to be convinced I'm pregnant despite a negative test?

(19 Posts)
SashaFierce99 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:22:17

DP and I had unprotected sex four weeks ago on Thursday. I have felt dizzy, sick and tired at the same time most days, have had increased cervical mucus, cramping on and off, lower back pain, a 'heavy' feeling down below and most noticeably I'm so bloated that I look about 3/4 months pregnant shock

I am breastfeeding and haven't had my period back yet so I can't be late but did test today, and it was negative. However, I have never felt so certain I'm pregnant. Three people have asked if I'm pregnant because of the bloating and I'm having to cover up to avoid more doing so. DP can't explain the bloating but thinks I'm definitely not pregnant because of the negative test. I think I could have tested too soon. Aibu to think you can just know?

TattyDevine Tue 23-Feb-16 23:25:09

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't?

CowPatRoberts Tue 23-Feb-16 23:26:35

Helpful hmm

Cutecat78 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:28:39

It might be too early.

I had a negative with DD 17 years ago and was convinced I was.

She arrived on time 7 1/2 months later smile

Cutecat78 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:29:48

Was also convinced I was as was my friend smile

waitingimpatient Tue 23-Feb-16 23:31:41

What test did you use and was it fmu?

Best tests are superdrug early test or first response as they are the most sensitive. It may have been a false negative you got so worth testing again

Xmasbaby11 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:32:51

I'd expect the test to work by now, but test again in a few days. Having unprotected sex has probably put it in your head so it's impossible to say.

I didn't have those symptoms when I was first pregnant apart from feeling rough.

Fatmomma99 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:35:34

This makes me sound like a pervert, but how are your breasts?

Most women I know, knew it in their breasts before anywhere else (tender, swollen and those who'd already had one said "milky").

If you're still breastfeeding, your hormones might be all over the place, hence it not showing up (I should clarify - this is bollocks from my head, I'm not someone with any professional wisdom), but I do believe some people really are in tune with their bodies, and that we have a connection with our unborn child.

Congrats if you are!

SashaFierce99 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:39:14

With my other pregnancies I was surprised when it was positive but now I have so many symptoms I was very surprised it was negative. It wasn't first morning urine but was a clear blue digital test. With my last baby it was 5 weeks after conception that I tested and I only had a very faint line at first which is why I'm thinking I may have tested too early?

I'm not clinging desperately to the hope that I'm pregnant; I would be happy either way. I just can't see a reason for the symptoms suddenly appearing other than pregnancy.

SashaFierce99 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:40:45

My breasts are a bit more sensitive. Baby dd has been feeding loads more than usual during the night

UterusUterusGhali Tue 23-Feb-16 23:41:09

Clear blue aren't the most sensitive, I believe. You need a cheapy.

Has baby gone off the breast? Or does that come later?

Pollyputhtekettleon Tue 23-Feb-16 23:41:51

If you had unprotected sex 4 weeks ago you would be 6 wks ish pregnant so it should be well showing up if you ae pregnant so I think YABU.

I'd say though that you might be gearing up to having your first period. Your symptoms sound like me in the run up to my period starting again when breastfeeding the last 3 times.

waitingimpatient Tue 23-Feb-16 23:42:52

Clear blue digital are not that sensitive so could very well be a false negative !
Def retest with a more sensitive test

FuzzyOwl Tue 23-Feb-16 23:44:36

That sounds a little bit how I looked and felt just before my periods returned after pregnancy. Generally speaking, if you have enough hcg to have pregnancy symptoms then you will get a positive test.

SashaFierce99 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:51:50

I thought that about getting ready for periods to start again but didn't feel like this before they started again when breastfeeding previous children - it came as a complete (unwelcome!) surprise and was a year further on than I am now (other DC were all 2+ before periods resumed).

toadierocks Tue 23-Feb-16 23:58:27

Yeah sounds to me like you're about to start your periods again or brewing up for your first ovulation since baby.

At 6 weeks pregnant all tests would show up +..... even clear blue ones ...... unless you're the one in a million women who do not produce enough HCG....... more likely you're due on.

minipie Tue 23-Feb-16 23:58:47

Hmmm well I was convinced I was pg several times while TTCing, all wrong (the month I actually conceived I had no symptoms). So I was going to say YABU...

...but then I saw you used a clear blue digital. They are rubbish. and not fmu either! Go get yourself a first response (non digital) and test tomorrow morning and come and tell us smile

AndNowItsSeven Wed 24-Feb-16 00:36:02

Poundland tests are the best, the cardboard ones. The nhs use the same ones.

Monty27 Wed 24-Feb-16 00:45:39

I was convinced I couldn't be once, all the symptoms were there and I couldn't distinguish it from pregnancy or hormones so I did a test and the line was ever so slightly blue. He's 20yo now :D :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now