Talk

Advanced search

To think individually wrapped sweets should be banned from the theatre?

(25 Posts)
SalemSaberhagen Sat 27-Feb-16 21:50:05

Went to see An Inspector Calls today. A brilliant play, but marred by the person systematically working their way through a bag of fucking Murray Mints.

Why, why did they think that would be a good idea? Surely it ruined their own enjoyment of the play? All that crinkling angry

MatildaTheCat Sat 27-Feb-16 21:53:25

Yavvvdnbu. I was at the theatre this afternoon as well. Ok, it was for children so some noise expected but by god, the rustling was unreal. Would have been the same no matter the age group.

I suggest only pre unwrapped soft sweets to be allowed. smile

SorrelForbes Sat 27-Feb-16 21:55:01

I sat next to peole last night who were eating crisps angry

WorraLiberty Sat 27-Feb-16 21:55:46

YANBU

It's even worse in the cinema, where some people work their way through a whole banquet of food and drink.

Lanark2 Sat 27-Feb-16 21:56:25

Agree. And all stupid crinkly packets too.. Fucking really really annoying...it should be decamted to cloth mesh bags and a special sweety area for childish twatty adults should be in every cinema.. Or better, sweet only and sweet free showings

SalemSaberhagen Sat 27-Feb-16 21:58:28

I don't know why people have to eat at the theatre/cinema at all. It is 2, 3 hours. Surely people can go that long without eating?

Crisps sorrel?! shock That's horribly antisocial!

dreame Sat 27-Feb-16 22:13:50

I have had this at the opera and classical concerts too. A nice silent moment before an instrument starts and crinkle crinkle crinkle crinkle. You are DEFINITELY NOT BU!!

Keeptrudging Sat 27-Feb-16 23:02:39

I confiscated sweets from my husband for this very reason last time we were at the ballet. He took it well. It was either that or I would have kept nipping him angry.

magicsoakingmyspine Sat 27-Feb-16 23:39:41

Ooohhhh An Inspector Calls, my favourite play ever. Crap about the sweets though, I would've fixated on that and been seething that they were ruining it for me and missed the play.

YANBU

januarybrown1998 Sun 28-Feb-16 07:21:38

YADNBU.

A gimlet stare and a loud 'shush' usually does it.

I fail to see how eating shite sweets can possibly enhance enjoyment of a play.

AwkwardSquad Sun 28-Feb-16 07:49:14

YADNBU

Hate this. Hate it hate it hate it. Some people seem to be incapable of basic consideration for others. I nearly caused an incident during the interval at an RSC performance of Coriolanus because the people behind us had unwrapped crinkly sweets all the way through the first half. Even in the quiet bits. This was one of the RSC touring shows when they perform in leisure centres and so on, so the seating is really close to the stage area. I'm pretty sure the actors could hear the crinkling too.

JosephBrodsky Sun 28-Feb-16 08:06:59

Well, it's more bourgeois but no less annoying and loud, but someone sitting in the upper circle just in front of me at ENO's Norma last week opened a Tupperware tub and started munching noisily on a stick of fucking celery during the flute intro to 'Casta Diva'. Then started digging into the hummus with a giant packet of Tyrrells' crisps. And was rather put out when I suggested this wasn't ok.

dreame Sun 28-Feb-16 08:15:18

Celery?!!

AwkwardSquad Sun 28-Feb-16 08:54:14

Celery?? Hummus and crisps? Jesus. They'll be hauling a microwave in next and heating up ready meals. Waitrose ones, obvs.

toohardtothinkofaname Sun 28-Feb-16 09:21:20

YANBU

we're avid cinema goers & it boils my pee that as soon as the lights go down there's a chorus of rustling. Even worse is the person who tries to open a bag slowly to attempt to be quiet & it just isn't. It's a couple of hours long, you're not going to starve to death! angry

inyurdreams Sun 28-Feb-16 09:30:03

You'd think people could manage a couple of hours without eating.

Birdsgottafly Sun 28-Feb-16 09:38:51

I think that eating shouldn't happen in the theatre, they still have intervals.

I think they should be stricter and need to recognise that, that's what make people think again before shelling out for tickets costing £60-90. I like London theatres, so I pay out for the train and hotel, on top.

The cinema is different, we've always been encouraged to buy popcorn etc to take in with us.

I eat snacks at home whilst watching a film.

I agree that you should choose quite, non smelly food, though.

mummytime Sun 28-Feb-16 10:07:11

Well theatre's should sell sweets in non-crickle wrappings (like the free cough sweets you can get at the Royal Opera house - coughing is worse, but the cough sweets help).

Blu Sun 28-Feb-16 10:27:22

It will be disposable barbecues next.

People are do inconsiderate.

MardyBra Sun 28-Feb-16 10:32:01

Yanbu.

And anyone singing along should be shot.

JosephBrodsky Sun 28-Feb-16 10:52:51

Celery?? Hummus and crisps? Jesus. They'll be hauling a microwave in next and heating up ready meals. Waitrose ones, obvs.

Actually they then had a fullscale picnic at the interval, complete with M and S pasta salad, plastic knives and forks, and individual screw cap bottles of wine. The crisps and fucking celery in Act 1 were clearly the starter! All consumed with an air of great budget-conscious self-righteousness directed at people going out for interval drinks for harmlessly eating an icecream, who were clearly frivolous spendthrifts.

DrFoxtrot Sun 28-Feb-16 11:41:47

YANBU it happens so frequently that there must be someone on MN who eats these things at the theatre. Anyone out there to explain?! It baffles me. Does it not annoy them when others do it?

originalmavis Sun 28-Feb-16 11:45:01

There was a man (alone, I wonder why?) in the cinema in front of me eating a family pack of Kettle crisps, then another. He was [ ] < this close to getting my bag across the back of his head.

lorelei9 Sun 28-Feb-16 11:51:18

Doctor, I think ha,f the problem is that most people dint care.

I'd like for food to be banned on the Tube as well as theatre and cinema. Don't do latter very much but wonder why people need to eat 24/7?

Had a woman eat sushi, or try to, at the cinema once - it was a special screening and the venue told her to stop - and I also encountered a sushi eater on a rush hour bus.

If they're going to ban noisy or smelly food, they just need to ban food otherwise how would they police it?

I remember a MN poster saying she's the one who talks through the film and "can't help it".

dreame Tue 01-Mar-16 09:23:57

Joseph that's the point at which the people sitting behind them are obligated to kick their seat (or nudge with knee for noise purposes) for the remainder of the performance!!

That's of course if their extravagant ice cream doesn't 'fall off' it's extravagant cone on the back of their budget conscious neck. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now