to think Domino's charity box is a great idea?

(21 Posts)
FedoraTheExplora Sat 27-Feb-16 20:39:16

Just ordered a pizza and when I went to pay, it asked me if I wanted to round my payment to the nearest pound so the 32p or whatever goes to charity.

Millions could be raised worldwide; I think more people would than wouldn't donate - seeing as its only a few pence every time you make a transaction, but on a large scale, it could make a massive difference.

So AIBU to think this is a great idea, and all online outlets should follow suit? Do you think you would regularly allow them to round up the transaction and donate if it was taken up on the websites you shop at? It's the modern day version of chucking your change in the charity pot next to the till I suppose!

acasualobserver Sat 27-Feb-16 20:43:44

I think if every shop or business asked, I might start to get a bit narked.

SweetieDrops Sat 27-Feb-16 20:46:59

My last workplace had an opt in to donate the pennies from your paychecks to charity every month, it was a big company so a good idea because I think most employees did it.

TheSpottedZebra Sat 27-Feb-16 20:49:27

Do Domino's match what is donated?
Otherwise, they're just asking other people to cough up, and the multi-million pound business is doing nothing.

usual Sat 27-Feb-16 20:50:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FedoraTheExplora Sat 27-Feb-16 20:55:30

*Do Domino's match what is donated?
Otherwise, they're just asking other people to cough up, and the multi-million pound business is doing nothing.*

I don't think so. Is a bit cheeky now you mention it!

That's a good idea usual. Do you save a lot without realising?

CantChoose Sat 27-Feb-16 20:59:21

I had the same account as usual and I gave mine to a charity. It builds up surprisingly quickly!

AtSea1979 Sat 27-Feb-16 21:03:22

I don't like the idea at all. I get annoyed when companies try to tell you who to donate to. I have a handful of charities close to my heart and don't like being pressured to donate to others. I'd get annoyed at being asked every time.

usual Sat 27-Feb-16 21:04:41

Vintage45 Sat 27-Feb-16 21:05:39

No. I give what I want to whatever charity I want.

RabbitSaysWoof Sat 27-Feb-16 21:07:03

It would bug me.

JenEric Sat 27-Feb-16 21:09:09

The entertainer do it. It just asks you on the card machine. The 2 branches near us do it for alder hay but we are in that area do no idea if others are different.

It doesn't bother me but I think it probably would if it was every store all the time.

BumpAndGrind Sat 27-Feb-16 21:10:23

I wouldn't do it, not after spending £16 on a pizza.

FedoraTheExplora Sat 27-Feb-16 21:14:51

Really? I guess I am BU then. I understand that some people are in the position to set up a DD and donate regularly to a charity of their choice every month - I guess that's the ideal. Unfortunately, some months I'm not, so am a bit wary about setting up a DD to mind, or shelter etc. but if I'm having a takeaway or purchasing something online then I can usually spare a few pennies so I appreciate being able to do this in a quick and easy way. Guess it's just me though grin

Oswin Sat 27-Feb-16 21:19:56

Who's that with usual, I'm trying to save but I'm really crap and that could help.

AveEldon Sat 27-Feb-16 21:20:06

I'm not a fan. I prefer to gift aid my donations

usual Sat 27-Feb-16 21:22:05

Lanark2 Sat 27-Feb-16 21:26:11

What?! When a daytime pizza costs £2 but the evening ones a tenner I'm not sure it's customers that should be paying.. Why don't they just pay their tax instead of getting us to pay their tax break charity payments??

BumpAndGrind Sat 27-Feb-16 21:32:24

I have the same thing as usual but with lloyds.

Noeuf Sat 27-Feb-16 21:37:48

No, I like to choose a charity, rather than donate randomly ' to charity'

Vintage45 Sat 27-Feb-16 21:43:47

I give to two charities on a monthly basis and have done for the last 20 odd years.

I give to Great Ormond Street and the NSPCC.

This almost "high sell" attitude get right up my arse and I tell them that too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now