We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be irritated by this party?

(21 Posts)
SharingMichelle Mon 29-Feb-16 09:57:54

We live in an area with a fairly high turnover of families. People come and go all the time. Children join the school and leave.

I have a friend who, every year, throws a party for her boys (twins in the same year) and invites all the children who have been in the school together since reception.

My daughter isn't invited because we didn't arrive until a year after reception. I am mildly sour grapes about it. I'm not exactly sure why it irks me because I'm honestly not bothered when my children aren't invited to parties. You can't go to everything, and we certainly don't invite everyone we know to everything.

But... I don't know, something about it just seems a bit mean spirited to me. Am I totally out of my tree?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 29-Feb-16 10:03:44

No you're not out of your tree. That's a very mean trick to play. Inviting a whole class and leaving one child out. It's exclusion and bullying.

Samcro Mon 29-Feb-16 10:04:00

how old are they?

AliceInUnderpants Mon 29-Feb-16 10:06:21

That's a very mean trick to play. Inviting a whole class and leaving one child out.

Where did OP say her DC is the only one excluded? I got the impression there's probably few people who've been there since day 1.

CreamofTartar Mon 29-Feb-16 10:09:21

By the sound of it, the OP's child is one of many not invited to the party. It seems a bit arbitrary to invite only those who were in reception with the boys - surely they play with people who came to the school later?

DoorbellsSleighbellsSchnitzel Mon 29-Feb-16 10:11:54

So, in theory, the birthday children could be inviting a child that they're not particularly bothered about, simply because they've been at school together since 'the beginning' but leaving out a 'new' child that they may have made friends with because they're 'new' (and therefore may already be feeling a bit left out)? Sounds a bit bonkers and quite frankly, shitty to me.

araiba Mon 29-Feb-16 10:12:40

That's a very mean trick to play. Inviting a whole class and leaving one child out. It's exclusion and bullying.

what an overreaction to something you didn't even bother to read

GreenFishYellowFish Mon 29-Feb-16 10:13:29

The mum is probably a cliquey type who only chats to other mums she has known for 200 years and won't engage with 'newcomers'

CooPie10 Mon 29-Feb-16 10:16:29

Ilive did you even read the op properly or just automatically jumped to overreact.

Where did the op say the children are even in the same class let alone being the only one left out?hmm

Millymollymoo8 Mon 29-Feb-16 10:35:08

She is not your friend! Mean thing to do imho.

Don't invite her children, it might make her think.

Katarzyna79 Mon 29-Feb-16 10:42:47

here I was thinking parties were for best friends only not the whole bloody class, I don't understand this new trend pushed by parents not kids. They will always say oh johnnie really wants a party and wants to invite all the class, including the teacher and the class ferret, yeah right!

OP you say you're not bothered stay that way it's not worth getting into a pickle over.

SharingMichelle Mon 29-Feb-16 10:52:25

Just to clarify - no, dd isn't the only one not invited! And it's not a birthday party either. It's just a celebration for the children who have been in the school the longest.

Greenfish - haha, yes, definite cliquiness about long timers vs 'newcomers'.

Doorbells, exactly. Some of the boys good friends don't go... but kids who they never play with do, because the criteria for an invitation has nothing to do with the boys friends.

It's all about the mum and her celebration of... I dunno, living here longer than most people?

Katar - you are completely right. I shouldn't be in a pickle. Can't help but feel irritated though. I need to wind my neck in I think!

WhoisLucasHood Mon 29-Feb-16 10:55:54

Yes it seems very odd but perhaps she's not that involved with the kids at school. We were given the class names for the kids in reception, perhaps she's just writing the invitation according to something like this? Oblivious that kids have left and new ones have joined.
Straw clutching here as I cannot fathom a normal reason for doing this.

WhoisLucasHood Mon 29-Feb-16 10:57:09

Oh cross post. It's a party for the original class. Yes very stupid.

Razorlightnight Mon 29-Feb-16 10:58:25

Throw your own party at the same time for everyone not invited?

WonderingAspie Mon 29-Feb-16 11:52:21

Maybe you could have a celebration for all the children who haven't been there since day one. wink

What a wanky thing to do (the other mum). Who even throws a party for a non event like this anyway. Children are always coming and going. DS's class has settled down now but all through the infants, there were various comings and goings in his class. It's not something to celebrate or even think about on a day to day basis.

MrsJayy Mon 29-Feb-16 12:39:22

It just sounds cliquey and meh would you want your child going anyway .

SharingMichelle Mon 29-Feb-16 14:47:21

I'm so glad it's not just me. I've always felt mildly narked by it, every year.

It seems so exclusive, and not at all in the spirit of making new friends.

Well now I've been validated I shall forget all about it until next year.

MrsJayy Mon 29-Feb-16 15:58:21

There was a little group when eldest was in Primary the mum s had been to baby groups but the kids monumentally fell out in Primary 7 it was all very awkward for the nuns they had booked a limo for the leavera party none of the kids spoke to each other and the mum's were frosty being exclusive like that can not be good for the kids

BlueJug Mon 29-Feb-16 17:22:12

Why is this a problem.? We all have parties and invite who we want. I have a parties for my ex uni friends, different parties at work for those of us who joined when we were based in X building etc. I don't invite the whole offie to everything or all my friends to everything.

At our primary there were parties for the kids who went to the same nursery together, parties for kids in one class not another and parties for the football team. Birthday parties were rarely for the whole class - too expensive. You picked who you wanted.

Why should you be invited? If you have a party do you invite your DD's friends or everyone - to everything?? I don't get it. She isn't excluding your child. (That would be Unreasonable)

If you want a party for everyone - hold one

EduCated Mon 29-Feb-16 17:38:40

That is a bit bizarre - one thing if it happens to be all the kids who've been there from the start, but not inviting good friends simply because they don't fit the criteria is, frankly, odd.

What does she say when she invites people/talks about it? How does she describe it?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now