Talk

Advanced search

To think this police officer should be prosecuted?

(6 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 02-Mar-16 13:20:37

police dog mauls another dog to death

Surely this must be an offence under the dangerous dogs act? Wonder if he'll be told to have his dog on a lead and muzzled at all times now?

SummerHouse Wed 02-Mar-16 13:26:49

This is heartbreaking. For the officer as well. This wi

bobbywash Wed 02-Mar-16 13:26:53

On what grounds? The Dangerous Dogs Act refers to injuring a person, not another dog.

They would also have to prove the dog was not under proper control, a difficult point to argue with a fully trained police dog, especially if it was one bite that caused severe injuries rather than a sustained attack.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 02-Mar-16 13:28:48

I thought the updated dangerous dogs act said someone now just has to feel afraid.

If a big dog was killing my dog I would feel afraid.

SummerHouse Wed 02-Mar-16 13:28:58

*will be thoroughly investigated and if practices need to change I believe they will.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 02-Mar-16 13:29:57

"Section 3 of the Act applies to every single dog owner in England and Wales. Under this section, it is a criminal offence for the person in charge of the dog to allow it to be ‘dangerously out of control’ in a public place.

A dog doesn't have to bite to be deemed dangerous in the eyes of the law

Generally if a dog bites a person, it will be presumed to have been ‘dangerously out of control’, however even if the dog does not bite, but gives the person grounds to feel that the dog may injure them, the law still applies."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now