to think I was right about rules of the road?

(43 Posts)
waitingforsomething Wed 02-Mar-16 12:14:15

Today I needed to turn right into a B road from a large A road. I pulled into the designated slip road thing with the arrow pointing right then waited as there was traffic coming down the A road.
Meanwhile there was a man driving a large HGV who wanted to turn right out of the B road onto the A road. His vehicle was very big so this meant that he had to wait for me to drive into the B road before he could go because his HGV wouldn't have swung round.
Apparently this made his so furious that he got out of his car, stood at my window, shouted 'stupid fuckinng women drivers' and 'silly cunt' at me and then spat on my window.

I was really upset obviously but did I do something wrong with regards to the rules of the road? I'm not a new driver so I think o was right but perhaps I'm missing something?

Seeline Wed 02-Mar-16 12:21:13

I would've done exactly what you did. You are on the major road, so have right of way. the only possible thing that you might have been able to do (but not knowing the road, it's hard to say) was to make sure you were right at the front of the turning area so that the lorry could possibly get behind you.
He was just rude!!

TeaStory Wed 02-Mar-16 12:21:38

You were right - you had right of way and he was a twat.

PoundingTheStreets Wed 02-Mar-16 12:21:58

You had right of way if you were turning from an A road into a B road and he was coming out of the B road onto the A road. The person on the B road has to give way.

It is common for someone wanting to pull out from a B road to be 'let out' by someone turning in from the A road, but this is not the rules of the road, so you have not done anything wrong. He, on the other hand, has behaved like a twat and has actually committed a criminal offence because of the way he behaved afterwards.

Hope you're ok. flowers

KitKat1985 Wed 02-Mar-16 12:22:21

He just sounds like a twunt. Don't give it another thought. x

FaithAscending Wed 02-Mar-16 12:22:40

Regardless of the rules of the road (and I can't see what you did wrong?), his behaviour was disgusting! Did you get the name of the company on the side of his HGV? I'd be inclined to report him! Even without the reg number they'll know which HGV was in the area at the time. thanks and brew for you, bet it's shaken you up.

Twitterqueen Wed 02-Mar-16 12:23:50

You were right, you had right of way.

However, in these situations I usually let the large vehicle out because it's easier for me (and would have been for you).

But there's no excuse for the road rage on his part. If you managed to get the company name I would make a formal complaint to them.

longdiling Wed 02-Mar-16 12:24:11

Did you get who he worked for? I'd consider reporting him. Even if you were in the wrong he shouldn't be screaming abuse at you and spitting on your window. What a horrible man. Hope you're not too shaken up.

waitingforsomething Wed 02-Mar-16 12:24:12

It was just a plain white HGV. I wish I had time to look at the number plate but I was actually so shocked to be the recipient of this abuse that I didn't think about it. Also I had my 3 yo dd in the car so just wanted to get away!
I'm glad I wasn't wrong, just so upset to be treated like that. I'll move on but such a shame that there are these people out there

RakeMeHomeCountryToads Wed 02-Mar-16 12:25:10

You were in the right. I agree with Faith, report him if you know what company he was from. People shouldn't get away with treating other drivers like this. It can cause accidents.

akkakk Wed 02-Mar-16 12:25:16

based on what you say...
report him to the police - 101 phone number...
it is commonly called road rage - and there would be concern that the person driving a large vehicle should respond in such a manner - if they react like that behind the wheel they could kill someone...

on the other hand (and not bein accusatory), is there any possibility that you were perhaps over-cautious about looking for a gap to cross, and perhaps he was sitting there fuming? Assuming that you weren't then his reaction was inappropriate

waitingforsomething Wed 02-Mar-16 12:27:15

I definitely wasn't sitting there for ages! Like 30 seconds before he started swearing and got out!

Theoretician Wed 02-Mar-16 12:45:38

I'm not sure I'm picturing this right. If you were waiting for oncoming A road traffic to clear, presumably he would have had to wait for the same traffic?

waitingforsomething Wed 02-Mar-16 12:52:51

Yes he would have done. That's why I don't really understand what I had done wrong. Perhaps he spotted a gap to go and then I pulled into the slip road which stopped him from being able to go because his vehicle was too big to swing round me.

waitingforsomething Wed 02-Mar-16 12:53:49

Which obviously I didn't do to piss him off- it was just the moment that I arrived at that point in my journey and I had no idea there was a great big HGV wanting to go!

AlisonWunderland Wed 02-Mar-16 12:59:35

I've had a Rentokil van stuck behind me as we both waited to turn right onto a busier main road.
I did sit there for some time because it's a busy road and the curve of the road means poor visibilty of the traffic approaching from right. And it was raining.
He lost the plot, cut up the left hand side of me and turned right (causing others to brake), shouting and waving as he went past

Yeah I made him wait but I suspect he had a better view of the road from his elevated drving position.

Twat.

Topseyt Wed 02-Mar-16 13:01:51

It doesn't sound as though you did anything wrong.

You were on the main road and he was at a Give Way, I presume. Give way does not mean rant and rave like a loon at the person you have to give way to.

You just happened to encounter a twat. I would consider reporting his behaviour to his employer if you know who that is.

Collaborate Wed 02-Mar-16 13:04:24

Initially I was also going to suggest that you'd missed some opportunities to make your turn, and that was why he was upset (not that anything would excuse his behaviour).

The fact that he had time to get out of his cab and cross half the road to stand in front of your car would suggest that too.

You certainly got the rules of the road correct. You only had to wait for a gap in the traffic travelling in one direction. He had to ensure that both directions were clear. If you couldn't go, neither could he.

TheMymblesMother Wed 02-Mar-16 13:22:48

I hate people who act like this. Twat. Did you respond?

Last week a van driver shouted and swore at me in front of DC - who are teens luckily - as I was parked (properly, with blue badge) opposite where a lorry had just pulled up (illegally) and blocked his way and he seemed to think that I, just being a stupid fucking bitch should move my car. I'm afraid I lost the moral high ground and told him to go fuck himself blush. Pleasingly, I was actually picking my DH up, who came out of work in time to see this and came over to ask the van driver if there was a problem with the way the car was parked? When the driver said no (DH is very tall, tattooed and despite being a sweetheart, scares old ladies grin) DH pointed out that if he was happy to shout and swear at a woman but not a man, he was a coward and a "total tool". The DDs loved it grin

Do you have a recording camera in your car by any chance, OP? I think it's only a matter of time until everyone has one as a matter of course. Doubt it will stop the total tools though angry

thetemptationofchocolate Wed 02-Mar-16 14:49:29

As the lorry is unidentifiable I suggest ringing 101. If the police have the time and/or the inclination they could access local cctv and ID the vehicle. The driver's behaviour was aggressive and he needs to be spoken to at the very least about this.
None of this was your fault!

arethereanyleftatall Wed 02-Mar-16 15:12:14

You do have right of way, but to be honest if he was there first, I would have let him out first. Especially if it's notoriously hard to turn right there.

waitingforsomething Wed 02-Mar-16 16:16:25

I may have done if I'd thought about it but to be honest I was just going about my journey and didn't look super hard at who was at the junction

Iwonderif Wed 02-Mar-16 16:33:33

Nothing wrong at all OP. I know the type of situation you mean as I regularly have to encounter this type of road on way to parents & once I got a mouthful.

Report it as there may be traffic cameras about and he may have previously have been reported. You never know.

Absolute vile nasty pig of a man. With your DC in car too. Utter tool.

flowers for you OP

Arfarfanarf Wed 02-Mar-16 16:41:55

I think some men seem to get disproporionately angry at women drivers. It's like you shouldnt be taking up space on the road or should at the very least give priority to them at all times. (Male privilege in action? grin )
I remember being stopped at lights and some utter tool of a bloke actually winding down his window to tell me off for daring to enter a roundabout when it was my right of way shock )
i told him "i dont care about anything you think about anything"
then thankfully the lights changed and i could turn off before he got out and punched me.

And yes it was not a very well crafted sentence but im not articulate on the spur of the moment grin

waitingforsomething Wed 02-Mar-16 17:04:17

Lol Arf at least you responded! I just looked shell shocked and turned up the music so dd couldn't hear!
I expect if I had responded he may have punched me so maybe it's good I didn't ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now