Spin off thread about cleaning in restaurants

(16 Posts)
FoxesSitOnBoxes Sun 28-Feb-16 20:13:38

The thread about picking up after children in restaurants got me thinking:
Can I ask people who work in restaurants what they use to clean the high chair trays? At home I treat ours like a plate as DS basically eats off it (drops a lot on the way to his mouth using spoon then picks off tray with fingers) so I clean in the dishwasher or use hot water and fairy liquid.
Out and about (I'm looking at you IKEA) I'm a bit grossed out by how many high chair trays are just left all sticky/quickly wiped by last user/
glanced at and put away as long as they look clean.
Or if they are cleaned then are the cleaning sprays etc OK for a surface that people are likely to be eating from?
I guess my AIBU is AIBU to think that high chair trays should be cleaned to the same standard that plates are cleaned between one customer and the next?
(Ha! This is both long and boring. Sorry!)

FoxesSitOnBoxes Sun 28-Feb-16 20:20:13

Ha! Really really boring

HelsBels3000 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:23:09

I take those Milton or Dettol antibacterial wipes and wipe down highchairs before use - at least I did with PFB, 3rd DC just gets plonked in a highchair and fed nowadays!

usual Sun 28-Feb-16 20:25:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ouryve Sun 28-Feb-16 20:26:02

We used to take antibac wipes with us because they were almost always sticky - so we almost always left high chairs much, much cleaner than we found them!

Dozyoldtwonk Sun 28-Feb-16 20:27:50

I give them a quick baby wipe before plonking DD in. You're right - some of them are disgustingly unclean my local garden centre, I'm looking at you

KP86 Sun 28-Feb-16 20:29:48

Our high chairs don't have trays, they are the wooden ones that parents can butt up to the tables.

jillyarmeen16 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:19:46

Our highchairs clip onto the table so no tray every table gets a wipe with anti bac before being re laid all highchairs get a good clean with hot soapy water each night.

Anotherwriter Sun 28-Feb-16 21:20:58

Anti-bac wipes here too

Doilooklikeatourist Sun 28-Feb-16 21:24:13

We use a sanitising spray after the high chair ( and the tray if used ) has been cleaned down
And have been complimented on how clean the high chair is , when its been used

ijustwannadance Sun 28-Feb-16 21:24:45

Most places will have some sort of cleaning spray. I hated the wooden high chairs when I worked in pubs. It was the straps that were always filthy as wiping them was useless. Smooth plastic ones easier to clean.

RainbowCake Sun 28-Feb-16 21:30:28

We used sanitiser after every use, not just on the top of the tray but the seat and anywhere sticky little hands could reach. Straps would be removed and put through the washing machine at least once a week.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Sun 28-Feb-16 21:50:15

Am feeling more reassured, thanks!

Purplehonesty Sun 28-Feb-16 22:00:42

We have IKEA antilops in my cafe.

The sanitiser is a food safe spray and is used liberally with a brand new green cloth which goes in the bin after. Then I dry the chair with a paper towel.

We don't often put trays out with the chairs unless they are requested so the seat/straps and handles get a good clean after every use. And if we do use a tray it goes in the industrial dishwasher

Ours are immaculate and like new, I too hated my DC using manky sticky highchairs. I don't think everyone cleans like we do tho, you see waitresses cleaning tables and highchairs with the same cloth they've had all day (boke)

FoxesSitOnBoxes Sun 28-Feb-16 23:05:36

Ah Purple, I want to eat in your cafe!

akindofmagic Mon 29-Feb-16 09:20:44

In our restaurant we use IKEA high chairs without trays and after every use they are cleaned with the same anti-bac spray we use to clean the worktops and surfaces in the kitchen. Periodically they get put through the dishwasher too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now