Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why we still shut all the shops at5.30?

(156 Posts)
Lanark2 Sat 27-Feb-16 19:31:55

I work all week, often sleep in at the weekend, and get my shopping mojo at about 5 on a Saturday, but then all the shops shut..why? I have so many clothes and home items from supermarkets as a result.

How have we resisted a continental pattern, when we have the darkest evenings??

Oysterbabe Sat 27-Feb-16 19:34:57

A lot here shut at 8 and the big shopping centre just outside town at 9.
But in general yanbu.

Artandco Sat 27-Feb-16 19:35:06

They don't in London. 10pm in some places 8/9pm in most

Milkycuddles Sat 27-Feb-16 19:35:19

Because the people who work in shops need a break too

MishMooshAndMogwai Sat 27-Feb-16 19:35:39

Some places tend to shut at 8, particularly in cities and bigger industrial estates I've found. However that's no use to me as I live in the sticks and everywhere shuts between 5 and 6.30. Rubbish. I've resorted to Internet shopping for 90% of stuff but miss a wander round the shops.

Maybe you'll just have to bite the bullet and go on a Saturday?

EustaceTheDragon Sat 27-Feb-16 19:35:41

I really don't understand it. If everything just stayed open until 9pm, there would be more jobs available for teenagers, weekend shopping wouldn't be so manic, and I would imagine people would actually spend more.

Wouldn't it be lovely to put the dc in bed, and then go dress shopping? Fab.

Vintage45 Sat 27-Feb-16 19:38:08

Yes there would be more jobs that pay no more for opening normal working hours than working evening and weekends. Bad idea unless unsociable pay comes into it.

BlueMoonRising Sat 27-Feb-16 19:38:52

Because shop staff need time off too

'We have the darkest evenings' Compared to who? Mediterranean Europe? Only between the autumn and spring equinox.

EustaceTheDragon Sat 27-Feb-16 19:39:03

Unsociable pay? Until 9pm? I scoff at the notion.

kali110 Sat 27-Feb-16 19:39:12

Because retail staff have lives too? When stores make their hours longer, staff often don't get a choice about changing their hours

JuxtapositionRecords Sat 27-Feb-16 19:39:52

I'm prepared to be flamed but I wish Sunday trading hours would be extended.

RoseDeWittBukater Sat 27-Feb-16 19:40:10

So people can go home?! Shops open late enough ffs

Pippidoeswhatshewants Sat 27-Feb-16 19:40:24

Which continent are you thinking about, OP? Shops here are open much longer than shops in most of Europe.
I actually prefer shops to be closed on Sundays - forces you to relax and spend time outdoors, with your family. donning flame proof suit now

Katenka Sat 27-Feb-16 19:41:19

Where we live only small independent shops shut before 8/9pm.

Supermarkets are 24 hours and close at 10pm Saturday night and open Sunday morning.

Vintage45 Sat 27-Feb-16 19:41:30

After a normal working day of 9-5 for instance. People should be paid time and a half for double for a Sunday. This doesn't happen and is disgusting so until this is the case then absolutely not!

Vintage45 Sat 27-Feb-16 19:41:50

or not for of course.

thecatfromjapan Sat 27-Feb-16 19:42:16

You could have more workers, not just the same workers, workings get hours- so it's not just about workers needing a break.

Shops stay open late in London. I'm guessing that it's not worthwhile for the income it would generate in your area, Lanark.

Sparklingbrook Sat 27-Feb-16 19:42:27

Everyone goes to Wetherspoons?

thecatfromjapan Sat 27-Feb-16 19:43:31

smile
I liked that thread. It was like 'Eleanor Rigby' by the Beatles.

EustaceTheDragon Sat 27-Feb-16 19:43:32

I'm not suggesting someone should work 9am - 9pm. I'm mostly referring to shift work. The full timers can go off home at 5pm, leaving the evening shift from 5pm-9pm to part time staff such as SAHM and teenagers. I grew up in America and this was very, very common in most retail outlets. It worked well; I was able to have a job that didn't impact homework or social life.

Littleallovertheshop Sat 27-Feb-16 19:43:56

Sunday trading hours in England are crazy. I'm Scottish and I guess our own craziness is no off sales after 10pm.

Up here we have plenty of out of town places open till 9 or 10 plus city centre about 7. It's fine, handy for an after work mooch

saltlakecity Sat 27-Feb-16 19:45:13

I agree with you op. I think a lot of places could do with longer hours: shops, garages, hair dressers etc. At least a couple of nights a week anyway.

newyearnewnametoday Sat 27-Feb-16 19:46:32

No one is suggesting current retail staff should have to work longer hours, later opening would create new jobs.

Lockheart Sat 27-Feb-16 19:46:33

My tiny rural co-op shuts at 8, a full three hours after most people finish work. If you want to shop at 2am there's always the wonders of the internet.

thecatfromjapan Sat 27-Feb-16 19:47:44

I tell the children about the olden days of my childhood , when shops shut at 5.30 and pretty much everything shut on a Sunday. They are wide-eyed with amazed horror.
When we visit the grandparents in the country, I love the quiet enclosing of the deep, untroubled night and they are, I suspect, faintly terrified.
But the opening on shops into the night is one of the great joys of my old age in the capital. OP is right - it is very convenient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now