Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wonder (I know it's trivial) when we stopped using the long form of The

(10 Posts)
wasonthelist Sat 27-Feb-16 11:33:54

Thuh EU, Thuh RAF and so on.

There's a vague rule about the long form before vowel sounds - so I'd expect "Thee EU", but it seems to have been abolished.

It's one of those little things I used to love and I didn't know I missed it until it was gone - like "an Histroric".

LindyHemming Sat 27-Feb-16 11:35:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HerBigChance Sat 27-Feb-16 12:00:19

It used to always be said before another word beginning with a vowel (elision, I think it's called) and perhaps isn't taught to younger people any more? I've definitely noticed an age divide in usage.

Yes, language evolves, but I think Thuh End, Thuh Ocean (for a small sea, ffs, different thread) sound clunky and horrid.

wasonthelist Sat 27-Feb-16 12:18:56

I think is sounds clunky, too, but then I think the indiscriminate use of uptalk makes people sound really thick (which I know is wholly unreasonable before everyone jumps on me).

HopeClearwater Sat 27-Feb-16 12:22:31

I think people have stopped using 'an' too. A umbrella. A apple. A amazing time.

Thymeout Sat 27-Feb-16 15:06:24

And sometimes whole words are now missed out. Usually prepositions. e.g. Go London, go playgroup.

I think people just speak so much more quickly these days. I practically need Google translate to understand what my teen dgd is saying.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 27-Feb-16 15:15:24

When I hear it in films it gives me the (thi smile) impression that the (thigrin) actor hasn't bothered to learn his lines properly!

LarrytheCucumber Sat 27-Feb-16 16:17:23

I have noticed it too, and think it sounds a bit childish (or childlike). Sometimes I shout at the television 'It's thee end, not th end'. I suppose we will all do it in th end. (wink) Newsreaders do it too, and they are usually quite well educated.

BreconBeBuggered Sat 27-Feb-16 16:31:40

Have not stopped.
Thee end.

PushAPushPop Sat 27-Feb-16 16:44:46

Here in South Yorkshire we don't even use t'word anymore grin

In fact, I am guilty of not even using 't' ... I say for example: "Get in car", or "I'm going in garden".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now