Talk

Advanced search

Tell letting agency to back off - or suck it up?

(12 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Thu 25-Feb-16 18:20:37

My DH and I have been renting a flat for 13 months. During this time, the agency has made 4 inspections on the property - the first of which was when we'd only been here a month. I assumed with the first one it was just to check tenants weren't running a cannabis farm or something, so was surprised when they continued to do these inspections so regularly. Obviously it's not a real issue but it does make us feel slightly like kids being told to tidy their bedrooms! Slightly invasive... so today after the inspection the agency emailed and said the landlady would like to thank us for keeping her property in such good condition. Part of me thinks that's quite nice, part of me thinks it's patronising, and part of me thinks I'd like to say to them 'Great - does that mean we can be trusted a bit more and not have you coming round so often as we feel it's a bit invasive and distrusting of us' (but in politer words)! Would this be a bad idea? Obviously don't want to fall out with them as previous tenants told us they had lots of hassle with them trying to fine them for things like nails in the wall that had been there since before they moved in - and we don't trust landlords or letting agents not to pull dirty tricks!

RidersOnTheStorm Thu 25-Feb-16 18:23:25

It's a condition of our LL insurance that the property is inspected every 3 months, maybe it's the same for your LL.

AnotherCider Thu 25-Feb-16 18:24:43

Quarterly inspections isn't unusual. The best agency we had (in terms of keeing up with mantenance) did quarterly inspections and the inspector would flag things she felt needed fixing on our behalf.

londonrach Thu 25-Feb-16 18:25:02

When renting the good ones checked every 3-6 months to help sort any problems either way. It also very normal to check first month. I used each check to ask the ea to ask the ll to fit any problems as it works both ways.

Owllady Thu 25-Feb-16 18:25:13

Mine do twice yearly, so you have to expect it. I think the first year they did 3

Owllady Thu 25-Feb-16 18:25:54

Lol well my ll doesn't sort out problems

PricklyHodgeheg Thu 25-Feb-16 18:29:33

Check your rental contract, it may give details of inspections which are going to be carried out. I expect the agency have been instructed to carry them out by the landlady.
If you can't see anything in the contract then give the agency a call and ask about it. You may be able to negotiate fewer inspections if you play your cards right smile

Peaceandloveeveryone Thu 25-Feb-16 18:30:07

I think that three months is excessive, I rent and will not use agencies who do this. Every six months is intrusive enough.

Foslady Thu 25-Feb-16 18:35:33

And hold on to that email - if you want to move it may just swing things in your favour!

OurBlanche Thu 25-Feb-16 18:39:52

I am one of the independent people who gets pad to do these interim checks and, whilst quarterly is more than I usually do, it is not wholly unreasonable. Mid term is more normal, unless the property is older and might need more tlc.

It isn't just to check on the tenant, it is supposed to be a 2-way street. The landlord gets a report on the wear and tear and any dilapidations. The tenant gets to have any defects and dilapidations formally noted. If it all happens mid term then both sides have more to work on at the end of tenancy, when there is often a bit of a rush and lots of moaning on both sides.

Take full advantage of it if you have any niggles with white goods, flooring, damp etc etc. Make it work for you if you need it to.

eddielizzard Thu 25-Feb-16 19:00:21

yes! point out every niggle. they might not come round so often grin

i wouldn't ask them to come less regularly though - you may find it has the opposite effect! just thank them.

ADishBestEatenCold Thu 25-Feb-16 19:02:33

"so today after the inspection the agency emailed and said the landlady would like to thank us for keeping her property in such good condition"

Good! Hang on to that email and encourage similar sort of feedback following future inspections. Then, if you ever move, you have records of proof to show that you used to property appropriately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now