Talk

Advanced search

To want a nose job?

(19 Posts)
Notting Sat 27-Feb-16 15:19:20

Posting here for traffic and also because I feel a little unreasonable wanting to "change me".

I really really don't like my nose. I never have ever since the young age of 12 when i was bullied non stop for it, it's inherited from my mother and her father and I've never liked it. I look at others with big noses and feel sorry for them (horrid of me I know, I just hate mine and don't find large noses attractive).

I scrutinise every photo of myself from the side: I like what I look like mostly from the front (although I'm not super confident) it's straight but very much a large Roman nose, some angles I dislike front view also.
I notice it in all photos people take of me "off guard". Also in sport from a young age I've only ever noticed my nose: the photo may be brilliant otherwise but: the nose!! I am very petite and small features otherwise and some have suggested my nose looks out of place. People have commented on whether I'm Jewish (recently I'm in my mid 20's) which hurts so much. I'm sure you all get the point, I detest it and have done for a long time (I'm almost in my late twenties)

Online dating bothers me in the sense I feel my front profile doesn't show my nose and I worry the first thing they'll notice is it. Ridiculous and yes people should love you for who you are but it effects me in that way too. I will choose to sit opposite people in the hope they don't see my nose from the side.

What worries me is I will hate any wedding photos of myself side profile, any photos of myself with my kids (I already delete beautiful photos of myself with friends children where I don't like my nose).

I feel it's a massive waste of money but I have saved enough for it, although need to investigate how much it is (London or uk based) I earn enough that I'll be able to slowly save again.

Basically have you had one or known someone who's had one? My close close friends say that actually just go for it if it will make me happy, even my parents have come round to the idea, I'm very sensible with money and also level headed but there is the "what if I don't like it, am I being wasteful of money". Counselling to make me "love myself for who I am" isn't going to help as however happy I am in life I still massively dislike it.

So yes have you had one and if so has it changed you?

Also how long would I need off work, I'm in a very active job and not office based. My main thing is I'd like to go back to work without everyone knowing I've had one due to bruising and bandages.

Thank you.

saura Sat 27-Feb-16 15:23:39

I had one 10 years ago. It was easy and simple.

I didn't like the massive lump I had at the top. I had a great surgeon who understood that I wanted it to be natural looking. I have no regrets and it has given me a lot more confidence.

Alliwanttodoissleep Sat 27-Feb-16 15:32:57

I've had one done last year and I would say go for it. I always hated my nose and hated pictures being taken of me and my self esteem was unbelievably low - I constantly compared myself to my friends and other people. Now I am so different. I used to hate looking in the mirror as it was all I saw so rarely wore make up as it felt like a waste of time. Now I love doing my make up and making an effort and I can look in the mirror without feeling down!!! My boyfriend, friends and parents have all commented on how much happier I am.

I was off work for 3 weeks in total with my septorhinoplasty. Any other questions fire away :-)

CointreauVersial Sat 27-Feb-16 15:38:41

Do it!!

I had one at 22, and it was the best thing I ever did - my confidence grew by 500%. Of course it won't make you a better person or change your life, but you will feel so much happier about your appearance.My pre-nose-job was just big and blobby, and looked awful from all angles. My new nose is just....normal. I remember taking the "beak" off and looking in the mirror and just smiling and smiling - despite the swelling it was immediately clear how good it looked. I felt so much more attractive.

It's an easy op, with a high success rate. I somehow managed to get the op on the NHS (friendly GP referred me) although I was on a waiting list for nearly three years. Fortunately, it was scheduled during the university Easter holidays, so I was able to hide at DM's for a couple of weeks while it healed up. You'll feel like you've been punched in the face for the first few days. The bandages come off after 7-10 days but you will have spectacular bruising for 3 weeks or so - I bought some high-coverage concealer and most people didn't notice a thing. You would need at least a week off work, I would say.

Good luck!

SingingSands Sat 27-Feb-16 15:43:53

I say go for it. I've considered it in the past but never gotten around to doing anything about it as kids, work and life take over. If I could take 4 weeks off from work and do it then I probably would.
You also don't have to justify it to anyone.

stayathomegardener Sat 27-Feb-16 15:49:28

Go for it.
I had mine done around 25 years ago, it got broken but wasn't great before that. It bothered me but not hugely.
Biggest difference, I never think about my nose, it's just there doing it's thing. Photos are a doddle now too, no quickly trying to face front.
Anyone asks just tell them, why not. I went back to work with black eyes.

scrumptiouscrumpets Sat 27-Feb-16 15:50:19

I have a friend who had a nose job done, however, she had a normal nose which is why I am always skeptical when someone says they hate their nose. Sometimes, it's all in the head. Before you consider getting it done, I'd talk to a counselor about your self-esteem. A plastic surgeon is definitely the worst person to ask if an operation is really necessary!
As for the operation itself, it was straightforward and my friend had no problems recovering. However, it didn't solve her self-esteem issues and she has since has another nose job and a boob job.

Also, a nose job does change your face enough for people to notice, so your colleagues at work will definitely know.

stayathomegardener Sat 27-Feb-16 15:50:58

Yes re recovery, I went home the same day and rested for about a week.
Don't remember it being a problem.

CointreauVersial Sat 27-Feb-16 16:35:35

Scrumptious - funnily enough, hardly any of my friends noticed. I had a new haircut at the same time, and several people looked at me strangely, and said "that haircut makes you look so different", but very few actually identified the new nose.

LifeofI Sat 27-Feb-16 17:53:56

Op no its not a waste of money if you really want it.
I had a nose job in November with Dr De Silva, he is expensive but he is great at his work, my nose looks very natural and aftercare is good.
My nose is still hard and swollen but i like the shape and it goes down in time. I had a difficult nose due to being ethnic but he did a really good job. I recommend him.
If you need any more info you can message me, I left a review on real self. Have a look on there for doctors.

LifeofI Sat 27-Feb-16 17:55:50

oh and nobody even noticed i had a nose job.
The key is picking the right surgeon, dont buy cheap when it comes to your nose espcially if you are ethnic as you will have thicker skin and it will be harder to operate on.

Vintage45 Sat 27-Feb-16 18:06:53

I had a rather large nose and lost count of the amount of people that used to liken me to Barbara Streisand (shame I can't sing though). I was very self conscious of it and would never ever allow anyone to take a profile picture etc. The list goes on and on and on regarding my insecurities over it so I won't bore you with any more.

The last straw was some guy telling me that I was really good looking in spite of my nose!

I had rhinoplasty about 10 years ago and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I now have just a nose and don't think twice about it, all my insecurities regarding this were taken away that day.

I also took out a loan. Well worth every penny.

TENDTOprocrastinate Sat 27-Feb-16 18:14:06

I must admit; I'd like to have a nose job.
How much do they cost approx?

Vintage45 Sat 27-Feb-16 18:18:57

I paid £3,000 for mine but went directly to The Welbeck Hospital as they cut out the middle man due to having operating theatres on site. This was 10 years ago now though.

Branleuse Sat 27-Feb-16 18:45:34

go for it. It sounds like it would make a massive difference to how you see yourself

CatsMother66 Sat 27-Feb-16 19:28:53

I never knew I had a big nose until I hit my teens and had daily hurtful bullying about it at school. As a result I was quiet and held my head down, hated meeting people or bringing attention to myself. I have small features, yet had a large Roman nose which was out of proportion to the rest of my face. Once I was sitting at the front of a bus and heard some kids at the back commenting about my nose. Leaving school, the comments continued with strangers and it was like a blow to the stomache. At the age of 26 I was shopping in the supermarket when I heard a man say to his wife "look at the nose on that girl". He was only a few feet away and a typical example of how awful people can be. Something snapped inside and I booked in to have my nose reduced. It was the best thing I ever did! I didn't do it to be beautiful, I did it to be normal. From that day on, I could walk into a room with my head up and know that people were not looking at my nose. It did change my life. It was the best thing I ever did. People are cruel and if it effects you as it did me then go for it. x

CheshireChat Sat 27-Feb-16 19:34:33

I had one done albeit it was because of a close encounter between a metal chair and my nose and it was fine. It wasn't particularly sore and if you manage to sleep off the first days it's even easier. The only thing I do remember is that the first winter afterwards my nose was quite sore. I'd go for it!

Notting Sat 27-Feb-16 20:34:59

Wow thank you for all the brilliant replies.

I think I will go for it and book a consultation, I will suck up the price and make sure I go to someone reputable. I am not ethnic as someone commented, but I do have a true roman nose.

I will need to find a good time to take time off work, I could probably get 2 weeks in a row (although to use it to do that rather than a lovely holiday does make me shudder a little).

I am actually a nanny so my main concern is scaring the children, or them head butting me, or my employers judging me having it at all. Some say they have never looked at me and thought I have a big nose, but I don't believe them and do feel conscious of it even when dressed up and feeling my best. Also I was ridiculed and bullied so much in secondary school its quite scarring: I don't give two about the other things I was bullied about, I am strong and confident but I really just simply do not like my nose!

Thank you everyone.

MadauntofA Sat 27-Feb-16 20:45:27

I have always had a Roman nose - both parents had the same but my mum had a nose job when she was younger. I have never been that happy with it, but never so unhappy that I wanted to get it done, however getting older and needing glasses have made me rethink - they keep sitting wonkily on my nose and I have to readjust so I think it makes it more obvious. However, 40 next year, and I think people will think I am weird for getting it done now - anyone had it done in their 40s or older?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now