To think pilots shouldn't be faffing around with Instagram photos while flying?

(20 Posts)
TheCamelFromSpain Thu 25-Feb-16 14:35:16

Just browsing on Instagram and there seems to be a huge trend and following for pilots who take photos of all sorts at times when I would have thought they should be focussing on flying the plane!

I get that it's an interesting job and can see why so many people follow them. But in many of the photos you can see that it's not a static Go Pro or whatever, it's clearly a selfie with the hand holding the camera. At however many thousand feet! hmm

AIBU to not understand why this is considered ok?

notonyurjellybellynelly Thu 25-Feb-16 14:39:00

Perhaps because there is generally two, and sometimes even 3 pilots in the cockpit, but not only that, the plane can do a good job of kind of flying itself so it is generally ok for one or all of them to take their hands off the controls at the same time.

And if its a wee plane with one pilot? Well, it could still be ok.

BillBrysonsBeard Thu 25-Feb-16 14:39:49

I think they use auto pilot a lot of the time so don't have hands on the controls all the time? Not sure though. Whenever I've read about crashes they say they use autopilot and it's only all hands on deck if there's turbulence or a problem etc.

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Thu 25-Feb-16 14:39:58

The co pilot is probably in control while they do that.

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 25-Feb-16 14:40:01

I thought planes were on autopilot for most of the duration of a flight. So while not ideal, not as gobsmacking as it otherwise would be.

ghostyslovesheep Thu 25-Feb-16 14:40:50

take off and landing maybe yabu but up in the air cruising along? Planes pretty much fly themselves

I'm sure of any alarms sound they would put the camera down

LoveBoursin Thu 25-Feb-16 14:42:00

Because they are on autopilot! Or they have a co-pilot doing the work whilst they relax/have a break (as you would have a break at work. A quite normal and actually necessary thing to do)

honeyroar Thu 25-Feb-16 14:42:53

Apart from take off and landing, pilots have long periods of time with little to do. The plane is on autopilot. There are two to four of them, with set duty times and rest times. The plane gives them alarms and warnings. They eat, drink, sleep, do crosswords, chat, all sorts of things. Don't worry.

TurnOffTheTv Thu 25-Feb-16 14:48:52

You do realise there is more than one pilot don't you?

TurnOffTheTv Thu 25-Feb-16 14:49:32

Actually OP will be back any second to say for a fact it's a one seater light aircraft grin

BarbaraofSeville Thu 25-Feb-16 14:56:42

A quick google brings up some amazing pictures and this article, which on skimming quickly, appears to suggest that the OP is not BU.

TheCamelFromSpain Thu 25-Feb-16 15:10:15

Yes I do realise there is more than one pilot grin but in fact the very photo that made me write this thread was a selfie of both pilots and two cabin crew. All smiling for the photo... I know it's only for a minute or two but I just don't think it's very professional.

notonyurjellybellynelly Thu 25-Feb-16 15:18:23

The aircraft was probably on autopilot.

notonyurjellybellynelly Thu 25-Feb-16 15:21:27

Im hoping this is a joke thread because I just cannot believe an OP could be so uninformed.

TheCamelFromSpain Thu 25-Feb-16 15:22:31

Read the link above, jelly smile

DameXanaduBramble Thu 25-Feb-16 15:23:38

It's not like Biggles up there you know!

Planes are flown by computer now. The crew don't have to have hands on controls all the time, they're mainly waiting for their next feed or cuppa.

positivity123 Thu 25-Feb-16 15:25:02

YABU but hilarious
I'm sure that if the trend for taking selfies resulted in planes plummeting to earth then it would be in the news

honeyroar Thu 25-Feb-16 15:28:00

Seriously, there are a million more important things you could worry about when it comes to aviation.

notonyurjellybellynelly Thu 25-Feb-16 15:33:05

Read the link above, jelly smile

I think I'd rather stick to having faith in people like my lot who are all pilots rather than scaremongering newspaper articles in the link provided.

Bumshkawahwah Thu 25-Feb-16 15:40:37

My friend's husband is a first officer and plays games on his phone for good chunks of his long-ish haul flights. There is really not a lot to do once the plane is in the air and at cruising altitude. The plane isn't going to plunge to earth just because the pilot isn't glued to the controls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now