Talk

Advanced search

To think BT are totally shit???

(20 Posts)
DiamondStuddedFlunkie Sat 27-Feb-16 09:26:24

They were the cheapest so we went with them for tv, phone and broadband. It's only £5 a month plus line rental. What could go wrong?

The internet is constantly cutting out. We mainly watch replay tv so this cuts out, usually on a Saturday night angry.

I get shoved from one Indian call centre to another, they try to be helpful but it's just so frustrating.

I get adverts when I watch replay.

Bloody hell I wish I'd gone with Virgin and paid slightly more.

LagunaBubbles Sat 27-Feb-16 09:34:22

Yanbu. Even if they paid me I wouldn't go back. We had a huge problem a few years ago now that resulted in 6 months of stress, a 10 page complaint letter detailing everything and eventually £500 compensation. BT landline call centre was in the UK, BT Broadband was in India and they kept blaming each other for the problems. Took months for them even to get an engineer out. A manager from the UK eventually helped even though it wasn't his job, he said it was the second worse example of customer service he had ever seen, after everything we went through (which would take far too long to listgrin) I dread to think what the worst was!!

MintyChapstick Sat 27-Feb-16 09:45:11

YANBU they are shit. They also tell lies to cover their backs, when you phone and complain about somethimg they will always try and blame your computer or television or phone or whatever. Nothing is ever their fault. I know of two families who have lost their phone and broadband service (BT's fault on both instances) and have had to wait weeks for it to be sorted out. No apology, no goodwill gesture nothing.

The problem is that BT still have the monopoly in the UK. They are in charge of all the infrastructure and so can pretty much do as they like. Don't get me started on the Indian call cetres. Instead of relying on slave labour on the other aide of the world how about they set up a call centre here and start employing local people? Oh no, hang on they'd have to pay them a proper living wage woulndt they? Silly me.

Orangeanddemons Sat 27-Feb-16 09:46:29

Don't get me started😡

DiamondStuddedFlunkie Sat 27-Feb-16 09:47:29

Who are you guys with now?

Allofaflumble Sat 27-Feb-16 09:49:05

Wish there was a thank you button for that post Minty. Long story but I ended up with BT and there have been so many problems. Can't face another change!

FrogletinaBallerina Sat 27-Feb-16 09:51:10

YANBU - we moved into a new build. Prior to moving they said yep, you're showing as silver so we can supply you at your new property.

Five months of "it'll be next week" and endless phone calls later we went with Virgin - for the £15 or so extra a month it was worth it.

First world problems but five months without internet & just 3G was horrendous. BT's customer service is terrible too.

Pyjamaface Sat 27-Feb-16 09:54:34

BT are beyond shit. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to them. Broad band was forever cutting out, phone line had a permanent crackle on it so you could barely hear people. In the end my whole street did a joint complaint and it still took them a month to attempt to sort anything.
I'm with Sky now and they had to come out 3 times in 3 weeks to fix things but it's great now

Shakirasma Sat 27-Feb-16 09:57:43

I hate them. They made my elderly dad ill from the stress of dealing with them repeadedly charging him more and more money he didn't owe, monthly phone calls where they always promised to sort it out, then more charges next month and claims they had no record of previous calls or actions. I seriously thought he would have a heart attack over it.

In the end he had to get ofcom involved and they sorted it out immediately, account was cleared and apology issued. They can shove their apology where the sun don't shine!

CadenceRoastingByAnOpenFire Sat 27-Feb-16 10:05:11

Yanbu, we have had so many problems with them. The first was that we were promised a £50 sainsbury's voucher for joining, it was their promotion at the time. Never received it. Phoned the Indian call centre numerous times, they denied any knowledge of it. Emails went back and forth for months. Eventual after wasting hours and hours of our time they sent us a £25 voucher!! Better than nothing but not what we'd been promised and no apology or anything. That was just start, we've had so many issues with the tv and Internet and they're never interested angry

MintyChapstick Sat 27-Feb-16 10:07:04

We had an issue a few years ago when every single BT customer in our area (two streets) lost their broadband services for three days. Repeated calls to BT from ourselves and our neighbours was saying that nothing was wrong when it clewrly was and openreach vans had been seen digging up a road nearby...

But according to them there wasn't a problem.

Orangeanddemons Sat 27-Feb-16 10:29:23

Openreach: shit Bt by another name.

Guitargirl Sat 27-Feb-16 10:35:31

Yes, they are awful.

We had taken out unlimited calls with them but were paying a lot for broadband. So we upgraded our broadband to unlimited but what they didn't tell us was that they changed our call deal at the same time so we ended up paying a lot more for calls.

When I queried it I was told they couldn't refund me as I 'should have realised earlier'.

And they are shockingly rude over the phone.

HermioneJeanGranger Sat 27-Feb-16 10:35:49

We've never had a single issue with BT and we've been with them for over three years. When we did have a problem with our internet (we live in a flat with our phone line in a utility room with everyone else's, and a SKY engineer came to install next doors internet and cut ours instead hmm), they came out within 24 hours and fixed it within an hour of turning up.

However, we had no end of problems with TalkTalk!

BuddyC4t Sat 27-Feb-16 10:50:35

I've always been really pleased with BT. Have Phone and fibre broadband with themZ The rare occasion we've had problems have been sorted asap. Can't fault them.

PootLevato Sat 27-Feb-16 11:04:25

Sounds like there is a fault with your drop wire, ask them to send out a multi skilled fault engineer. Sounds daft but does the Internet drop when it's windy outside?

Multi skilled engineers are normally assigned within 48 working hours, I wouldn't get off the phone until they've booked one in for you. And ask for a discount on your bill, explain until you have a full working service you will not be paying full price.

Don't work for BT but one of their competitors and deal with Openreach on a daily basis, I feel your pain!

LagunaBubbles Sat 27-Feb-16 20:39:03

With Sky now, no problems. Saw on the news the other day about Openreach being put out to other providers or something. I remember once in our saga an engineer came out when we weren't expecting it but we were just so delighted to see one! Unfortunately he didn't do anything as he said he couldn't go up the telephone pole as he said he hadn't received the appropriate training to go up his ladder! I kid you not!

MakeItRain Sat 27-Feb-16 20:48:13

I never had a problem with BT. Except with the cost, which they quietly sneaked up and up until I was paying about 3x as much as other providers just for evening calls and internet. I wouldn't go back now for that reason alone. I have unlimited broadband and calls and Sky tv now for a lot less than BT ended up charging me.

JoffreyBaratheon Sat 27-Feb-16 20:58:01

I've had BT for years because we live somewhere so remote, we don't have much choice for broadband.

It's bloody awful. I barely use my old BT email address which I have had for years - because it's so slooooooooooow to load. Gmail is 100 times faster, and much more user-friendly and doesn't take hours desperately trying to inflict ads on you, that then crash it... It's totally unusable for anything professional.

Also, being reote and not yet having fibreoptic cables laid in, our internet by last xmas was slower than my dial-up in 1998. Seriously slower. Awful. We kept calling them out, and probably had about the fifth engineer (all of them denied there was a fault or problem) until we finally had one competent enough to find the fault that BT had insisted was imaginary. Took him 5 minutes. I think that repair (something in the junction box down the road) took at least a year to happen.

Recently, they did finally lay in fibreoptic cables, before xmas. When our BT was appalling, if more than one person was online/had a phone on.

Still, nothing improved.

Clearly they ballsed up as a couple o weeks ago, there were BT vans digging up the road again (I think they had put in the cables then wandered of, forgetting to connect it all up or not bothered to check it and find the fault). And then, a day or two after... it worked. Finally, I have internet that is about as good as my internet was.... ten years ago.

They gave us that crap Home Hub 4 when it was just out. It's crap. They won't send us a new one, though.

ForalltheSaints Sat 27-Feb-16 21:53:26

YANBU

Their treatment if you deal with them as a company is just as bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now