Talk

Advanced search

to be really upset about losing my job?

(44 Posts)
ciabattav0nbreadstickz Wed 24-Feb-16 18:43:24

Found out today that the company I had started work for over feb half term has withdrawn my job offer. They sent me a letter saying that they had had a managers meeting and had decided that the company was going in a different direction that they had originally planned and that the job I had was no longer available.

By the sounds of the letter it doesn't seem that I did anything wrong but just that they have decided for whatever reason not have my job position anymore.

Really upset and hurt sad I thought I got on really well with the owners and the other staff, I enjoyed the work and had made plans to help move the company forward, even to the extent of buying small amounts of new equipment out of my own money. And they just sent me a letter with a wage slip in it, didn't even bother to call me and explain.

I felt really good about this job, it was the best paid job I've ever had and really good hours that were actually compatible with having a life outside work (a rarity in my job area) and just feel so gutted that I'm going to have to do the whole searching, interviewing, getting to know the staff and learning my way around the place all over again, most likely for less money and I'll have to work stupidly long hours again.

Aibu to be sad about this and had a bit of a weep?

gBean Wed 24-Feb-16 18:45:59

Oh no. I'm sorry that's awful. Work can be a huge part of your life so to lose your job through no fault of your own is really crap.

YANBU flowers

Katenka Wed 24-Feb-16 18:46:17

Oh of course Yanbu.

I am sorry, I don't really have any advice but just wanted to let you know it's not unreasonable.

thanks for you and hope you find something soon.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Wed 24-Feb-16 18:46:33

Are you sure they didn't just receive an awful reference about you??

scarlets Wed 24-Feb-16 18:49:43

That's awful. I would be so disappointed.

I'm a bit concerned that they don't seem to think that you could help them with their different "direction" though, given the chance. I think that there may be more to this, I'm afraid.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 24-Feb-16 18:51:00

Aww. I'm so sorry. YADNBU. What an awful thing to happen, and unfortunately the law allows them to do that. Imagine if you'd signed off unemployment benefits and had to go through the rigmarole of claiming again.
Not much of a consolation but flowerschocolatewine

woodcabernet Wed 24-Feb-16 18:53:18

You started working for them? So they've sacked you rather than withdrawn an offer? Make sure they pay you your notice in line with your contract

ciabattav0nbreadstickz Wed 24-Feb-16 18:58:13

It's possible This but I purposely didn't give my most recent previous job as a reference because they were arsehole to avoid that happening and only gave people who I knew would give me good references.

I suspect it could be a cost issue, the job I was doing for them I am fully qualified and a professional in. Consequently they were prepared to pay me more as they were going to benefit from my expertise in expanding the company and changing the 'direction of the business' to something a bit more upmarket. The person who was doing the job I took over was not qualifed or a professional and was considerably younger than me - the vast majority of the staff working there were under 18 and on minimum wage so I suspect they may have realised they couldn't afford me. But that is just speculation really.

ciabattav0nbreadstickz Wed 24-Feb-16 19:00:42

Wood, yes I had started working but had only done 9 days with them so far 9 days in a row without a day off to help them out

I hadn't been given an official contract yet as they needed me to start really quickly so no idea what the notice period should have been.

GabiSolis Wed 24-Feb-16 19:01:48

Oh I'm sorry. sad YANBU. Do you feel you can ask for more info? That seems very vague of them.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 24-Feb-16 19:04:09

I damn well hope they're going to pay you for those 9 days of work.

Witchend Wed 24-Feb-16 19:05:04

Most job applications I've done recently ask fir your most recent employer.
Are you sure they didn't go to your last place. Either through you naming it, or if you went to the previous them saying "but then she went to work for x".

boredofusername Wed 24-Feb-16 19:09:01

I'm really sorry to hear this. No advice, just flowers

It probably wasn't to do with the reference, I've also not used my most recent employer for a job reference, either because I didn't get on with the person who would be giving it, or because a previous employer was more relevant to the new job I wanted. Don't most employers take up references before you start, anyway?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 24-Feb-16 19:10:09

Ah. I suspect you've foiled it - if you didn't mention your last place, that probably made them wonder why.

I'm really sorry.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 24-Feb-16 19:10:30

I think under data protection laws. Potential employers are legally not allowed to go for a reference from a company if they've not been given permission. I could be wrong, though

BoffinMum Wed 24-Feb-16 19:17:51

That is disappointing, but it happens.

Try not to burn your bridges as leaving with dignity may pay off later.

They should probably give a reasonable notice period, regardless of whether a contract has been signed yet or not.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 24-Feb-16 19:20:44

Seems strange. Can I ask what profession you are in ?

ciabattav0nbreadstickz Wed 24-Feb-16 19:30:21

I did think it seemed very vague, I want to phone them and ask for more information, not to be arguementative or anything just because it would put my mind at ease I think rather than worrying and being upset. I'm slightly worried to though as I think I may well cry and get upset sad

They are going to pay me for the 9 days as they have already sent me the wage slip, due to go in to my bank tomorrow.

The letter/notice was effective immediately so as of today I don't have a job.

scallopsrgreat Wed 24-Feb-16 19:30:45

I had this happen to me years ago (and no it wasn't a reference issue). I hadn't started working with them but there quite a bit of time between me accepting the offer and me starting as I was finishing University. They sent me a dear john letter about a week before I was due to start. YANBU to be upset.

flowers wine

olivegardener Wed 24-Feb-16 19:32:30

That's rubbish OP, I would feel upset too sad

JolseBaby Wed 24-Feb-16 19:34:19

I can't believe that they didn't tell you this face to face, that's really shitty.

flowers for you OP. Really hope you find something soon.

notagiraffe Wed 24-Feb-16 19:35:19

Is it possible they hired you as a last ditch attempt to get them out of a financial mess and they realised this wasn't going to be possible, so their best bet was to stop paying out on one of the higher salaries?

I do think you deserve an exit interview though, with full feedback. You've barely started there, and it's perfectly human to wonder if you got off on the wrong foot.

serin Wed 24-Feb-16 19:37:58

Have you actually left a company and given up a job to go to them?

I would be bloody furious.

flowers

olivegardener Wed 24-Feb-16 19:38:31

Do you think they took advantage of your expertise? Did you work more than your contracted hours?

Stars1 Wed 24-Feb-16 19:40:15

I would be going back to retrieve the items that belong to you.

winethanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now