Talk

Advanced search

To quit my job after just 9 months?

(25 Posts)
PiperChapstick Tue 23-Feb-16 22:45:04

my current job is great, fantastic employer etc but the work is a little bit boring and the days feel long. Also it's 30 miles away from my house so I end up travelling 60 miles a day. I do car share once or twice a week, but I still spend anything from £60-£90 a month on fuel.

Also I work 4 days a week, and I can't request fewer days until I've been there a year. I'm really feeling the strain of long hours (leave house at 8, not back til around 6.15) and also only getting a day during the week with DD for myself. She spends 3 days a week in nursery, which she loves, but I personally find it too many (and expensive)

I had an interview on Monday, for a job closer to home, about a mile away. They offered me the position today. It's the same pay FTE equivalent, but one day less a week. Having done calculations, by the time I save money on nursery (about £220 a month, as I'll drop a day and also she can do shorter hours what with me being closer) and petrol money, I'll end up with roughly the same in my pocket as I do now. It's also flexi-time, which I would love! So I think it's a no-brainier.

BUT...I've only been in my current job 9 months and I think they would be massively pissed off with me. I've been on 2 training courses so far at their expense, and it is a good team, but I don't think my skills lie in that particular job.

So if you were my boss would you be annoyed that I'm handing in my notice after 9 months?

MagicAlwaysLeadsToTrouble Tue 23-Feb-16 22:46:50

Probably but don't let that bother you!

Go for the new job, sounds like everything you want.

DramaAlpaca Tue 23-Feb-16 22:48:58

They probably will be, but you need to do what's right for you so I wouldn't worry about it. The new job sounds perfect.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 23-Feb-16 22:50:27

Of course I'd be annoyed. But that doesn't change anything. As long as you give the required notice, you're not doing anything wrong.

It doesn't sound like the right job for you and you have a considerable commute. The conditions are tempting - I would just make sure the job role is what you want this time as you wouldn't want to move again in 9 months (that would look bad).

BestIsWest Tue 23-Feb-16 22:52:24

Don't worry what they think, you have to do what's best for you.

Ughnotagain Tue 23-Feb-16 22:56:18

Christ, what they think doesn't matter! Are you ever going to see these people again? You have to do what's best for you and your family.

boys3 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:00:54

YANBU. Yes they could be a bit put out, but would probably understand the circumstances. Saving the travel has many benefits and not just financial ones.

Devil's advocate. You give them notice ; they offer you a meaningful inducement to stay. Would you still leave?

thefutureisOrange Tue 23-Feb-16 23:12:27

Yes, your boss will probably be pissed off, but you need to do what is right for you.

Remind your boss that you can't even request fewer days until a year, and that your new employer is able to do that from the start.

TBH it sounds like a no-brainer to me. Good luck in your new job smile

BigQueenBee Tue 23-Feb-16 23:27:33

You need to do what's right for you. If you are not all that keen on your job now, I don't think things will get any better with time
I have had some God awful jobs that I've stuck with until I can't take any more and eventually left feeling both guilty and drained.

StickyToffeePuddingAndCustard Wed 24-Feb-16 00:03:54

It's just business, they'll get over it in no time.

Do what's best for you.

Fatmomma99 Wed 24-Feb-16 00:08:03

Agree with everyone above. Well done on getting a job which is going to work better for you.

When you write your letter of resignation you can absolutely say "I wish to resign because the long commute and hours don't work for me, but this has been a great organisation to work for, and I'll miss you all" ( or similar), and that will help take the sting out of it.

Don't be held back by feelings of guilt over this - work doesn't operate that way!

DarkDarkNight Wed 24-Feb-16 00:09:21

Agree with everyone above! Do what is right for you and your family. It really is just business, they've probably dealt with it before.

I use to have a long commute before I had a child, it was exhausting. I would t like to do it with a child. The new job sounds like a great opportunity,mi would snatch their hand off.

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 24-Feb-16 00:12:04

Who cares if they are, that's business. You really need to do what's right for you and your DC, not them. Hand in notice tomorrow!

Alasalas Wed 24-Feb-16 00:21:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Atenco Wed 24-Feb-16 03:37:48

I am a great believer in loyalty, but experience has shown that companies are not generally loyal to their employees.

nevertakeyouriphoneinthebath Wed 24-Feb-16 03:41:56

Bosses are often annoyed or disappointed after having investing money and effort in training you. That doesn't mean you should be a martyr. At the end of the day you need to do what's best for your family and there seems to be no benefit to staying where you are, only downsides.

I am sure your boss would do the same if the boot was on the other foot.

jellyjiggles Wed 24-Feb-16 03:47:29

Take the new job!

Quality of life and family come first!

Happy mum is a happy house, happy kids.

Your freeing up your role which will be great for someone else.

daisychain01 Wed 24-Feb-16 04:06:38

BefSlightly off topic but related.

Please make absolutely certain you have written confirmation of tge new job offer and check ts and cs are as expected before breaking the news to your current manager.

It's good that you care about letting the current employers down don't lose that ethic it is important to have a conscience. Obviously you must do what's right for your family. Maybe next time consider things like distance from home as a deciding factor. It's kinda like accepting an invitation and then accepting a different one because it sounds better. Just saying....

All the best new job sounds ideal.

Ditsy4 Wed 24-Feb-16 04:33:26

Agree write your letter of resignation stating the reasons and saying you are reluctant but it is impacting too much on quality of family life and your health and you have found something more suitable close to home. If your boss has family they will understand. Just add how much you have enjoyed working with such a fantastic team and me nation the boss too. Good luck with the new position. You can never get back family time but you can have other jobs when kids grow up.

Cookingongas Wed 24-Feb-16 04:43:37

If I were your boss I'd be put out, potentially ask you to work an extra week if it was a busy period to give me time to arrange a replacement. But not annoyed. It's business. Turnover is normal, and expected. Especially with families and long commutes etc.
plus generally, it's an employers market atm- there'll likely be people lining up for your job.

Leave your job, take the new more convenient job, and always work where suits you and your family best.

Becca1818 Wed 24-Feb-16 05:51:05

I could have written this (without the other job offer) so I think you would regret no doing it.
Don't worry about them being upset, you won't have to see them again. They'll replace you. Or if you like the people and they value you you could negotiate 3 days.

redexpat Wed 24-Feb-16 06:39:14

DK ykh think that if there was a business case for making you redundant they would um and ah over whether you would be pissed off? No? There's your answer.

icelollycraving Wed 24-Feb-16 07:38:16

Take the new job! Congratulations!
As long as there is no clause in your contract for leaving before a certain period to recoup training costs then there is no reason not to. Tell them the reason but prepared if they say you could drop a day as that may be easier than recruiting.

PiperChapstick Wed 24-Feb-16 18:38:58

Well I did it! It was horrible, but my boss was very good and understanding but disappointed I think.

I'm annoyed though as she asked if she could tell her boss and the other manager, so they could talk about my replacement arrangements, and I said yes but I didn't want it going any further. The reason being I wanted to speak to people myself. Well tonight I've had Facebook messages from colleagues asking me about it. A manager (not my boss) has spread the news. Very pissed off angry

On the upside I got my offer letter from other job today!

oldlaundbooth Wed 24-Feb-16 18:41:29

Take the new job.

You will not regret it, you don't owe them anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now