Five years ago I had a full time job but because of government cuts to carers I have not had a job at all for three years

(5 Posts)
Owllady Sat 27-Feb-16 23:41:12

I'd like to discuss this
I'd like to know how many other carers have been affected by the cuts
I had an outlet at work, I got 12 hours care a week so i could work. It was reduced to nothing
I get 5 hours a fortnight and because if my working situation I've had to give up work altogether
I've been denied the chance and opportunity to put into the system that I am capable of (and the I am capable of more but I did what I could around my responsibilities)
Have other carers been affected by this?
My aibu is that I'm not smile
I'm not a journalist, I think that's quite apparent
I don't claim any benefits other than carers allowance

VimFuego101 Sat 27-Feb-16 23:43:19

Carers are hugely unappreciated by the government. It would cost far more than they pay you in carers allowance to fund full time care if you decided you couldn't afford to live on a pittance and needed to work full time.

thisismeusernameything Sat 27-Feb-16 23:50:09

Why didn't you continue to work and pay for the care out of your own pocket? Is it not cost effective? I'm not having a go at you. I am genuinely interested.flowers

FanjofortheMammaries Sat 27-Feb-16 23:53:59

I only manage to work as we get holiday playscheme. But that is being cut and a place is not guaranteed this summer..it's very scary. No option to pay for it out of own pocket. No self funding place is available anywhere.

thisismeusernameything Sun 28-Feb-16 00:07:43

I'm interested because my mother gave up work to look after my grandmother. She retired early and hated her job anyway so the costs of cleaners, home help etc were never genuinely weighed up. Like I said Im genuinely interested in the costs of what under valued carers are saving the government and what inheritance my mother is saving my lazy jack uncle who does NOTHING to help his mother

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now