Talk

Advanced search

in wanting my Fitbit to work accurately?

(42 Posts)
MrsDeathOfRats Mon 29-Feb-16 22:36:27

I bought a Fitbit. A charge HR. Back in January.
I loved it.

Then it started counting random flights of stairs.
One day it gave me a medal for counting over 100 flights of stairs. The same day it recorded 52 flights on my log. confused

I get that the actual step counter might not be 100% accurate. If I wave my arm around it often records steps, but that is fair enough.
A flight of stairs is defined by an elevation of 10 feet. My arm is not that long. So waving it around does not come close to a flight of stairs.

I complained. They sent me a complimentary replacement.
It is doing the same bastarding thing. Only with added not counting active minutes.

AIBU to simply expect it to do its job? And work accurately??
I've complained again but won't get a response until tomorrow.
angry

Iggi999 Mon 29-Feb-16 22:39:34

If I drive up a hill mine logs flights.

MrsDeathOfRats Mon 29-Feb-16 22:43:18

I do live in a high rise with a lift but the flights counted can be random and don't correlate to the lift. Also it can count them on days I don't leave the flat!!

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Mon 29-Feb-16 22:44:12

I have the Surge. I noticed that it counts more flights than I'm doing but my walk to and from work includes some hills so I think it's counting them. As far as active minutes are concerned it only counts them after 10 consecutive minutes and your heart rate needs to be elevated a bit, could that be why yours isn't recording them?

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Mon 29-Feb-16 22:45:35

cross post there, if you don't leave your flat and it records flights sounds like it's buggered!!!

MrsDeathOfRats Mon 29-Feb-16 22:46:34

Went for a run today. Ran 30 mins.
Recorded 0 active minutes.

angry

stayathomegardener Mon 29-Feb-16 22:47:27

Try it on a ride on mower 32,000 steps in two hours.
The vibrations I think and then on days I'm not doing the lawns I swear it thinks I'm not trying.
Not recharging at the moment, it's quite a relief.

sunniest Mon 29-Feb-16 22:48:46

when we had that really windy day (storm something-or-other) mine gave me about 50 flights. I read on their help forums that the stairs count is calculated by something to do with atmospheric pressure measuring altitude so on days when it is really stormy you can end up with crazy readings. Don't suppose you live on the outer hebrides or up a mountain at all?

PurpleWithRed Mon 29-Feb-16 22:48:52

Mine works beautifully. Since getting it I have lost 10lbs. I will hear nothing bad spoken of it.

DoreenLethal Mon 29-Feb-16 22:49:52

It does do random things with stairs, drives me crackers. And forgets the odd active minutes which is so irritatingafter you do some exercise.

Definitely send it back. Again.

PuntCuffin Mon 29-Feb-16 22:51:07

Mine is the same. Have had it since June. It reckons I climb Mt Everest most days when I sit on my fat arse at my desk from 9-5.

Eeek. I've just this minute ordered one. Mistake?!

MrsDeathOfRats Mon 29-Feb-16 22:52:46

I live in north London.
But I do live on the 9th floor of a large tower block.... So perhaps the air is thinner here then?!? wink

I loved it when I first got it. It was beautiful, magical wonderful shiny new gadget that monitored my life and reported on my day and health.

Now it lies to me and is refusing to accept when I exercise.... I fear for its future place in my life and I want my £80 back

DragonmotherKhaleesi Mon 29-Feb-16 22:53:17

I sent mine back for a refund for this exact reason.
I know have the Garmin vivosmart hr!!

arethereanyleftatall Mon 29-Feb-16 22:59:45

Today's active minutes - 54, I've been doing housework.
Yesterday's active minutes -0, I went for a bloody run!!

But, aside from the active minutes being inconsistent, I love mine. The steps are near enough accurate.

Babieseverywhere Tue 01-Mar-16 04:27:00

If you are about to go for a run, hold down the button for a couple of seconds and that will start an manual active count and hold it again to stop active count. Or do the same thing from the Fitbit app on your mobile and it will also record your route via your phone's gps!

Check on your computer version of Fitbit software that you have the pick up automatic activity option clicked and it should pick up exercise after 10 minutes of constant elevated heart rate.

It automatically counts 6 (I think) foot of vertical increase as a flight, so walking up and down hills gives you high flight numbers.

Lastly make sure the band is snug enough but not too tight. I push mine up my arm by a couple of cm before I start running and always get a good reading.

My Fitbit Charge HR is as accurate as my Fitbit One for steps and like pp I have consistent lost 1.4lbs a week by watching my food intake and walk/running 5 miles aka 12 000 steps a day (I have a short stride and programmed my stride length into the software. 10 000 steps is about 4.6 miles for me !)

Just 38 lbs down and many more to go.

I absolutely LOVE my Fitbit to pieces and hope it doesn't start doing crazy things.

HTH

Babieseverywhere Tue 01-Mar-16 04:34:53

Also it gives medals for daily steps and flights and for a running total of steps and flights you have on your Fitbit account.

So check if your 100 flight badge was a total flights over your Fitbit lifetime or not
I recently a distance medal recently for walking the corral reef but that was over months/years of use not one day.

Katenka Tue 01-Mar-16 06:17:53

Are you sure it's not the 100 flights award for doing 100 flights since you had it? Like pp said.

I have charge hr, also had the flex. Never had these problems.

It does record lots of flights of stairs if I walk up hills.

It's always been pretty accurate for active minutes too. But you do have to be continuously moving your arms for at least 10 mins.

confusedandemployed Tue 01-Mar-16 06:26:09

I'm baffled as well. On my second Charge HR (last one fell apart with use) and never had these problems. I second pressing and holding the button to signal the start and end of exercise.
I love it. I was a total cynic before I got it, took me a day to convert to Fitbitism

MrsDeathOfRats Tue 01-Mar-16 07:28:04

Checked the settings and it is set up to automatically start active minutes.

Yesterday I had a 30 minute nap as well but it didn't record that.

I've been out of bed for about 10 minutes so far.
I live in a flat. I have walked from my bedroom to bathroom to kitchen.
It has recorded 1 flight of stairs.

I loved it when I first got it. It was awesome. Really made a difference to my daily life.
But now.... It's just a source of irritation!

MrsDeathOfRats Tue 01-Mar-16 07:28:41

Now it's 2 floors. I literally haven't moved while writing that last post....

CoperCabana Tue 01-Mar-16 07:34:42

The wind definitely adds loads of flights of stairs. But stairs are just an fyi i believe. They don't add to your calorific burn. Haven't had the active minute issue.

I love mine. Feel much fitter having started in the New Year and lost over 1.5 stones.

colleysmill Tue 01-Mar-16 07:35:18

Hhmmm I'd have to say mine is quite accurate on stairs and it does count the hills when I run. The recording of workouts is really useful.

My only complaint is I would like a super waterproof one as I've recently got into ocr (mud runs) and obviously I can't wear it for those although I did log it manually and it gave me a step count (but not all the climbing out of muddy puddles)

wulfy1010 Tue 01-Mar-16 07:39:21

You can set driving as an activity to stop it counting steps or flights on your drive to work (or mowing the lawn smile )

MrsDeathOfRats Tue 01-Mar-16 07:54:26

Changed its mind back to 1 flight of stairs now....

Am I the only one getting this?
Fair enough if you go uphill - that makes sense.
But I am in my flat, have barely got dressed yet. Made the kids breakfast and already it can't decide if I've done 1 or 2 flights of stairs.
I haven't done any!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now