeSpirit Thu 03-Mar-16 09:19:08

Only if you were, indeed, "woo" would you associate a faceless black figure, like the figurative image of death, with "doom". It is a cultural thing.

Your sister is tired/hallucinating/drunk/mistaken or some such.

UterusUterusGhali Thu 03-Mar-16 09:22:52

I'd say it was a neurological quirk. The human mind naturally makes things (shadows etc) into a form it recognises. It's why we see clouds that look like things and Jesus' face in toast.

Branleuse Thu 03-Mar-16 09:26:45

definitely a portent of doom

mrshudson221b Thu 03-Mar-16 09:30:12

liz70 what stuff have you had going on? Am genuinely interested.

SausageSmuggler Thu 03-Mar-16 09:33:18

This really shows the difference between AIBU and chat. On chat the responses would be along the lines of 'ooh I love a good woo thread'. FWIW I do too.

SmellsLikeMiddleAgeSpirit Thu 03-Mar-16 09:40:02

You're right, Sausage, that's probably how I'd have reacted in chat!

Alexa444 Thu 03-Mar-16 09:40:49

I think she was probably just over tired or stressed out, saw a shadow and her mind automatically filled in the blanks. The human brain is weird like that but even if it was something paranormal, why would you think doom?

My nan's old house is haunted and is actually on a register of known hauntings and let me tell you the things we experienced in that place would make a believer of anyone but I am generally pretty sceptical about most things. Look for the obvious explanation first. Like a previous poster I would have her check any CO monitors in the house as CO poisoning does tend to make you see things. Also did the dogs react at all? If they didn't then I would try to chill out a little. Nan's dog always freaked right out whenever anything woo was going on in the house, barking and snarling at nothing and practically guarding us. And this was the most laid back dog in the world, the kids used to ride him without so much as a huff from him.

I think she was seeing shadows and you are both letting your imaginations run away with you a bit.

CreamofTartar Thu 03-Mar-16 15:21:33

My nan's old house is haunted and is actually on a register of known hauntings

How does that work, then? Is there a Britain's Most Haunted version of the Lonely Planet guide, or something?

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 03-Mar-16 15:29:35

Sounds like a shadow person.

Alexa444 Thu 03-Mar-16 22:28:07

Its just a list Tartar Not honestly sure how they qualify for these registers but there are a few of them. I think Surrey actually has its own. The registry it is on is much like this one although I can't name the house without outing myself but it used to be 1 big mansion and is now 3 large houses. Been around for a couple hundred years I believe. All 3 owners have had it investigated separately. We didn't know this at the time but it resulted in it being listed. I'm hoping it will go up for sale again soon so I can have a little snoop about and see how it has changed since I last saw it.

Alexa444 Thu 03-Mar-16 22:29:05

Posted without the link lol, I'm losing it. www.paranormaldatabase.com/index.htm There you go Tartar

IceBeing Thu 03-Mar-16 22:45:52

I had a proper LOTR moment on Monday night...it was all windy and late and went to coral the wheelie bin. Just as I got it penned in the side passage I was hit by the overwhelming feeling that evil was chasing across my garden towards me, I slammed the gate and legged it back indoors. Then I leaned against the door for a good 5 mins wondering if anything could have snuck in my house while I was round the side!

Sometimes I think your brain flips into a 'dreaming' type state when you are still awake, making the imagined aspects of your experience heightened and accepted as real (like they would be while you were dreaming).

Dontlaugh Thu 03-Mar-16 22:48:50

It is a portent of doom, without question.

Dontlaugh Thu 03-Mar-16 22:51:04

I find, generally, mind, this could only be me, if the following are involved then Portents of Doom pop up far more often:
Alcohol
Wind
Rain
Darkness
Storms
Fellow believers in Portents of Doom
Fellow believers who drink alcohol
Alcohol.

EastMidsMummy Thu 03-Mar-16 22:53:04

She is doomed. Sorry.

HotNatured Fri 04-Mar-16 12:46:35

No such thing as the 'supernatural' nor 'supernatural experiences'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now