to wonder what on earth I did to prompt this reaction (driving related)

(63 Posts)
ihateminecraft Tue 23-Feb-16 16:12:40

I was just driving DD home from school, a journey I do every single day. I was driving down the local High Street in slowish moving traffic, probably 15-20 mph max. I did notice that a big white X5 was behind me all the way down the street. I then signalled to turn right into a side road and moved to the crown of the road. Suddenly, I heard a loud, aggressive BEEEEP. I was puzzled as I knew I'd performed a very normal manoeuvre that I do every day so turned round in time to see the X5 go past with driver guestering at me aggressively (the windows were tinted so hard to see the gender). Unless I'm being really thick, I've no clue what I did wrong. I signalled in good time, the traffic wasn't moving quickly and my positioning didn't prevent them from passing me. I can think of nothing I did prior to turning off to provoke such a reaction as I was merely driving for less than half a mile along a straight road at normal speed for the flow of traffic. I did note down the number plate as I half considered reporting them for intimidating, aggressive driving (but probably won't).

SO, is this person a massive dick or am I a shit driver???

AlpacaLypse Tue 23-Feb-16 16:14:16

Massive dick by the sound of it...

AlpacaLypse Tue 23-Feb-16 16:15:05

If only for having a white Audi A5 with tinted windows!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 23-Feb-16 16:16:22

Do your indicators/brake lights work? Other than that sounds like a massive twat with a superiority complex.

OurBlanche Tue 23-Feb-16 16:17:36

Ah! That'll be the same man who drove round town in the left hand lane, always turning right, and kept shouting at me, gesticulating. We stopped at traffic lights and I wound my window down and, pointing at the arrows on the road, asked if it was OK with him if I went straight over the lights.

He again tried to cut me up and got all angry with me for being in his way.

He was a pillock. I suspect you met him or a relative smile

MadamDeathstare Tue 23-Feb-16 16:20:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YakTriangle Tue 23-Feb-16 16:21:07

Definitely sounds like someone who spends the whole time he's in his car critiquing other people's driving instead of concentrating on his own, gets aggressive when people fail to do things at the speed of light and probably keys other cars if they park too close to his house.
Yeah, so, a dickhead.

Whosthemummy16 Tue 23-Feb-16 16:22:05

I had similar the other day, someone was tail gating me on a country lane, as I came around the corner there was a car on my side of the road so I braked suddenly, the driver behind me lost it !! Blasting his horn, full beam lights, waving his arms and swearing. Got to a t junction he then overtook me as I turned right at the t junction then started slamming his brakes on but as I kept more than a decent amount of stopping distance between my car and his it was pointless.
I was terrified, heavily pregnant and on my own on a country lane wasn't fun !!
I don't know what he was expecting me to do! I was going quite slowly as I didn't know the road but not too slow just safely and I didn't have a choice but to brake to avoid a head on collision. But it's really shook me up and ive lost all confidence driving, my dp has got me a dash cam to go in my car now, but it's really put me off driving on my own!

ProfGrammaticus Tue 23-Feb-16 16:22:37

He sounds like a nob. Check your brake lights and indicators, just in case.

MaidOfStars Tue 23-Feb-16 16:24:35

Check your lights.

somewheresomehow Tue 23-Feb-16 16:33:29

If there's someone driving like a dick you can guarantee its an Audi driver

ihateminecraft Tue 23-Feb-16 16:36:09

Brakes & indicators all fine. The road isn't particularly wide so they may have had to slow down a bit to squeeze past but, had I been driving a monster like them, they would’ve had to wait until I could turn.

ricketytickety Tue 23-Feb-16 16:45:06

There are plenty of people who turn into dicks when behind the wheel. They want to go somewhere and get there quick without the inconvenience of other people needing to go elsewhere / drive carefully in front of them.

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Tue 23-Feb-16 16:46:39

Obviously you were in their bit of the road. How very dare you!!!!

If you have friendly community PCSO or copper maybe they can go round and get their version of events for your own amusement.

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Tue 23-Feb-16 16:47:54

Their being the other driver

Phone decided it was going to post without letting me finish😡

TheWitTank Tue 23-Feb-16 16:47:56

Some people are just utter twats behind the wheel.
I had similar years ago. Was doing the exact speed limit on a main but country road -lots of tight bends and deer warning signs. It really isn't safe to go faster than the speed limit for these reasons, plus lorries occasionally go over the white lines on blind bends so requires a lot of concentration and the ability to brake in time! Had a car tailgating me for a couple of miles -right up my chuff, I could see him head shaking and gesticulating, presumably for me to go over the speed limit. I ignored him and carried on normally. Angry bloke then decides to try and overtake on a very short section of straight road with an upcoming blind bend. Aggressively swerves out and floors it to take over -car comes around the bend. Angry man has to drop back swiftly and brake hard to fit in the gap. Can see him literally steaming with rage. He managed to overtake again dangerously, shortly after and was gesticulating at me and kept braking sharply and slowing to a near halt and then speeding off again. It was totally bizarre, I had literally done nothing but drive normally at the speed limit, not slowly, not obstructing him in any way. Luckily I turned off a few minutes later and got rid of him. Presume he was having a bad day! I would have pulled over had there been a lay by but there was no safe place. Lights etc all working, no issues there.

jemimastar Tue 23-Feb-16 16:48:00

somewhere I'd have to disagree, BMW or Mercedes drivers all the way though.

BunnyTyler Tue 23-Feb-16 16:48:01

Ha!
Obviously a brother to the utter knob-cheese that gesticulated in a vexed manner at me today whilst leaning on his horn!!

I had done nothing wrong either, I think the wank-pot had not been concentrating himself and had one of those moments where they simply need to hold someone else accountable for their shit driving.

I simply flicked the finger at him out of my window, which caused more angry beeping so I laughed.

Your Audi driver was clearly a knobber as well - I'd just forget about it.

KinkyAfro Tue 23-Feb-16 16:49:44

An X5 isn't an Audi, it's a BMW

OurBlanche Tue 23-Feb-16 16:52:14

As a BMW driver I take that personally! Stupid stereotypes!

Pedestriana Tue 23-Feb-16 16:59:30

Hm, had something similar happen to me.
Three blokes in the front of a white van, tailgating me along a road with variable speed limit.
I was doing 40 in the 40 bit, then slowed to 30 in the 30 bit. Apparently this was wrong. They got closer and closer to my bumper.
I then indicated to turn off which caused more abuse.
I can only assume they were so near they couldn't see my indicator.

PuckyMup Tue 23-Feb-16 17:01:19

Audi drivers are assholes .. I think you need to pass a test to get the keys to one.

I also suspect that as part of this test Audi drivers are told indicators will blow them up as they never bloody use them!!

Sonotkylie Tue 23-Feb-16 17:01:34

Interesting. I think other driver was a total prat too BUT a number of my friends believe that if you have someone behind you who indicates that they wish to drive faster than you, YOU should pull over and let them do so. I think that is insane as frankly, you might never get home, but there is another view. May not apply to OP but might to some of the other stories eg about driving on country lanes.

wotoodoo Tue 23-Feb-16 17:03:14

You did nothing wrong but unfortunately for the driver, having such a short fuse and road rage and all the other problems that come with aggression of this type will send him to an early grave.

That fact has been proven. So feel sorry for the driver op, what a shame eh?

snowymountaintops Tue 23-Feb-16 17:04:08

It's horrible isn't it. I was turning right this morning in village high street and letting out a taxi van first to then get promptly hooted at and stupid fuckwit shrugging and gesticulating and then driving up over the pavement to get around me. To my horror I felt like bursting into tears but managed to talk myself out of it. I hate them with a passion, bet it wouldn't be the same if you were both walking on the pavement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now