Talk

Advanced search

To want my dd cough to bugger off??

(20 Posts)
Muskateersmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 20:44:42

Every night, as I sit down for my tea it starts! Home alone tonight so have bolted down my tea to sit upstairs with her and yep it's stopped!!

Oh it also quite likes 5am too.... On the plus side looks like I'm in for an early night!

Anyone else got the annoying night cough in their house?!

scarednoob Tue 23-Feb-16 20:49:03

Not at the moment, but I do sympathise. I'm one of those people who generally avoids colds etc, but when one does get me, it goes right on my chest, EVERY time. Lying down makes it worse and trying to sleep is a nightmare. Tickle tickle tickle... Grrr!

So fist bumps to your DD and hope she kicks its nasty arse soon.

RigginsCanRead Tue 23-Feb-16 20:49:55

Yes! I am trying cough syrup, vaporub on chest & back, olbas oil on a tissue and in a bowl of water under the radiator and I've raised the head of the bed. And still when 3 am rolls round...
You have all my sympathy!

UndramaticPause Tue 23-Feb-16 20:50:25

Has she been checked for asthma? Night cough is a sign of it

Muskateersmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 20:53:07

Not recently undramatic I figured it was part of the cold/ear infection lurgy. I'm normally not paranoid about the cough, but she made herself sick the other night so now I'm all PFB about it!

How long should I leave it before taking her to be checked out do you think?

UndramaticPause Tue 23-Feb-16 20:54:39

Probably wait until she's over the virus and see if it lingers

cheapandcheerful Tue 23-Feb-16 20:56:22

I would also suggest that it might be asthmatic...

hufflebottom Tue 23-Feb-16 20:56:30

There is a cough going round dd has one. Worse in the early morning. So the cough medicine goes to bed with me, I give her a spoonful if she wakes at 4/5.

I put a cup of water in her room too

Muskateersmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 20:57:51

Thanks both. Will keep an eye on it. And will get myself an early night ready for the early morning cough call!

Muskateersmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 20:58:57

Sounds very familiar huffle I also give her a spoonful of honey and it helps to soothe it between cough medicine doses

scarednoob Tue 23-Feb-16 21:00:27

I'm asthmatic - hence why it settles on my chest. Agree it is worth having her checked, but if she is old enough to explain, you could ask her if her chest feels tight. Asthma is like trying to breathe through a straw; it's a very distinctive sensation. Hopefully not one that she is having and hopefully she doesn't have it.

UndramaticPause Tue 23-Feb-16 21:01:21

If she's young she may describe it as a tummy ache

Muskateersmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 21:09:03

She's 3. She is on the atopic spectrum so it's possible, she has hay fever and eczema. She was a premature baby. Maybe I'll get her an appointment to be checked out just to be on the safe side.

UndramaticPause Tue 23-Feb-16 21:15:21

So she fits all the criteria then. Poor kid, hoping it's not asthma and it's just a cold

Muskateersmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 21:16:50

I hope so too... Thank you undramatic

sparklesnpearls Tue 23-Feb-16 22:18:07

Both my kids had coughs which seemed like weeks every single night, they were diagnosed with childhood asthma and like doc said they grew out of it around 6/7.

My third child has different father and thankfully doesn't get coughs as bad

arethereanyleftatall Tue 23-Feb-16 22:53:49

Both my dc had this when they were under 5. Every cough and cold went to their chest and they ended up a few times in hospital on salbutamol. Always worse at night. My eldest grew out of it at 5, and fingers crossed it looks like dd2 will do too.

Onthedowns Wed 24-Feb-16 01:23:15

Hi my dd is currently same! But had a cough and cold most of winter! Took her to gp who suggested sabutamol twice a day been doing this for a week and no improvement in fact it's worse! Told me to come back in a month! I am at wits end surely if asthmatic it would help? I have appt booked ! Not a peep during day though! But lack of sleep for everyone in house including her!

Friendlystories Wed 24-Feb-16 01:52:59

I agree get her checked for asthma but in the short term have you tried Vicks on the soles of her feet? I didn't believe for a second it would work but DD had a nasty cough recently which was markedly worse when she lay down to sleep so I tried it just to see and it worked! Can't say for certain it wasn't coincidence as she'd had the cough a few days already when I first tried it but we went from several bouts of coughing through the night, bad enough to wake her up, to pretty much nothing from the first night of using it. Worth a try, can't hurt anyway.

Muskateersmummy Wed 24-Feb-16 07:19:04

Thanks all. She slept better is downstairs barking away now sad

Hope everyone managed some sleep last night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now