Talk

Advanced search

AIBU for having a glass of wine while my DD is in bed?

(104 Posts)
NeedSomePeaceAndQuite Sat 27-Feb-16 20:25:52

I have a 3YO DD, she has been an absolute nightmare handful today. It's been a long day from hell and now she's in bed in having a glass of wine on my second I feel absolutely fine and not drunk. I've just spoken to my mum on the phone who knew DD wasn't been well behaved today and mentioned I was having a glass of wine and according to her this is outrageous, what if DD is ill and I need to driver her to the hospital ect..

1) I have no intention of getting drunk so I can't care for her and if she did need to go the hospital I could get a taxi and still be perfectly fit to care for her

AIBU?

RubbleBubble00 Sat 27-Feb-16 20:27:43

lol I imagine there are several (million) mums having a glass or two tonight, including me!

Mummamayhem Sat 27-Feb-16 20:27:46

Nope. You're absolutely fine. (I say as I pour my second glass)

AnkhMorporkmum Sat 27-Feb-16 20:28:03

I think YWBU not to have a glass of wine (or two) wine enjoy!

woodcabernet Sat 27-Feb-16 20:28:19

Oh please.

edwinbear Sat 27-Feb-16 20:28:31

YADNBU. Enjoy!

Gothgirl78 Sat 27-Feb-16 20:28:33

Ffs. It's fine drink away.

Chchchchangeabout Sat 27-Feb-16 20:28:33

wine cheers

PuntasticUsername Sat 27-Feb-16 20:28:40

Of course YANBU. Have one for me! wine

CauliflowerBalti Sat 27-Feb-16 20:28:43

My Mum always says this too. I'm in two minds about it. Because she's fine with us getting a babysitter and going out for dinner and drinks then coming home and relieving the sitter - too drunk to drive, albeit never too drunk to function/respond to an emergency. Only a fool risks a hangover with a child... I can't see the difference.

I don't think you are BU. I do the same. But we would bloody kick ourselves waiting for that taxi if the worst did happen.

NeedSomePeaceAndQuite Sat 27-Feb-16 20:31:03

I didn't think IWBU but she made a right dance of it for some reason. It's not often that I drink whilst I have DD but I'm her only parent so I have her 100% and didn't think nothing of having a couple of glasses.

Thank you thanks

moanwhingemoan Sat 27-Feb-16 20:31:15

If the worst happened and your/my child was seriously ill it would be a 999 job anyhow. Enjoy your wine!

Lndnmummy Sat 27-Feb-16 20:31:50

I am nearly ay the end of second glass op if that makes you feel better?

carben Sat 27-Feb-16 20:32:31

But with that logic you'd never drink again until your last child left home. Bugger that.

Vintage45 Sat 27-Feb-16 20:32:32

DS's are older now but I always had a few now and again when they were younger, we used to call it "Mummys little helper" in my day. Enjoy!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 27-Feb-16 20:32:53

Yanbu, it sounds perfect.

usual Sat 27-Feb-16 20:33:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KaraokeQueenOfTheNorth Sat 27-Feb-16 20:33:30

I'm debating opening a bottle but I generally don't like drinking alone - DH is away so I am not sure of it is a good idea. I am not feeling like I need it (I love it when DH is away and we have had an awesome day, me and the kids) but I do enjoy a Saturday night vino, I like to set the weekend apart from the other nights of the week! But, flying solo, should I?

Maybe just a small one... smile

DoBananasWearPajamas Sat 27-Feb-16 20:33:41

If it's bad enough to get her to hospital you can call an ambulance/taxi for her
Have a drink

lulucappuccino Sat 27-Feb-16 20:34:11

I can't drive (epileptic). Does this mean I can drink? wink

MrsJayy Sat 27-Feb-16 20:35:07

Enjoy your wine for goddness sake did your mum never have a drink when you were a child I am sure if your Dd is ill you would cope life is to short for what ifs

BathshebaDarkstone Sat 27-Feb-16 20:35:13

I'd be having beer if it wouldn't make me feel sick or give me a headache, stupid fucking cold. envy

NeedSomePeaceAndQuite Sat 27-Feb-16 20:35:57

vintage I love mummy's littler help grin

karaoke oh you should

Wardrobespierre Sat 27-Feb-16 20:36:22

Disgusting?

Ridiculous.

It's discusting

NeedSomePeaceAndQuite Sat 27-Feb-16 20:37:24

MrsJay I remember my mum drinking heavily when I was young including Christmas morning when I spent half hour waking her up to remind her it was Christmas then hid upstairs whilst she wrapped my presents and I pretending to be surprised so I'm not sure why she was on such a moral high ground

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now