Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

...to ask for your experiences of vaginal prolapse?

(10 Posts)
Runningupthathill82 Mon 29-Feb-16 14:36:02

So I gave birth to DD five weeks ago. Straightforward, if very fast, vaginal birth in the pool. Was stitched up for a second degree tear.

Anyway, since then I've had the feeling that something isn't "right." I can feel a bulging, a sort of heaviness, in my vagina when I walk and especially when I run.

Visually, nothing is poking out, but when I get a mirror I can see a red bulge inside the entrance. It goes back in if I poke it and then just comes out again.

Anyway. Obviously I'm going to mention this to my GP at my 6 week check next week, but has anyone got any experiences of this that they can share? Is it common? Might it go away on its own?!

I already feel fat, flabby and knackered and this is just the icing on the rather revolting cake. All help welcomed!

TheBalefulGroke Mon 29-Feb-16 14:42:56

Hi running, congratulations on your DD!flowers
There's a really helpful long running thread over in general health topic, used to be called 'any old prolapse' or similar, and many people on there have had prolapse, and undergone treatment, they're very knowledgeable, and really lovely.
Sorry I can't link on my phone. If no-one else links, I'll do it later when I'm home.
Take care.

Sparklingbrook Mon 29-Feb-16 14:48:37

Congratulations on your new arrival. flowers 5 weeks is early days for everything to have gone back into place. It may very well right itself in time, but GP will advise. Plus nag you about pelvic floor exercises.

Here's the thread Baleful referred to. Not sure if it's very active bit might be a good bit of reading.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2029646-Pt-8-Oct13-Any-old-prolapse-Uterus-womb-prolapse-rectocele-cystocele-enterocele-urethrocele-incontinence-pelvic-floor-anterior-and-posterior-repair-TVT-etc-994-Posts

I have teens but remember the fat flabby and knackered bit quite well.

Tinwoodman Mon 29-Feb-16 15:09:57

This can be common after a normal birth, you should have been advised to start your pelvic floor exercises asap.

If not you should. It's not just the birth, pushing a baby out & tearing that does the damage, it's the weight of the pregnancy that also weakens the pelvic floor muscles.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/your-body-after-childbirth.aspx

You need to do 3 sets of 10 at least 4-6 times a day. Do them when hoovering, washing up etc.

Definitely mention it to your GP at your PN check. I think they'll say start with the exercises & adopt a wait & see approach. You can buy pelvic toners, although I'm not sure on the evidence base/guidance on using them. This can be fixed without surgery. You also need to make sure you eat enough fibre & drink enough so your not constipated.

Tinwoodman Mon 29-Feb-16 15:11:23

Oops, you're 5 weeks PN. Sorry that should read whilst your DH is hoovering & washing up!

Sparklingbrook Mon 29-Feb-16 15:11:34

I remember walking into town with DS1 when he was two weeks old and having to stop because it felt like all my lady parts were about to fall out. sad

Tywinlannister Mon 29-Feb-16 15:21:07

I remember laughed heartily at a joke, about a month after the (ventouse) birth. I could feel my lower bits shaking and bulging with the laughter like jowls.

Within about 6 months and plenty of kegals, everything was fine. Congrats on baby flowers

stargirl1701 Mon 29-Feb-16 15:45:09

I felt like that after my first. It turned out to be extra skin after the stitching. I had my tear restitched and it was back to normal after 48 hours.

With my second, I had a perineal cyst which was easily sorted too.

Don't panic.

fusionconfusion Mon 29-Feb-16 15:58:29

I am two years post partum on dc3 and I have only recently noticed that feeling again, having had immediately postpartum like you on this pg. I am going to follow that pelvic floor routine, Tinwoodman, I am terrible at doing them.

Pelvic floors will help - even if it is (worst case) a proper prolapse, either rectal or bladder as it doesn't sound like uterine one, they go for physio first before they contemplate surgery and they won't do that until you've finished having children. I had a double prolapse, waited 6 years until I had it fixed and it was okay - not fun, but not the worst thing to have done.

Congratulations on the DC and give it some time - it's early days yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now