Talk

Advanced search

To ask why this womankeeps appearing on my FB friends suggestion list when we have no friends in common?

(37 Posts)
Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:09:56

I know there are all the conspiracy theories about people who appear on friends suggestion lists etc, but, seriously, why does this woman, B, who has no friends in common with me, who I've never looked up etc, who is not a contact in my email address book etc, etc...Why has she been within the first 5 friend suggestions on facebook over the last year? confused

Hygge Thu 25-Feb-16 21:12:09

Maybe she searched someone with your name and checked to see if you were that person?

DustyCropHopper Thu 25-Feb-16 21:12:50

Do you use a mobile phone to go on Facebook and if so do you have her phone number in it?

Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:21:30

I've never met/heard of her before she kept popping up on my friends suggestion list. She's in the top 5, in front of people who have 10+ mutual friends. No link to me at all, and not in my contacts list, not in my emails etc. She also works in an industry workplace I've had nothing to do with (this info is with her pic in the friends suggestion list)

Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:26:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StandoutMop Thu 25-Feb-16 21:28:29

Dunno, presumably same reason FB went through a phase of suggesting I might know David Gandy - we def have no friends in common sadly.

Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:35:37

So....anyone know how to stop her coming up? Do they have a "only suggest people who you actually might know" filter? grin

Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:36:22

Off to google David Gandy...

Walkacrossthesand Thu 25-Feb-16 21:44:23

If you've looked at her page to see who she is because she was on your PYMK because (perhaps) she looked at your page when she was for some reason searching your (rare but not unique) name, I think FB will now keep showing you her for a while because you visited her page...Someone I know also wonders if FB collects info about where you go if you have location services on, and may link people who unknowingly go to the same places .... Does my head in, frankly!

Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:45:20

StandoutMop Oh my! (fans self) blush So, did you try to friend him?

TattyDevine Thu 25-Feb-16 21:45:37

You can remove people from your people you might know list. Just click on the x.

StealthPolarBear Thu 25-Feb-16 21:48:07

Does anyone have any idea how I'd have accidentally sent a friend request? I seem to have become frinds with someone I don't know at all. I suspect he's a friend of my uncle. I got an email one day saying "x has accepted your friend request". I certainly hadn't intentionally sent one but it'd be hard to do by accident surely?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 25-Feb-16 21:48:26

Does she live near you?
Like the same posts or pages or same categories if posts and page?
Work with you?
Friend of a friend?
Visit same shops as you?
Check in to same place at same time?

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 25-Feb-16 21:48:48

I keep getting people suggested that are part of a group I'm on and a lot from a group I'm no longer a member of too.
I do think there is something in love cation services too and particularly check ins places.

Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:48:54

Walk Ok, that could be it we may have visited the same places. Mind you we now live in very different places, so hopefully she'll fall off the list soon.

StealthPolarBear Thu 25-Feb-16 21:49:28

And now we're friends I don't want to insult him by deleting him! Sure he wouldn't care but you never know

Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:51:58

Tatty Thanks for the tip!

Youmake Hmm, yes, maybe we've been on the same localish FB group. Would have been over a year ago now, though.

Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:53:26

Stealthpolarbear Oops, awkward. I wonder if he feels the same way though? Maybe he only accepted out of politeness?

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 25-Feb-16 21:54:02

Well the suggestions I keep getting I never got when I was a member of this group. Left it months ago and just this last couple of weeks they have been popping up. Baffling.

StealthPolarBear Thu 25-Feb-16 21:55:44

Yes probably! That said I think he runs a pub, so he probably has a lot of friends as part of that.
I should just delete hin shouldn't I? He won't notice and if he does he won't care.

ManneryTowers Thu 25-Feb-16 21:56:52

Maybe it's someone you know in real life using a fake profile to stalk you and your friends? This happened to me (a woman who was stalking DH) and was one of the reasons we both came off FB

Fidelia Thu 25-Feb-16 21:58:42

Stealthpolarbear Mind you I unfriended someone recently, thinking they wouldn't notice/weren't interested in my life and they sent a friend request. In their case it was quite nice, though

usual Thu 25-Feb-16 21:58:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WonderingAspie Thu 25-Feb-16 21:59:15

Do we know if you appear on people's list if you have stalked looked them up? It seems to be very disagreed on about this. I've been looking up the teachers at school and would be mortified if I came up on their suggested list as apart from 1, none of us have friends in common!

Whatamuckingfuddle Thu 25-Feb-16 22:01:46

Erm, if they've looked at your profile it comes up as a suggestion. A couple of people have done it to me and really confused me. Which is great news because I'm fairly sure my exs new dp will know I've been stalking her profile for the past year or so as we have no mutual friends blush I nearly deleted Facebook when I realised

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now