to think that buses were designed as torture chambers for the pregnant?

(84 Posts)
LondonStill83 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:29:32

The lady sitting beside me has such bad gas I am surprised birds aren't falling from the sky.

A group of kids has just walked on with greasy chicken and chips.

No one was giving up a seat for an elderly man so I got up and got off the bus to wait for the next one- also to get some fresh air.

Two women at opposite sides of the bus shelter were smoking.

Got on next bus. Came upstairs as fewer smells and people. Now a mum is playing some sort of loud annoying cartoon to her daughter at full volume on her smart phone.

I want to cry.

Samcro Wed 24-Feb-16 16:32:16

get a taxi?

CooPie10 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:32:38

Get of the bus then?

CooPie10 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:32:44

Off

evilgiraffe Wed 24-Feb-16 16:34:41

What's this got to do with being pregnant? Yes, other people on public transport are irritating/revolting. It's no more unpleasant when you're pregnant than when you're not.

LondonStill83 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:35:17

Samcro I did that this morning to get to work, I just couldn't face the nausea and the bus.

Too expensive though to take home too!

LondonStill83 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:36:29

Evil giraffe maybe you have never been pregnant or had an easy pregnancy. I have taken the bus for years and tolerated it.

Being pregnant and constantly nauseous and with a headache that just won't go away DEFINITELY makes it worse.

LondonStill83 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:36:55

Coopie, I did get off and wait for the next one. See my op!

ComeonSummer1 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:37:04

God i remember when buses were thick with fag smoke.

They are much much better now.

ComeonSummer1 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:38:22

But sympathise op. Still horrible.

LondonStill83 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:42:05

Come on thankfully I moved here from Canada after that. I reckon that would just about do me in.

That fucking cartoon. I am seriously having a sense of humour fail.

Would it be rude to ask to turn it down or would I look like the pregnant loon that I feel???

GabiSolis Wed 24-Feb-16 16:42:57

I sympathise, buses can be awful, but this is nothing to do with being pregnant.

Unicorncatsack Wed 24-Feb-16 16:45:24

Public transport is way worse when you're pregnant. I've lived in London my whole life and it's been ten times as bad with a massive bump.

LondonStill83 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:47:03

Gabi; I have already explained that I mean it seems worse when you are pregnant because of the constant nausea, heightened sense of smell, and in general, heightened senses.

I think it's a pretty commonly accepted fact that pregnancy hormones have this effect.

LondonStill83 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:48:04

Unicorn, YES.

I am not even massive I just feel like crap In general and just want to be home.

Thought I would start a light hearted thread to keep me going but clearly I forgot where I was posting!!!!

blueturtle6 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:50:37

I know your pain I conmuted when pregnant and was sick every night getting off the bus, luckily lots of lovely people helped me. My worse day was when a little boy was sick on the bus. It'll pass and you'll have a beautiful newborn xx

ouryve Wed 24-Feb-16 16:50:38

I found the smells the hardest part of catching a bus, when I was pregnant with DS1. Like on a full bus on an unseasonably hot late March day, sat next to a bloke who thought Lynx was a substitute for soap and water.

Or the bus when some little darlings thought it hilarious to throw a stink bomb on board.

Now the stink bomb would still make me retch, but at least, most days of the month, I'm less affected by other people's smells. Usually.

ComeonSummer1 Wed 24-Feb-16 16:50:59

Don't worry op ignore the grumps. grin

Upduffed people are allowed to grumble. smile

HandsoffGary Wed 24-Feb-16 16:51:08

You have my sympathy. I struggled with smells on public transport when pregnant, I nearly vomited on someone on a train eating a big mac!

I found that eating or sucking a sweet actually helped. Foxes Glacier fruits and Salt and vinegar sticks from M&S were life savers.

Can you get a train instead of a bus? or lift share with a colleague? (although when pregnant my colleagues breath was an issue up close too!).

ouryve Wed 24-Feb-16 16:52:52

And is it just me and the OP who developed a super sensitive sense of smell in pregnancy?

Happens to me on the first day of my period, too. Everything stinks!

Teladi Wed 24-Feb-16 16:53:51

I am a bus commuter too and had to get off the bus a few times to vomit when I was pregnant due to smells, making me late for work. Really annoying! I also once got stuck trying to get up to the top desk of the bus. You have my heartfelt sympathy. I have used public transport to commute for 10 years and only found it unbearable during pregnancy!

evilgiraffe Wed 24-Feb-16 17:00:24

I'm 35 weeks into my second pregnancy, ans often travel by bus, thanks, OP. The list of bus travel woes you mention have still got bugger all to do with being pregnant.

GabiSolis Wed 24-Feb-16 17:04:50

I commuted on trains and buses when pregnant, so I do get it. Like I said I do sympathise, but honestly those things have nothing to do with being pregnant and they are horrid for everyone.

LondonStill83 Wed 24-Feb-16 17:07:47

Thanks all,

I am really struggling with pregnancy so I appreciate all the kind responses.

It's so hard to feel this way and still have a busy job / life, especially when it takes you across london in rush hour.

Will steal the sweets idea as well as keep some lemonade on me- it seems to help.

I got off and vomited twice.

Please tell me this gets better! Am 8 weeks and feel like a bloodhound.

Eminado Wed 24-Feb-16 17:13:17

Not sure why people are being so harsh to you but I am stuck on a train and the smells are killing me too (15 weeks here).

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now