Talk

Advanced search

To HATE it when people say "your" instead of "you're"

(107 Posts)
Twitterqueen Thu 25-Feb-16 12:58:39

I realise this should probably be in pedants' corner but I am becoming more and more irritated at so many posters misusing the word 'your'. It's lazy, it doesn't make sense and it's just wrong.

And yes, I'm in a bad mood today.

"If your going to the shops can you buy x,y,z...." NO NO NO. The word is you're! The apostrophe denotes a missing letter and an abbreviation!
You-- a--'re.

The word 'your' is possessive. So you could say "If your chauffeur is going to the shops today..." or daughter, or son.

Rant over.

Twitterqueen Thu 25-Feb-16 12:59:58

strikethrough didn't work sad
Trying again
You a 're

LineyReborn Thu 25-Feb-16 13:01:31

Are you suggesting there's a difference in pronunciation? confused

AntiquityReRises Thu 25-Feb-16 13:01:50

I hate it when people write "say" instead of write or type wink

Hygellig Thu 25-Feb-16 13:03:21

It gets on my nerves as well - it should be very easy to distinguish between them and use the correct one. I see it more on FB than MN.

Diamogs Thu 25-Feb-16 13:03:24

grin Antiquity

squoosh Thu 25-Feb-16 13:03:30

It's not lazy if people genuinely don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'. And lots of people don't.

Twitterqueen Thu 25-Feb-16 13:04:23

Ha Ha! you got me there. Yes of course I should of have written 'write' instead of 'say'
blush

Micah Thu 25-Feb-16 13:05:01

One of my friends does this. Drives me mad.

She posted something on Facebook, and my reply was "remember your hippos" (long story). Then I thought she always uses your instead of you're, and my post could be read as "remember you're hippos", which would be very rude in the context (event where she and her friends were in swimming costumes).

SauvignonBlanche Thu 25-Feb-16 13:05:36

But, verbally, there's no difference between the two. confused

SauvignonBlanche Thu 25-Feb-16 13:06:18

X post

Chocolatteaddict1 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:06:40

Op your well out of order. Folk shout be able to say write what they like. smile

squoosh Thu 25-Feb-16 13:07:27

slicedfinger Thu 25-Feb-16 13:07:29

A friend of mine does this. She is a Y6 teacher.

Quietwhenreading Thu 25-Feb-16 13:07:57

It's not laziness I don't think. It just marks people who either didn't have a great education or perhaps don't read (and therefore rarely see correct usage modelled for them).

RiverTam Thu 25-Feb-16 13:08:57

Whilst I'm as big a spelling and grammar pedant as they coming, a lot of this these days is probably autocorrect on phones and tablets, which has certainly made me more sloppy than when I mainly posted using my laptop. That and fat fingers.

liz70 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:09:05

Some people's grasp of spelling and grammar isn't great. Heck, there are millions of people in the world who can barely read or write. Bit of a small thing to get worked up about IYAM. Step away from the internet; you'll never escape poor English here. grin

Gruntfuttock Thu 25-Feb-16 13:10:37

Might as well put this little niggle here:- I was watching The Wright Stuff this meaning and Matthew Wright clearly said "of" when he meant "have". I thought he would know better.

Gruntfuttock Thu 25-Feb-16 13:11:29

Oh sod it! 'Morning' not 'meaning! ^^ blush

ADishBestEatenCold Thu 25-Feb-16 13:13:11

I hate it when people write one thing, when in fact they actually mean another. grin grin grin

liz70 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:13:20

'Matthew Wright clearly said "of" when he meant "have".'

How do you know he wasn't saying " 've"? Surely they sound much the same?

ADishBestEatenCold Thu 25-Feb-16 13:13:31

p.s. I don't really 'hate' it! smile

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Thu 25-Feb-16 13:14:10

Sauvignon I know a couple of people where you can hear a different. Your and yore are homophones, but they say you're like ewer.

liz70 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:15:53

I hate autocorrect. It's always trying to tell me what to type when I don't want to type that. I really should knobble it.

memyselfandaye Thu 25-Feb-16 13:18:00

These threads are a great way to make those that have problems with spelling and grammar feel shite and for the op to feel so clever and superior.

Just accept that not everyone has your knowledge and intellect.

Concentrate on your own game and let others worry about theirs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now