Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone just want a day off work and a day off your kids?

(136 Posts)
BloodyHell33 Tue 01-Mar-16 21:43:40

I work term times. Great, it works amazingly round the children.

I love my job and I love my kids but on Monday I found myself willing an illness to come so I had a genuine excuse to have a day off work and the kids be at school. As if I would enjoy it if I were ill confused.

Even tonight I'm busting for a day off.

My DH would happily take the kids off my hands for a few hours on a weekend. But I want a whole day. Selfish, I know!

DH works full time too, self employed so gets 4 days holiday a year (unpaid, when we go to Butlins which isn't exactly relaxing!)

So he too, deserves a day off no work no kids.

No family round us to give us this pleasure either. Even then, if they did, I'd like it totally alone and not even with DH. blush. I know, meany.

I just want a DAY OFF!!

BloodyHell33 Tue 01-Mar-16 21:44:19

And no I can't book one! It's frowned upon given my 10 weeks holiday a year and I still have to take days off for child's hospital appts.

oldlaundbooth Tue 01-Mar-16 21:45:02

I had a day like that last week.

It was bliss.

SmallBee Tue 01-Mar-16 21:45:55

I try and save a day or two's holiday each year and take a day for myself for this reason. It goes by too quickly!

BloodyHell33 Tue 01-Mar-16 21:46:33

Oh bloody good for you!! What did you do?? Did you bath? Did you watch JK? Read a book? Shop in peace?

Did you try on shoes?!

Tell me everything!!!

Lalaloopsyscaresme Tue 01-Mar-16 21:47:32

I'm having one tomo, impromptu day off and kids still going to childminder. I'm paying for it anyway and it's too short notice to take it as a holiday from her so off they will go and I'm having a duvet day, in bed. Can't wait.
Take a day off and do it

BloodyHell33 Tue 01-Mar-16 21:47:58

smallbee alas this is not an option for me. I have 10 weeks holiday a year which is harder than working so extra day is impossible.

StickyToffeePuddingAndCustard Tue 01-Mar-16 21:48:39

YABU

You take a day to yourself just once and you will get a taste for it. Then the craving starts.

It is a slippery slope.

7Days Tue 01-Mar-16 21:49:06

Oh yes I dream of it. Could dh take kids to his mums some saturday? While you are sadly home ill, having a pub lunch with the paper? You could do the same for him another time.

BloodyHell33 Tue 01-Mar-16 21:49:26

Lala I'm jealous. I considered sending the kids to the CM for a full day on Easter half term but we just can't afford it. Especially since DH wouldn't even be able to take it off and enjoy it.

UmbongoUnchained Tue 01-Mar-16 21:49:41

I had a day to myself yesterday. I watched 12 hours of ER and ate 2 whole pizzas to myself. It was fucking amazing.

Muskateersmummy Tue 01-Mar-16 21:51:24

Yanbu. I do this every now and then. Have a day out either go and have a facial, or hair done, coffee and cake. Or I go off to a spa with my mum or friends. I leave dd with dh for a day at the weekend and have a day to myself. Usually after he has had a weekend away with the boys!

BloodyHell33 Tue 01-Mar-16 21:51:37

7days a mum swap/visit. Now, that would take a whole day. And that would mean a day off each. Especially as they both live a few hours away. I like your thinking. (We are both shit as our parent are of visiting out mothers)

Xmasbaby11 Tue 01-Mar-16 21:52:01

I take a few days like that a year. It's brilliant!

Actually I had an operation 6 weeks ago and I'm off sick recovering. I have 4 days at home a week alone while the kids are at nursery. It is amazing (now the pain is fading!)!!!

BloodyHell33 Tue 01-Mar-16 21:52:21

Umbongo <applauds>

What toppings?

Imnotaslimjim Tue 01-Mar-16 21:53:08

I'm at college fulltime rather than work but its full on and I am struggling a little mentally

2 weeks ago I told college the DC were sick, sent them to school and afterschool club and spent the day watching crap, eating shite curled up under a duvet in my PJ's. It was awesome!

It really recharged my batteries, was just what I needed.

Is there any chance you can get someone to have the DC for a day over a school holiday so you can have a quiet day?

Caravanoflove Tue 01-Mar-16 21:55:03

My DH and I both took a day off yesterday (he is self employed but will work sat instead). We only had time for the cinema and a coffee as had to get kids at 3.30pm but it was fab. First time we've been to the cinema together for 8 years as can never justify the cost of the babysitter!

SirChenjin Tue 01-Mar-16 21:55:11

I discovered I still have a day's annual leave to take before the end of the month - had totally forgotten about it. I intend to take myself off to the posh part of town, mooch about the charity shops with no-one complaining in my ear and treat myself to a nice lunch. I won't even tell them I'm off, because someone will decide they are ill if I do, or that they've forgotten something essential and I need to bring it to school.

Sometimes I fantasise about being admitted to hospital for a few days for something not serious just so I can have a few days to myself and my meals cooked for me. I'm not even fussy about the menu - I'll happily eat whatever the give me.

YADDDDDDDDNBU

Strokethefurrywall Tue 01-Mar-16 21:55:41

I try and do this every couple of months - drop the kids, get my book, get into my bikini, get coffee and breakfast and head to the beach and just lie in the sun.

I have a Ritz spa voucher to use soon, I'm going to take 2 days, one for beach, one for spa.

Utter bliss.

UmbongoUnchained Tue 01-Mar-16 21:55:51

bloodyhell they were both just plain cheese but I added extra and some garlic butter it's was so dirty but so good 😂

badfurday Tue 01-Mar-16 21:56:59

I did this last week. I had two whole days of pottering about on my own. Twas beautiful. grin
I shopped, had lunch and people watched, went for a haircut, went to the cinema and, and... Had a blissful afternoon nap.

OhahIlostmybra Tue 01-Mar-16 21:57:36

I have two words for you. Sick leave.

SirChenjin Tue 01-Mar-16 21:59:10

shock

You're going straight to MN hell for that Oh - sick leave must only ever be used when you are actually on your death bed and this close >< to death.

tupperwareAARGGH Tue 01-Mar-16 21:59:16

I'd like 2 weeks off work and my kids grin

Somewhere nice and warm with beautiful seas and no people and a packed kindle

Joolsy Tue 01-Mar-16 21:59:54

I work term time only too so don't get to take any time off as such, but I only work 3 days a week while my DDs are at school. I catch up on housework & other chores but I also go for coffee, watch what I want on the TV & chill out occasionally. I feel I need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now