Talk

Advanced search

To think this is ridiculous...

(20 Posts)
Spudlet Wed 24-Feb-16 10:50:01

Picked up a pack of Boots breastfeeding vitamins today. I've been taking my leftover pregnancy ones, but since they had run out, I thought I might as well get some designed for the purpose.

Looked at the back of the pack when I got home, and it says 'please consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any medication or are pregnant, breastfeeding, trying to become pregnant [etc etc]'

Really? confused Why would you be taking them if you weren't breastfeeding!

AIBU to think that manufacturers just bung this warning onto everything to cover their own backs and have therefore rendered it essentially meaningless? hmm

Katenka Wed 24-Feb-16 10:55:06

They have to unfortunately

imwithspud Wed 24-Feb-16 11:06:21

I think it's something they have to do. I wouldn't pay much mind to it. At a guess I'd say it applies more to people who might have certain medical problems/deficiencies.

Spudlet Wed 24-Feb-16 11:13:36

It just makes me smile, it's that daft (IMO).

Although I do think that there is a degree of over caution at times!

There's a picture of a smiley lady with a baby attached to her boob and everything, I doubt anyone not breastfeeding would pick them up by mistake grin

startingmylifeagain Wed 24-Feb-16 11:16:27

It's a legal disclaimer to protect them. It appears everywhere.
My fave is "May cause drowsiness" on a packet of sleeping tablets smile

Andrewofgg Wed 24-Feb-16 11:23:37

"Do not drive or operate heavy machinery" on a box of pills for cats.

honeylulu Wed 24-Feb-16 11:25:57

"May contain nuts" ... on a packet of peanuts. I should bloody well hope so!

Spudlet Wed 24-Feb-16 11:36:34

andrewofgg I've just checked the dog's wormer and there's no such disclaimer - going to look for a part time job for him HGV driving this afternoon grin

It does say for animals only, but given that I know someone who used to dose her children with horse wormer, I'll give them a pass on that one!

tinyterrors Wed 24-Feb-16 11:55:59

It's purely to cover the manufacturer for people with no sense.

My favourite is the "may contain nuts" on a packet of nuts.

BlueMoonRising Wed 24-Feb-16 12:00:40

"May contain nuts" ... on a packet of peanuts. I should bloody well hope so!

That's not as daft as it sounds - peanuts are technically a legume (like beans and peas), not a nut.

Andrewofgg Wed 24-Feb-16 12:16:28

Spudlet Why part-time? Make him earn his keep!

KitKat1985 Wed 24-Feb-16 12:30:48

I know someone who used to dose her children with horse wormer

Unexpected thread twist there. Why on earth did she do that?

Ijustshatadiamond Wed 24-Feb-16 12:32:56

On a bottle of Childs medicine-
May cause drowsiness. Do not drink, drive or operate machinery

Speccytacular Wed 24-Feb-16 12:38:56

I once bought a pair of shoes from a well known high-street retailer. On the sole of the shoe was a sticker that said, 'not for excessive outdoor use'. confused

scarednoob Wed 24-Feb-16 12:41:08

Does it mean other medication? Or the pills in the packet? [facepalm]

SatsukiKusakabe Wed 24-Feb-16 12:56:21

You should have started a thread about the horse-wormer woman OP grin

SatsukiKusakabe Wed 24-Feb-16 12:58:33

I guess though, that even if breastfeeding, you might have been prescribed some heavy duty iron tablets or whatever so maybe you need to make sure you are not overdosing on anything that might be in the vitamins too.

BalloonSlayer Wed 24-Feb-16 13:09:11

On movicol junior for under 12s - "consult with your Doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding."

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that one.

Spudlet Wed 24-Feb-16 15:38:28

Never underestimate the levels of crazy a true crazy horse lady can reach, guys grin

I'm pretty sure all of them made it to adulthood so it can't have done much harm...?

KatharinaRosalie Wed 24-Feb-16 15:49:01

Peanut packet warning is not ridiculous at all, someone can be allergic to tree nuts, but not peanuts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now