to kick the next person who tells me to "educate myself" in the rude bits?

(54 Posts)
FithColumnist Fri 26-Feb-16 20:16:52

In my opinion it is such a bloody patronising, condescending, virtue-signalling phrase. It makes my blood boil.

(Or AIBVU and need to go and educate myself?)

hesterton Fri 26-Feb-16 20:18:01

I have no idea what you mean.

hesterton Fri 26-Feb-16 20:18:58

Oh hang on maybe I do. Misread title. Sorry. I thought it was about educating yourself about the rude bits. blush

ProcrastinatorGeneral Fri 26-Feb-16 20:19:49

its a rude statement, but it really depends on the circumstances. A lot of us could do to learn more about the bollocks we spout. It's just a case of phrasing it a little more politely grin

AdrenalineFudge Fri 26-Feb-16 20:19:53

I'd much rather you called it anything other than 'rude bits' tbh.

RedMapleLeaf Fri 26-Feb-16 20:19:53

You need to educate yourself in the rude bits? I don't get it.

RedMapleLeaf Fri 26-Feb-16 20:20:43

Oh, I get it now. I thought you meant that people were telling you that you needed sex education.

Or something.

HoneyDragon Fri 26-Feb-16 20:20:51

It entirely depends on what you've said to warrant such a response.

isseywithcats Fri 26-Feb-16 20:22:10

it depends on the context of whoever is saying it, there are free courses at university level on line coursera are very interesting and keep the grey matter occupied, if you have sa8id something ignorant and someone has said educate yourself then some research would make you educated, and knowledge is power i left school with 4 gces in an era when girls didnt go to uni and no grants then and with a mom who was a widow, but when i got to 40 i went and did a combined arts degree to prove i could do it and being as i was working two jobs i paid for it too

nephrofox Fri 26-Feb-16 20:22:17

Depends. If you're moaning about being skint and having a shit job because you're not qualified for anything, it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion

SquidgeyMidgey Fri 26-Feb-16 20:22:24

With regard to what? If you're spouting sexist, racist twaddle then maybe you do need to educate yourself. What's it about?

CooPie10 Fri 26-Feb-16 20:23:31

Depends, it may apply to you or not? In what context was this said to you?

RudeElf Fri 26-Feb-16 20:25:55

Context would be good.

elQuintoConyo Fri 26-Feb-16 20:29:22

I'm lost.

Educate yourself in the rude bits? Have you heard that story about the bird sand the bees?

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 26-Feb-16 20:30:49

Depends on the context. If you're commenting on things you don't understand in a way that makes you sound 'knowledgeable', if you're making totally uneducated, inappropriate comments, then yabu.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedpixie Fri 26-Feb-16 20:33:11

She's going to kick someone in the rude bits if they tell her to "educate herself" again

We need context

redexpat Fri 26-Feb-16 20:33:15

I did say it once on MN. A poster started a thread about the EU saying she admired countries like Sweden who weren't in the EU. I really wasnt prepared to have a discussion with someone who didnt know the basics such as which countries are in the EU.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Fri 26-Feb-16 20:39:05

Educate yourself into realising you need to provide context for anyone to have a clue what you're rabbiting on about!

daisygreendaisylilac Fri 26-Feb-16 20:40:23

Fox, you do know not everyone can educate themselves?

hmcAsWas Fri 26-Feb-16 20:43:28

Well you could probably 'educate yourself' re syntax. Your thread title had a number of us guessing for a while wink grin (runs and hides)

MadamDeathstare Fri 26-Feb-16 20:52:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Caprinihahahaha Fri 26-Feb-16 20:54:46

I don't want to know anymore than I already do about rude bits. I'm fully informed .

SilverBirchWithout Fri 26-Feb-16 20:58:36

Don't kick me, but some education on effective sentence structure and punctuation might be useful? grin

VestalVirgin Fri 26-Feb-16 21:00:31

With regard to what? If you're spouting sexist, racist twaddle then maybe you do need to educate yourself. What's it about?

Yes, that's about the only occasion where I tell people to educate themselves - when they are spouting ignorant nonsense about feminism, or are outright sexist or racist.

I'd sure not tell it to people who aren't educated enough to be an interesting conversation partner for me, or whatever. That'd be rude.

And people who lack education and therefore cannot get good jobs ... well, they usually know that getting an university degree would be good, and can't do that for whatever reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now