Talk

Advanced search

to think a nine year old might remember my name?

(43 Posts)
Flingingmelon Sun 28-Feb-16 10:04:30

I have guests staying for the weekend. One little girl ,9, has called me by the wrong name about a dozen times. I have corrected her every single time.

It's starting to piss me off, which I know is silly because she's only nine.

But AIBU to think she might get it right for once? I'm not a little mouse type person who is easily forgettable!

NeedsAsockamnesty Sun 28-Feb-16 10:05:46

She's 9, 9 year olds are not the same as grown ups.

OohMavis Sun 28-Feb-16 10:06:38

It's starting to piss me off, which I know is silly because she's only nine.

Well there you go, you know it's silly.

I'm not a little mouse type person who is easily forgettable!

Obviously are to this nine year old grin

Fluffyears Sun 28-Feb-16 10:09:16

I'm 36 and awful with names too.

paxillin Sun 28-Feb-16 10:09:21

Call her Brenda (unless she's actually Brenda, in which case call her Maisie).

DoreenLethal Sun 28-Feb-16 10:09:38

Call her by random wrong names and when she asks say you thought she was playing 'opposite day' and were just joining in.

Or do as my students do and say 'what's my name?' when they address me as 'miss' or the wrong name and then smile when they get it right and proceed as usual.

Or just brush it off. She's 9!

Narp Sun 28-Feb-16 10:10:36

Maybe she has a poor memory; language difficulties, your name is unfamiliar, or you did something to piss her off... what did you do ???

Also, forgetting a name is not the same as forgetting a person

blackcatwhitewhiskers Sun 28-Feb-16 10:10:46

It might be unreasonable but to be honest, this is something I find grates on me regardless of age.

I have had a lifetime of people saying the wrong name to me, though.

blackcatwhitewhiskers Sun 28-Feb-16 10:11:19

In a way, it is Narp

A name is a huge part of your identity.

Like I say though, I've had a lifetime of it!

Flingingmelon Sun 28-Feb-16 10:13:12

Okay, it's normal. I'll stop worrying for her!

grin

acasualobserver Sun 28-Feb-16 10:13:14

It's starting to piss me off

Perhaps she's realised this and is doing it on purpose. It's the sort of thing I would've done aged nine.

Flingingmelon Sun 28-Feb-16 10:14:02

Narp - I've fed her pizza and icecream!

blackcatwhitewhiskers Sun 28-Feb-16 10:16:25

All you can do flinging is smile sweetly and keep correcting her.

A typical conversation every day for me goes:

'Ooh, hannah, I've got those photocopies you wanted!'
Me, smiling sweetly. 'Anna. Thank you.'
'I'll send them up later hannah, OK?'
'Anna. Thanks.'

angry grin

Hannah isn't my name. Neither is Anna!

SleepyBoBo Sun 28-Feb-16 10:28:10

I have one of those names that everyone seems to get slightly wrong everytime I introduce myself. There's only so many times you can correct it before giving up. Unless you are going to be around this girl a lot, for many months/years, I'd drop it. If she doesn't get it, she just won't, some people are awful with names (that's why why I mis-heard a name, I do the very British thing of avoiding calling that person by name again).

lizzydrippingsghost Sun 28-Feb-16 10:28:38

when my friends daughter was little she couldnt pronouce my name so she would call me missa instead of mellissa.
she still does it now only shes fucking 19
it winds me up no end

Stompylongnose Sun 28-Feb-16 10:39:15

There's lots of reasons why she might get it wrong.
Your name might be similar to a close friend so instead of Emma she might call you Emmy as she's used to saying that.
It might be that a common name for our generation might be unusual for hers so she forgets. For example Tracy or Nicola.
You might have a different nickname to someone she knows with the same name. For example you might be Katherine nickname Kate where as Katie is more popular in her experience.
You might look like another adult she knows. My children have all called their teachers mum by accident.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Sun 28-Feb-16 10:45:47

I used to gently tease one of my brownies at that age because she never remembered my name unless she stopped and thought (dramatically) for ages. I joked that I had twenty odd of them and still got her name right, the least she could do was remember mine!

But i knew the child and her mum well enough to know she would take it as light heartedly as I intended it. With other kids of that age who either I didn't know as well or knew would take it to heart, I would just gently prompt them with my name or just let them call me miss or whatever.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 28-Feb-16 10:48:43

I have a reasonably uncommon but well known name and people have often got it completely wrong.

So say my name is Becky, I've been called Roxy, Heidi, Candy, Cassandra etc instead. I guess it just doesn't stick.

I wouldn't be bothered by a 9 year old doing this, she probably doesn't realise and obviously is in the habit of saying it.

PollyPerky Sun 28-Feb-16 10:57:53

Oh dear. You do sound a bit up your own. Maybe make yourself a name label so she can read it.

VoldysGoneMouldy Sun 28-Feb-16 11:02:50

I'm in my twenties and am atrocious with names. I can remember details about people, it's not like I'm not paying attention, because I'll remember all the conversation... But names, nope.

nocoolnamesleft Sun 28-Feb-16 11:05:13

Wear a name badge!

Witchend Sun 28-Feb-16 11:53:33

I'm dreadful with names. I can remember lots of things about a person, birthdays, siblings, name of their cat, etc but not name. I find it frustrating, but I don't do it on purpose.

NickiFury Sun 28-Feb-16 13:05:54

Tell her Mum. I'd want to know so I could tell you what a tool you were being about a nine year old CHILD.

YakTriangle Sun 28-Feb-16 13:44:11

Write it across your forehead in eyeliner.

WaitingForMe Sun 28-Feb-16 13:52:22

I don't think OP is the slightest bit unreasonable. DSS(10) has SEN and when he didn't know the name of his new riding teacher we explained to him that it was something important. He made a real effort to ask the next week and now remembers.

But under the same roof? DSS(7) would be losing computer privileges if he was that rude!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now