Talk

Advanced search

AIBU regarding the meat industry

(9 Posts)
kerstina Fri 26-Feb-16 20:05:34

I have been a vegetarian since about 14 always cared deeply about animals but the older I get the more angry I feel at the way the human race uses animals and kills them . I think being friends with other vegans on facebook
Means I am reminded daily of the horrors that go on .
After hearing all the critism of Kerry Mcarthy becoming the shadow DEFRA minister because she is vegan I felt compelled to join the animal welfare party if the Labour Party do not have the backing to push the animal welfare agenda more . It is really cheap to join ,it cost a few pounds for a years membership. If you feel the same way as me please join and please inbox me if you have any other ideas how I can get more involved with other like minded people .

Andrewofgg Fri 26-Feb-16 20:29:32

Link to its policies?

Scrowy Fri 26-Feb-16 20:35:18

I would like to know more about what you feel are the horrors in the UK meat industry

Andrewofgg Fri 26-Feb-16 20:35:22

Found it. Their manifesto for the last general election says at one point that all animal products must be marked to show whether or not the animal was stunned before slaughter and at another, surprise, surprise, that slaughter without stunning must be forbidden and we are not even to import such meat. I wonder which they mean?

More generally they seem to have no ideas which don't concern animals.

kerstina Fri 26-Feb-16 20:56:56

I suppose the images that I see don't necessarily come from the Uk I am mainly talking about factory farming on an industrial scale . Animals that don't have good lives and even if they do I still just feel so much sadness when a Lorry full of sheep passes me and I know they are route to the abattoir .
I see your point about other policies Andrew but the whole point of the party is to push for animal rights . A lot of people claim to love animals but support animals being killed . I just think people should think about their choices more . There will always be people who don't care of course .

Scrowy Fri 26-Feb-16 21:09:15

Go to an open farm Sunday OP and make your own mind up about farming in the uk rather than relying on what you read/see on the internet

www.farmsunday.org/ofs12b/home.eb

NotCitrus Fri 26-Feb-16 21:20:36

A lot of tear-jerking images of animals on the internet are faked or out of context (there's some that are frequently used in campaigns against animal experimentation where none are from the UK and all at least 20 years out of date, ie showing now-obsolete or now-illegal acts).

UK farm animal welfare is pretty good now - though there's always a few places where a farmer is struggling to cope and this can lead to suffering just like with children or pets. Lobbying the current government to support arable farmers and farmers who farm on a small scale might be a more productive way to make a difference in the way you wish.

VoldysGoneMouldy Fri 26-Feb-16 21:43:49

"I see your point about other policies Andrew but the whole point of the party is to push for animal rights ." - and as such they are completely redundant as a political party.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 26-Feb-16 21:47:25

OP, this is not a good site to push your agenda. Adults realise that pushing your views on other people rarely, if ever, works - in fact it may well have the opposite effect to that you intend.

Also be aware that much of the anti meat industry propaganda is either out of date or not applicable to the EU. Repeating these things may make you look foolish and undermine your argument.

I say this as a vegan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now