Talk

Advanced search

What do you do you with your shop receipts?

(86 Posts)
Willow33 Wed 24-Feb-16 23:49:45

I always think I need to be a lot more organised and reconcile them against my bank statement but I know how to procrastinate In reality, I don't actually end up doing anything but collecting piles of them. I once got ripped off by a big restaurant chain where they charged £60 on my bank statement more than my debit card receipt (and the cost of the meal). The restaurant would not pay up and nor did the bank. I left it on the end- something I would not do now!
Anyway the above makes me wonder if others are diligent in going through their receipts and bank statements.

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Feb-16 23:52:50

I keep them and do online banking daily. I tick them off and chuck them as they appear on the account. I only keep ones for goods that might have to be returned under guarantee.

Disclaimer-worked in a bank for a long time.

Willow33 Wed 24-Feb-16 23:56:23

Very impressive Sparkling. Do you put them in all the same place e.g by your computer when you get home ?

BackforGood Wed 24-Feb-16 23:57:07

Similar to Sparklingbrook - except I do it around about monthly, not daily.

LBOCS2 Wed 24-Feb-16 23:57:36

I stuff them into my coat pockets until they start falling out and then I throw them in the bin en masse blush

It hadn't even occurred to me I should be doing anything else with them TBH.

Willow33 Wed 24-Feb-16 23:58:30

Back - would you not end up with about 100 receipts then to go through?

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Feb-16 23:58:39

Don't laugh but I have one of those polypockets which I keep them in, so straight out of my purse into that ready for checking.

I know it's all very anal, and probably OTT. Daily probably not necessary, maybe weekly.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Thu 25-Feb-16 00:00:25

Crumple them up and shove them in my handbag or coat pocket, or refuse them...

Willow33 Thu 25-Feb-16 00:00:53

I need to do something! The restaurant chain which ripped me off said something about me finding the error six months after it happened.

Out2pasture Thu 25-Feb-16 00:01:07

I only use my bank debit card, i check my bank account online daily. I've yet to find any major mistakes (although i did have a meal at baker and spice go though twice). the bank fixed the mistake without any prompting.
so receipts may linger at the bottom of my purse a couple of days and then get shredded.

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Feb-16 00:01:34

If you don't check them to your bank statement then you really should.

MrsSeanBean Thu 25-Feb-16 00:02:30

Stage 1: float around in bottom of bag for a few days
Stage 2: get annoyed with state of bag and transfer them to top of dressing table in neat pile
Stage 3: leave for a while
Stage 4: assuming no alarmingly large amounts have been deducted, and that I am not more overdrawn than usual I will generally dispose of the pile
... And repeat...

EBearhug Thu 25-Feb-16 00:02:55

I put them in a box, and every now and then, go through them and bin the ones which won't be needed, i.e, groceries already consumed, tanks of petrol, things which won't have a longer-term guarantee. (In theory, I do this weekly; in practice it's when the box is over-flowing...)

I do go through my bank account a lot more regularly, so sometimes I have to shuffle through the top layer of receipts to check one I don't remember. This has meant a couple of times, I've called the bank or credit card company in question to query an entry. This was fraud in one case, but in another, it was something I'd bought, but the name on the credit card bill was different from the company name I'd brought it from. No wonder I was confused, but after querying it, it was something I accepted. I have since had at least one company inform me that, "it will appear on your bill as this name", which makes me suspect I am not the only person to have been confused by this sort of thing. (It was good to be warned upfront, though.)

Receipts for things like new household goods (e.g. washing machine or PC printer) are usually attached to the inside of the relevant manual, on which I'll also write the serial number. Said manual then goes in the drawer that contains that sort of thing, and I probably won't look at it until something goes wrong or I'm having a tidy-up of that drawer.

Willow33 Thu 25-Feb-16 00:04:32

MrsSB -this has been me but I need to change wink

Baconyum Thu 25-Feb-16 00:08:25

I keep the ones for things that may need returned up to a year.depending on the value of the product and any guarantee length.

At the moment holding others for a week with the intention to get my budgeting back on track but not doing it! Starting tomorrow getting it sorted and starting to keep a record of what I spend.

BackforGood Thu 25-Feb-16 00:10:42

Back - would you not end up with about 100 receipts then to go through?

No. I don't do that much shopping!
Between my debit and credit card I'll usually have
- a petrol receipt about once a fortnight.
- a supermarket one once a week (the odd top up would be paid in cash so I don't keep once I know the change was right on purchase)
- Perhaps a couple of other purchases once a fortnight or so when I go to the High Street for something
- cashpoint receipt perhaps once a fortnight

MrsSeanBean Thu 25-Feb-16 00:12:26

Good luck willow!

There's no way I'm going down Internet banking route. And paper statements only turn up once in blue moon. I rely on having a 6th sense for when my bank balance is out of kilter. I scan statements and if all looks broadly ok I'm happy. If not, I would query even if I no longer had receipt. plus, I buy a lot obligations be so have email records etc. I never delete any emails. blush

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Feb-16 00:13:42

I have about 3 receipts a day, more some days. So monthly would be too.much for me.

The other thing that's good to check is whether all the standing orders and direct debits going out are actually yours.

MrsSeanBean Thu 25-Feb-16 00:13:55

* buy a lot online..that should have said

MsMims Thu 25-Feb-16 00:15:29

I have a receipt organiser from busy bee and keep receipts for important things and clothes stored in there under each month.

Unimportant receipts like food shopping etc straight into bin.

ozymandiusking Thu 25-Feb-16 00:16:45

I put them in a plastic bag labelled with the month, And use a new bag every month. Check against bank statement regularly.

ridemesideways Thu 25-Feb-16 01:06:50

Wtf. I bin straightaway unless it's for something I might need to return. Filing? Cross-referencing? Fuck that. I check my statements and know what every transaction is...

Birdsgottafly Thu 25-Feb-16 01:23:50

I try to recycle everything I can, so I keep a cereal box (or similar) and put all my general receipts in there, even if it's dropped in the recycle bin, monthly, I could get it out.

I have a two pocket folder, that I keep 'goods' receipts in and instructions, in.

I, to, try to check my banking, daily.

cocochanel21 Thu 25-Feb-16 01:43:47

Usually they are in the bottom of my bag till I bin them.
Recently they end up in the shopping basket under dd's pram.
Don't even check my statements only the balance.
Need to get more organized.

headexplodesbodyfreezes Thu 25-Feb-16 01:52:48

Bin asap. Receipts really annoy me, why do I need a piece of paper for buying a can of coke?

I very much like that some shops are now asking if I actually want one. This is progress at long last smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now