Talk

Advanced search

to not reply?

(16 Posts)
olivegardener Wed 24-Feb-16 18:35:58

Had a first lesson for a new skill a few months back.

Good teacher in many ways but I got strange vibes at the end of the class for a few reasons. Messaged the teacher to say thanks but no thanks, said I had a few things going over the next few months but would contact them when things had blown over in the new year. They replied, all fine.

Teacher messaged a couple of months back to ask if I wanted to carry on with lessons. I saw the message and thought I must reply but time passed and I forgot. They then messaged again, same thing but then I forgot blush I was also embarrassed I hadn't replied to the first one and it just became a bit of a cycle - burying it under the carpet! He has messaged a few times since. Latest message was yesterday and was a bit strange: he obviously knows who I am but has sent me a message as if I was someone else (friend? partner?), really chatty and asking about my day. He then messaged again today, "hey olivegardener, how's things? Fancy a chat soon?"

Should I say something? What can I say? I'm embarrassed I've let it build up to this point but then equally shouldn't he stop messaging now?

olivegardener Wed 24-Feb-16 18:37:13

The message yesterday was something like "hey dude, long time no see! shall we say next weds at 12?"

oldlaundbooth Wed 24-Feb-16 18:40:31

Block, block, block!

olivegardener Wed 24-Feb-16 18:47:49

Ok! I was expecting a unanimous YABU, thought I'd be slated for forgetting to reply in the first place - it is a bit weird isn't it?

Katenka Wed 24-Feb-16 18:56:27

I have been in the same position as this. I had said I wasn't coming back and try kept pushing and trying to talk me into it.

I ended up ignoring and blocking. They need clients, but some cross the line into creepy.

TiredButFineODFOJ Wed 24-Feb-16 18:57:43

It's a bit weird but could have been an attempt to see if you are ok/ignoring?

Personally I'd leave it a few days then reply saying, sorry I don't really use this address any more! Thanks for checking in but circumstances have changed so I won't be pursuing the course.

Then I'd block block block 24 hours later.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 24-Feb-16 19:00:41

Did he just use your first name. If it's not n unusual one there's a good chance he has more than one in his phone book and messaged you by mistake.

I'd reply "I assume that wasn't meant for me. Wrong Olive. Been meaning to text back to say I won't be pursuing xyz any further but thanks for evening. Olive Garden"

BitOutOfPractice Wed 24-Feb-16 19:01:27

Everything. Not evening. blush

olivegardener Wed 24-Feb-16 19:02:30

Thanks - it's a text though so I can't really use the email address excuse - gaaah blush this situation is of my own doing isn't it

I totally appreciate he needs clients and I feel bad now for ignoring sad

What should I say?

Irony though is that I'm self-employed and would prob get the message if I hadn't heard back from someone once or twice, would either assume they weren't on the same number or that they weren't interested anymore...

scarlets Wed 24-Feb-16 19:02:57

That's great advice from BitOut.

Cutecat78 Wed 24-Feb-16 19:04:09

What bitout said.

GruntledOne Wed 24-Feb-16 19:18:40

I'm wondering whether those latest messages are due to his email account being hacked. I've had one or two weird messages like that appearing to come from friends which really come from hackers.

GruntledOne Wed 24-Feb-16 19:20:07

Oops, just noticed it was a text. So maybe not the hacking explanation; but I do think he's probably texted you by mistake.

bakeoffcake Wed 24-Feb-16 19:24:05

He sounds awful.

You've only met him once, have told him you don't want to do his class and he keeps texting you. He should have got the message by now.

Send BitOut's text then block him.

APlaceOnTheCouch Wed 24-Feb-16 19:26:05

I don't think his message is that odd. It's a common sales technique to do a presumptive sale. He's probably also hoping that it will smoke you out so you reply one way or the other and he can take you off his list.

Just text back saying you're sorry you've taken so long to reply but your circumstances have changed and you're no longer interested.

BlueJug Wed 24-Feb-16 21:10:53

Not odd. If someone said they'd get back t you when they had less on it is good manners and good sales technique to follow that up.

I suspect the final message was a mistake - easy to do. (I sent a really inappropriate text to my accountant - MarkA - instead of to my favourite gay friend, - MarkB. The two names next to each other in Contacts blush

Send BitOut 's text making it clear you won't be coming back and then block the number.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now