Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is my landlord?

(15 Posts)
coralpig Tue 23-Feb-16 17:26:15

I live in rented accommodation that is normally let to students - I am a mature student myself and this is my second year in the property after I renewed my lease.

It is now letting season and I have let me landlord know that I would like to leave the property at the end of the tenancy. As is normal, I excepted lots of viewings and I have always accommodated these even at short notice (20 hours notice rather than the full 24). The landlord has their own agency but also markets the property with an additional 4 agencies. I keep the property quite clean and tidy and I've always paid my rent on time.

For the last few months, I have had no less than 4 separate requests from agents to come to the property to take new photos for marketing purposes. Their photos are very old. I think this is unreasonable as surely a landlord/ landlord's agency should be able to supply photos to the various letting agents that they use. A few times these photographer appointments have been made and then cancelled without letting me know.

Landlord wrote to me on Friday letting me know that a photographer would come out Monday. I accommodated and nobody turned up. They write to me today to let me know he got held up and would be coming next Tuesday instead.

I've written a response to the email saying, yes they can come but that this was unreasonable and inconvenient. I have said that I do not mind accommodating viewings but not multiple visits from photographers. I asked them to confirm whether this would be the last photographer visit? I'm yet to have a response.

Here's why it's inconvenient for me:
- I often work from home and schedule regular telephone interviews/ Skype meetings due to the nature of my job. The window for the photographer visits are massive (10am-4pm) meaning that I am disturbed.

- even though the landlord/ agents can pick up their own key to let themselves in and this is outlined in the email, I prefer to be around if there's a stranger, alone in my home. It's just a personal preference. That's not always possible especially with last minute cancellations

AIBU? Happy to be told that I am.

Osolea Tue 23-Feb-16 17:58:00

Speaking as a landlord, YANBU. I would never be that cheeky and inconsiderate to my tenants.

hotcrossbun83 Tue 23-Feb-16 18:19:25

YANBU. I wouldn't avoid scheduling work calls, if they arrived then they'll have to wait for you to finish. I also wouldn't make extra effort to tidy up if they keep cancelling

JessieMcJessie Tue 23-Feb-16 18:31:42

YABU however to think that the landlord should have pics to give the agents. Doing nice pics is very much part of the agents' service and they will distinguish themselves from other agents by trying to have the best pics. However YANBU about the slots being too long and more notice being needed. I'd also fire an agent who inconvenienced my tenant by failing to show up.

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 23-Feb-16 18:41:39

YANBU at all, I would ask for notice of a properly designated time slot and only agree when one is given. Ridiculously inconvenient for you.

specialsubject Tue 23-Feb-16 19:41:31

go read the 'how to rent' booklet on gov.uk and get informed of your rights (assuming the landlord doesn't live there and you are on an AST)

Redglitter Tue 23-Feb-16 19:44:40

I'm curious as a tenant (who has no plans on moving) would I be obliged to let the agency photograph my flat. It looks a million times better than it did when the last photos were taken. I rent unfurnished so everything in it is mine. Not sure I'd fancy my stuff being uses for photos.

Redglitter Tue 23-Feb-16 19:45:12

Hit send too soon. Are you obliged as a tenant to allow it

JeanneDeMontbaston Tue 23-Feb-16 20:40:31

YANBU. You've been very good to allow viewings. Although contracts often have a clause stating that you must do this, at the end of the day it is your home, and the law states that you have the right to quiet enjoyment, which means you are entitled to refuse non-emergency visits. You could simply refuse all further visits (though I wouldn't, because it's just not very courteous). But you can certainly say you've had enough of being messed around when you're busy and working from home!

londonrach Tue 23-Feb-16 20:49:22

Yanbu. You dont have to allow viewings even if in your contract. Please talk to cab. Can never understand why ll or ea dont treat tenants with more respect as they need their agreement for access unless its a check up or maintance need. They should have let you know they wont coming. Why does the ll need new photos. I wouldnt be happy to have my furiture and belongings in photos for x amount of years!

MeadowHay Tue 23-Feb-16 22:08:42

YANBU. Those time slots are patently ridiculous! You should definitely ask for a smaller time slot and explain why it's a problem for you (the nature of your work). I am a tenant and would be very annoyed with this as it is, and I do not work from home like you do, or in fact am employed at all (I am a student). I also agree that I don't like people entering the flat without me or my partner being in but that is mainly because we have two guinea pigs and I have an irrational fear/discomfort about strangers being near them without me (excepting pet sitter who of course is different situation).

kawliga Tue 23-Feb-16 23:29:47

YANBU but in my experience you have very few options when you're dealing with an unreasonable landlord. There are two types of landlords, reasonable and unreasonable. If you get the latter there's really nothing you can do, other than try to make them see reason (they won't) or else give up your job and your studies in order to devote yourself full time to arguing with the landlord (which obviously you can't do). Rock, meet hard place.

Once you give notice, unreasonable landlords can make your life a misery. They don't care, because you're leaving anyway.

coralpig Wed 24-Feb-16 11:48:44

They've written me today saying it will be the last time photographers visit but haven't replied to the bit of my e-mail where I asked for a smaller window. Infuriating.

Katarzyna79 Wed 24-Feb-16 11:56:38

this is why i hate renting. Same happens with inspections snd viewings. Wecr thinking of a tiny 5 bed rather than dream home coz we r sick of it. The time frame is skways all day. My husbands bugs them until they tell us a.m or pm, or they need to call us before setting out.

Yanbu

specialsubject Wed 24-Feb-16 11:57:36

you've got rights. Exercise them. Say 'no'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now