Talk

Advanced search

Weekly JSA grillings are a waste of time

(148 Posts)
feellikeahugefailure Wed 02-Mar-16 13:57:01

My jobcenter is asking people to come in every week, my advisor rolls her eyes at it and apologises for dragging me in (pretty much 3 hour round trip with rubbish local buses and waiting times) and it really cuts into my time.

Its almost like they are trying to make it difficult to put people off.

VertigoNun Wed 02-Mar-16 14:00:19

Can you combine the visit with some other jobs you need to do?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 02-Mar-16 14:01:22

Well it shows how much of a farcical it is, even your advisor is rolling her eyes. The situation is laughing at itself.

VertigoNun Wed 02-Mar-16 14:03:20

Job was the wrong word, I meant a supermarket shop, bank visit.

feellikeahugefailure Wed 02-Mar-16 14:03:30

I would use it to go the the library but im always called in on Wednesdays when the library is shut! It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing. I guess I can combine it with my food shop, but living on JSA means you have to have alot of shit stodge, so thats a depressing shop.

Chicagomd Wed 02-Mar-16 14:05:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kali110 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:10:04

Yes i agree op. Buses by me are crap too. I never needed help looking for jobs. Waste
Of my bloody time sitting there looking for jobs when i could have been at home doing it. I always applied for more than was required anyway, that i could actually do, rather than what the advisor kept suggesting.

LeaveMe Wed 02-Mar-16 14:11:24

agree - there are two types of people who attend these:

1. those who are actively seeking employment and will secure a job without keeping all the jobcentre staff in employ. My advisor couldn't quite get her head round the concept of a single mother with a phd being unemployed! I found work without any help from the jobcentre whatsoever.
2. the unemployable, those who are unemployable/can't find work for whatever reason - filling out the job search form and the 'advisor' ticking a box won't help them with that

there will always be a certain amount of unemployment - the jobcentre is just check-boxing managing it for the sake of managing

BadDoGooder Wed 02-Mar-16 14:14:12

Chica it is a farce, have you ever been on JSA?
I have, those weekly meetings are a waste of everyones time, in my day it was 2 weekly and it was still silly.
You have to keep so much evidence of job applications anyway, it's not like you are just sitting on your arse.

OP as an example of the shitty attitude towards jobseekers, one time my (fully employed) DP was with me, waiting for my appointment.
He had had a hard day at work and was leaning back in his chair a bit. (Note, not slouching, or getting in anyones way)
The security guard came over and told him to sit up straight..."no wonder you are unemployed with that attitude"!! DP stood up, showed the guard his uniform and basically told him off for his attitude.

The guard didn't even have the good grace to look even slightly ashamed of himself.

People have a disgusting attitude towards jobseekers, because we are all so lucky to just slip happily from one job to another, and those who don't must be lazy scum. hmm

OP YADNBU

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 02-Mar-16 14:14:15

I agree, Leave. If it weren't for unemployment. JCP workers would not have a job. Very thought provoking.

feellikeahugefailure Wed 02-Mar-16 14:14:57

Chic - my point wasnt the meetings, but going in to them weekly.

My advisor says herself theres nothing she can do for me, she sees I'm getting on with my job search, all it is is box ticking I wouldn't mind if it helped me at all going in.

feellikeahugefailure Wed 02-Mar-16 14:17:25

Bad - that is shocking! My advisor is actually lovely, have a nice chat with her but the person on reception is pretty rude. Buses are shit, so can either get there 1:15 before the meeting, or only leave 5 mins contingency and get a later bus. I always do the latter, then im told off for being 2 mins late.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 02-Mar-16 14:18:05

WTF did he think he is. A fuckin head master. Cheeky cunt.

feellikeahugefailure Wed 02-Mar-16 14:18:07

*Just the once I was late, its not a regular thing.

BadDoGooder Wed 02-Mar-16 14:18:23

Oh and another point about those meetings.
People on jsa are already teetering on the breadline, and often don't have a car. Public transport is expensive, and if you have a v limited food budget, a fiver on the buses to get to pointless meeting is potentially a day without food.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 02-Mar-16 14:22:49

Do they not even reimburse you for the cost of travel. I imagine it takes a fair chunk out of your money

BadDoGooder Wed 02-Mar-16 14:23:04

Yeah I've come across that kind of attitude from loads of jobcentre workers, you are lucky to have a nice advisor feellike

I know Iliveinalighthouse me and DP were properly shock at him.
I wonder how many potentially vulnerable people he has given attitude to, just for daring to be unemployed.

I feel so sorry for anyone on jsa/esa etc. the hoops you are expected to jump through more often than not waste money.

For example a friend of mine who is very intelligent and has a good degree, was sent on a basic literacy and numeracy course (at taxpayer expense) just so they could tick some boxes.

BadDoGooder Wed 02-Mar-16 14:26:40

Ilivein it was a while ago for me, but if memory serves me right there was some convoluted scheme, where you could claim some money back, but like all things run by the governemnt, it takes weeks and weeks, and that's no good when you need the money now.

OurBlanche Wed 02-Mar-16 14:34:00

So, you must be young or over 50... that happened to me when I turned 50 - they have to see you more to give you more support to get back into work as you are more vulnerable in your older age!!

But, you only actually 'sign on' every fortnight. You can claim the travel expenses for the in between week and, if your advisor thinks it appropriate, they can do it over the phone! Go back in and ask for a more appropriate between week arrangement.

I hated my first chocolate teapot advisor, my current one is much more sympathetic.

QforCucumber Wed 02-Mar-16 14:34:02

chic shouldn't be long? My 50 year old dm has been claiming jsa for 2.5 years now as there are no jobs locally. She's willing to work days, evenings and nights. Issue she's having is after getting out of a 25 year long ea relationship with my stepdad where she didn't work for 18 years noone wants to know now. No experience, she's volunteering full time in a cancer research store but that doesn't pay the bills. McDonald's turned her down, asda turned her down. Going to these weekly meetings just reminds her how many jobs she's applying for and how few responses she gets. They don't actually help at the jobcentre - they tick a sheet to say you went -that's it.

Lanark2 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:36:33

They aren't appointments, they are 'opportunities to irritate' job seekers and to try to trick them either into poor behaviour.. A sanction..into applying for something wild that they say 'is your choice' to apply for, but if you don't they will use it to 'prove' you don't ever want to work, to force you to apply for the lowest qualification shittiest jobs even though everyone else is applying for the same jobs because they are forced to.. Most of which don't exist because they are on Universal Job Match, which is a thing monster conned them into buying which just duplicates all the other sites that trawl all the others, but gives them a special out of date reference number. If you point this out, they try to sanction you.

My jobcentre 'lost' evidence of my job search in the walk downstairs, but weirdly also had them on the desk as she said 'as you've provided no proof of your job search' script..EVEN THOUGH IT WAS IN HER HAND. When I pointed this out, she said I was contradicting her, therefore refusing to engage.. And then she tried to sanction me, for not engaging. I asked for her manager and she faked this too, trying to get a colleague to pretend to be a manager. The whole process is an exercise in showing job seekers that people on the public payroll can lie, have no integrity, trick and decieve claimants, and behave in a way that should be illegal, but isn't because the government have asked them to behave like this, and to show you that the world of work (they called the job centre 'the real world'. When I was there) oh yes, they also asked me to sit in a different waiting area, then tried to sanction me for being 'late' for my appointment because they couldn't find me, and also asked me to 'take a seat' and then yelled at me for sitting where they indicated. When I pointed this out, they asked if I wanted to 'disengage from the process' ..ie.. Tried to get me to 'agree' by using different words, to a sanction.

They also pretended to never have heard of the jobseekers railcars, expenses for interviews, crisis loans etc until I brought in printouts from the government websites..

Just a time-wasting exercise the whole thing, all actively set up to both dissuade you from applying for jobs you can get, and from claiming benefit fairly so that you can get on with getting work. I spent nearly half of every week writing letters to stop the sanction threats and explaining to companies why I hadn't got the money to pay the bills, arguing for food bank vouchers even though I knew sanctions would be reversed, and applying for jobs that didn't exist so they can justify the purchase of the universal job match. Its an utter farce

Gobbolino6 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:51:37

I was on JSA two years ago for just 3 weeks and it was absolutely soul destroying. I get that you're not meant to find it easy, but I can't see how it could be inspiring or helpful. I got a new job despite the appointments, not because of them. Rarely felt so utterly shit in my life as I was made to feel in that place.

Toxicity Wed 02-Mar-16 15:49:48

Gobbolino6 - exactly! After redundancy I did my best to stay busy and motivated but I always got down when I had to attend the job centre.

wasonthelist Wed 02-Mar-16 15:59:44

YANBU - Its almost like they are trying to make it difficult to put people off. Indeed.

GlitteryShoes Wed 02-Mar-16 16:05:45

My son was sanctioned for going to an interview when he was due for a meeting at the Jobcentre even though he took in the interview letter. Luckily he got the job, but he found the whole experience soul destroying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now