Talk

Advanced search

To cancel a doctors appointment for dry cough/possible croup?

(9 Posts)
SaggingTits Tue 01-Mar-16 14:46:56

I made a doctors appointment this morning as my ds has been ill for a few days. Very snotty, the odd cough throughout the day but other than fine. However, during the night he has an awful dry cough (totally different to day cough). Last few nights he's been struggling to breath, but last night he seemed to panic (flapping his arms and pointing at me frantically).

Spoke to GP via phone who said it sounds like croup and to go in to see if steroids are needed. 6 hours after booking appointment ds seems fine except hoarse voice and being v snooty. One small cough.

Feel like I'm wasting NHS time as he doesn't seem ill enough to require treatment. No doubt they will recommend steam room, etc and send us away. During the night I was sure he needed looking at, but now I'm not so sure?

MiniCooperLover Tue 01-Mar-16 15:01:25

He was struggling to breath at one point and you aren't sure whether to get him checked out ?? Just because he seems a bit better now doesn't mean he doesn't need assistance.

MissBattleaxe Tue 01-Mar-16 15:02:20

Croup can be very dangerous and is especially bad at night. Definitely get it checked out.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 01-Mar-16 15:04:39

Croup is always worse at night, I would get steroids.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Tue 01-Mar-16 15:17:10

You said yourself he's been OK during the day then bad at night, definitely keep the appointment

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Tue 01-Mar-16 15:19:36

You're not wasting NHS time or money if your little boy is struggling to breathe.
I went in with my 14mo DD's awful night time cough two weeks ago, and they gave us an inhaler to help us. The same night we tried it she slept through the longest she has in months and had barely a whimper out of her. The previous three nights she'd been having multiple hour coughing fits.
Just see the doctor, they may be able to help.

jimijack Tue 01-Mar-16 15:25:56

I would keep the appointment but just to get him checked over.
Group is viral, mostly gets better without treatment unless it is severe.
I recommend nhs choices website, there is factual information on there about group and what red flags to look out for.

It does not always need steroids, it definitely does not need antibiotics, just steam inhalation and ibuprofen for inflammation. Also elevation of the head of the bed is helpful. Put a wrote towel over the radiator in his bedroom tonight to generate some humidity.

Ime it gets better after about 48 hours.
Hopefully your little fella is at the tail end if he is better today x

jimijack Tue 01-Mar-16 15:27:00

Wet towel, and CROUP not group obv!!

HungryHorace Tue 01-Mar-16 15:31:55

Steam isn't recommended for croup now; they've decided that cold air is better. My DD was given antibiotics the first time she had croup, but hasn't had them the two times she's had it since.

I'd definitely go to the GP as you'd kick yourself if he worsened again tonight and you'd not been.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now