To think my landlord and landlady should have told me about airbnb

(24 Posts)
puzzledbyadream Wed 24-Feb-16 22:37:35

I live in a funny house where my landlord and landlady live downstairs and upstairs they have 4 bedsits/studio apartments. I live in one of the bedsits. I've just heard my landlord doing what sounded a lot like a bed and breakfast spiel to somebody in the hallway and sure enough I have just found one of the bedsits on airbnb (it's also the first time I've seen one of the other bedsits, it's much nicer than mine but doesn't have a separate bedroom end ensuite as mine does but does have a double bed. Not that those are necessary details!). Now my landlord and lady did used to own a b&b but I've had absolutely no notification that one of the bedsits was being used this way. I actually had no idea the lady living in it had even moved out! It's not unreasonable to want to be told that strangers might be popping up in my hallway, is it?

eurochick Wed 24-Feb-16 22:39:15

If you have a studio rather than a room in a shared house, yabu. It is a separate property. They can do what they like with it.

DoreenLethal Wed 24-Feb-16 22:40:22

Erm, if they have 4 bedsits then id be expecting strangers to potentially be there. Unless you were expecting them to only accept your friends or family.

timeforabrewnow Wed 24-Feb-16 22:42:00

I don't think you are being unreasonable, and they should have mentioned it (before you moved in would have been good). However, there's probably not a lot you can do about it.

NotCitrus Wed 24-Feb-16 22:42:37

It's not your hallway - it's theirs. If you rent a bedsit, the rest of the building is communal space and anyone could be in it. The lady who was living there before might well have been a airbnb lodger too.

If all the bedsits have had long term residents then it would be polite to notify you that this was changing, but otherwise that's the nature of bedsits.

AStreetcarNamedBob Wed 24-Feb-16 22:43:30

Ummm it's up to them unless these guests are sharing your bed grin

Stillunexpected Wed 24-Feb-16 22:44:12

Doreen I think what the OP means it that as an Airbnb property it is likely to be a long line of strangers rather than three people whom you could meet on a daily basis and gradually get to know a bit better.

puzzledbyadream Wed 24-Feb-16 22:47:43

Thanks still, had no issue with the long term people (and tbh I am not that bothered by it being an airbnb). I just think it would be nice to have been told that such and such lady had moved out and now overnight guests would be staying. We are all in quite close quarters despite being self contained so that's the main reason I feel word should have got round.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 24-Feb-16 23:22:45

What a liberty they have taken deciding to do something perfectly legal with their own property. The absolute fuckers 😡😡🤔😉

Xmasbaby11 Wed 24-Feb-16 23:25:11

I think it would have been polite and considerate to let you know, as you say, just so you don't wonder why so many people are in and out.

usual Wed 24-Feb-16 23:26:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatdoIget Wed 24-Feb-16 23:27:49

I think if I was your landlord I would have mentioned it to you. As you say, it would have been polite, and you also might be forgiven for wondering who the fuck someone was and why they were there if you met them in the hall.

awfullyproper Wed 24-Feb-16 23:28:54

Well, are they at liberty to use their rooms in this way? I expect not. What tax are they paying?is it a B&B? Is OP's tenancy legal?

I think it would have been correct to have let you know.

usual Wed 24-Feb-16 23:30:52

ovenchips Wed 24-Feb-16 23:31:30

It would have been considerate of them to tell you, but they didn't as mustn't have thought it necessary. Unfortunately you can't make people do anything.

Now you do know, you can be prepared to meet strangers in the corridor and as you say that's not a problem for you. That's it, really then innit?smile

HortonWho Wed 24-Feb-16 23:51:18

Perhaps they didn't tell you because they rent it out between long term tenants. Ask them?

MrsJorahMormont Thu 25-Feb-16 00:03:53

It would have been very polite to tell you but they weren't under any obligation to tbh. I would have told you but they may be doing Mon-Fri or long term lets through Air BnB.

Ginkypig Thu 25-Feb-16 00:17:34

Totally off point but if you have a seperate bedroom with en suite does that not make it a 1 bed flat instead of a studio, or am I being dumb and missed somthing? blush

puzzledbyadream Thu 25-Feb-16 00:47:17

ginky usually I would agree but you can't swing a mouse in the bedroom so it's sort of inbetween. The whole place is so teeny calling it a flat is kind of pushing it. Good job I don't have a partner at the moment, I only have an armchair!

MadamDeathstare Thu 25-Feb-16 01:00:59

Ginkypig Thu 25-Feb-16 01:09:47

I see, from the sounds of it it would be better if the wall came down so even though it was all together you'd at least have more space.

Adarajames Thu 25-Feb-16 01:33:23

You can rent out rooms on airbnb for a certain number of nights per year before you have to tell he tax man and without needing to be registered as a B and B / hotel.

Some airbnb rent rooms out for longer terms, so you might have long term people staying, not just a few nights and then change again

MadamDeathstare Thu 25-Feb-16 01:34:53

Adarajames Thu 25-Feb-16 14:42:30

I do the occasional few nights when my parents are away, met some really interesting and lovely people from all over the world, means the family home isn't empty (retired parents so go away for longer periods) and I get a bit of extra income, which, as a glass artist, is always good for feeding my glass addiction grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now